Getting an error

Material specifically relating to SMBC and related projects.
Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

TwoBuy wrote:Apparently Canadia has better laws for enforcing good behavior towards Walmarts. I don't think there are full-time Walmart employees here.
Funny you should say that, actually. I think they are trying the same tactic here. They seem to be doing everything they can to force out long-term employees by messing with their schedules that they've had for a long time. Basically they are forcing everyone into an open-availability situation, so that no one has the weekends off all of the time. Including those who've been working for the store for 5+ years. Or not working with them regarding their schedules at all. I think what they really want is a bunch of minimum wage part-timers that have no real sense of advancing, so that they never have to pay much for staffing.

ruotwocone
sock-puppet of the infinite

Post by ruotwocone »

that's how most US retailers work - it's the only way a lot of them can stay profitable, but i don't think that's a problem for walmart. When I worked at Sears in college, you didn't start to earn paid vacation days until you been with the company for a year. So lo and behold after about 13 months there, I all of the sudden wasn't doing a very good job and they forced me out taking my hours way down and writing me up all the time for my "poor" performance.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

There is a difference for me an my cohorts, as we work in the back room receiving. Generally you get a "more mature" sort working that type of job, and the need for full-time is much more important. Same with overnight stockers. These are positions where full-time is much more important.
Plus, they couldn't do that with us. It would just completely cripple them. We are the "lifeblood" of that store. Without experienced people bringing the stock into the store, you would have considerable problems. Not to say that we aren't at all expendible, but we are the last group that you can do that with.
And with night-stockers, there wouldn't be many employees willing to work nights on a part-time basis. It would just be too difficult to keep that schedule, and then they would have regular turnover in staff.
But the average floor associate? Absolutely. Other than the core staff of managers and department managers, you could mostly have a revolving door of staff without losing too much at all.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

At least you guys can find a job.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

ruotwocone

Post by ruotwocone »

mountainmage wrote:At least you guys can find a job.
dude! getting a job is easy. It's getting a good job that's harder.

HARDKORE
The Heavy

Post by HARDKORE »

There is always work if your looking. I can take you right now to a dude who will pay you to clean the cow crap out of his aard for 500 bucks a week.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Hey, I've shovelled shit for a job before. Although I was making a little more than that (kind of, I wasn't putting in that many hours, but assuming a 40hr work week, the equivalent wage). My uncle had a duck farm for a while, and when I was in school I would occasionally make a day over there scraping the barn free of the ammonia-smelling duck crap. Managed $15/hr (cash) though, with free lunches/coffees/snacks. (At the time that would've been something like $13/hr American, though now we are pretty close to par). And that wasn't even the worst job I've had.

Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

Post by Sahan »

I haven't got a job really, but I did start giving maths tuition to some kid about a week ago. It's not really earning me alot of cash, since I only tutor once a week, but the plus side is it doesn't eat too much into my time and I can take t easy.

I'm not too concerned about earning money until year, once high school is over.
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?

Lottel

Post by Lottel »

So.... Did anyone else have problems getting to the comic yesterday and today? I just now became able to access anything smbc
How DARE you bring joy and laughter to the smiling faces of children everywhere. Purveyors of hope and all that is pure in the world, DIE DIE DIE!!

ruotwocone

Post by ruotwocone »

yeah, the site was down for most of yesterday and this morning. I blame Martay. Possibly he should build some kind of robot and then have it turn on him as some kind of punishment. Or possibly better, have Zach dress up in a cardboard robot costume and beat Martay with a stick and then add the footage to the now missing 'videos' section of SMBC.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

ruotwocone wrote:Or possibly better, have Zach dress up in a cardboard robot costume and beat Martay with a stick and then add the footage to the now missing 'videos' section of SMBC.
Agreed. Only instead of a stick, a corded mouse.