ZACH HOTLINE

Material specifically relating to SMBC and related projects.
Eikinkloster

Re: ZACH HOTLINE

Post by Eikinkloster »

Gangler wrote:Haven't seen a lot of bigotry, but his diagnosis isn't really a commonly known fact. He doesn't go around talking about it and his family members are pretty much all of the opinion that medical information is private, so we don't go around talking about it either.
But people notice when you're depressed. And then you learn to disguise it as something else. I usually use insomnia to explain my Parkinson-like blank face during depression, when all I wanted to say is "I'm depressed" the same way someone would say "I have a migraine".
Gangler wrote: You certainly make some good points about what qualifies someone as bigoted. You're right, there's not necessarily any hatred in them. They don't feel that homosexuals should be allowed to pursue homosexual relationships though... I don't know if that qualifies for your definition of Intolerance or not, but at the very least it doesn't seem to speak too well of them. Definitely obstinate though. These are religious people we're talking about. When was the last time you ever saw one of them listen to reason regarding something that contradicted their interpretation of the Bible?
I'd agree with you. Even if they feel such relations aren't healthy, like I have had many Evangelical people point out that my darker, depression themed tastes aren't healthy and attract the Devil, they shouldn't try to rule on our right to engage in such relations and tastes.

NOM isn't, however, trying to rule on their right to pursue homosexual relationships per se, apparently. Here, from astrogirl's link:

http://www.nationformarriage.org/site/c ... Points.htm
Gays and Lesbians have a right to live as they choose; they don't have a right to redefine marriage for the rest of us.
6. What about benefits? Don’t gay couples and their kids need the benefits and protections of marriage?”

A: “If medical proxies aren’t working, let’s fix that problem. If people need health care, let’s get them health care. Don’t mess with marriage.”

A: “The issue isn’t benefits, it is marriage. Local folks can decide benefits. This is about the meaning of marriage, our most basic social institution for protecting children. “
I think civil unions could perfectly be unrelated to sex. The benefits could be extended for any two people sharing a roof, for instance, since they will be depending on each other very much in the way a family does. They could have a modern equivalent of the old blood oaths under which two very close friends are to be considered brothers by the tribe. I have had friends, from both sexes, I would have liked to have made part of my immediate family for the purposes of the Law. Why can't I adopt brothers and sisters?

Amerika
Like Cirtur, only funny

Post by Amerika »

The best proposed system I have heard for marriage is a base contract, which would be the same as a civil partnership, which you can add to as much as you want with respect to Christianity, Islam, threesomes etc.

And I like the idea of adopting family members, however it's not just you getting the new family member, your parents get a new child, your existing siblings get a new one, so maybe you'd all have to agree? I don't know, but I can see the argument for it as being similar to getting married versus not getting married e.g. legal representation of the strength of the relationship, expressing your love for one another, perhaps legal stuff like medical visits or wills.

Eikinkloster

Post by Eikinkloster »

Amerika wrote: And I like the idea of adopting family members, however it's not just you getting the new family member, your parents get a new child, your existing siblings get a new one, so maybe you'd all have to agree?
Good point. I could point out, on the other hand, that parents don't need to consult us to give us new siblings, nor do we need to consult our parents to give them sons and daughters in law, unless you're Baha'i.

Gangler
watashi wa kawaii desu ne ^o^;

Post by Gangler »

Honestly, I've never really seen why it's even an issue. Way I see it, marriage is just a contract. A legal agreement designed to make things easier for two individuals who plan on spending the rest of their lives together. It has the significance given to it by the decision to share one's life, and if one is religious there may or may not be additional meaning assigned by one's dogma. This being said, from a governmental and legal perspective, I'm not aware of any aspect of the contract that would conflict with any particular types of pairings, barring situations where one can't legally make such agreements for oneself. I'm also not under the impression that anything the government is doing would mandate a priest to perform marriages his God does not approve of. So in that sense Christian marriage would continue to be between a man and a woman.

This being said, I'm not really a romantic...
Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon
about to eat your face.

ErgoRatio

Post by ErgoRatio »

Amerika wrote:The best proposed system I have heard for marriage is a base contract, which would be the same as a civil partnership, which you can add to as much as you want with respect to Christianity, Islam, threesomes etc.
There's a Programming joke in there somewhere.

Amerika
Like Cirtur, only funny

Post by Amerika »

I'm thinking it's that programmers are disgusting

Asherian
Token Erisian

Post by Asherian »

Amerika wrote:I'm thinking it's that programmers are disgusting
How is a fact a joke?
As pure as the driven snow. Bitches

Amerika
Like Cirtur, only funny

Post by Amerika »

The best comedy comes from truth, ash.

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

"It's funny because it's true."
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

roryjhynes

Post by roryjhynes »

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Last edited by roryjhynes on Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kovvy
Bride Of Galactus

Post by Kovvy »

Happy birthday Zach! I like the present you got for us.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Was it a header for the forum?

*checks*

Hmm.... well it might be money which is second best.

*might actually check properly in a moment to see what Kovvy's on about*

Also, Happy Birthday Jack Zach.
King Prawn

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

This is what he got us:

ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

The stubble is the selling point.
King Prawn

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

I just feel so blessed
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."