I pinpointed the exact time Zach stopped being funny

Material specifically relating to SMBC and related projects.

Re: I pinpointed the exact time Zach stopped being funny

Postby Lethal Interjection » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:00 am

Powermad80 wrote:
anus mcgee wrote:actually zach has objectively changed his style of humor, to the point where some of them are incoherent without a decent background in science or philosophy. but you can keep getting all defensive if you want.

Your argument can be summed up as, "You're wrong because you disagree with me."

Was 'objectively' the clue?
Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Postby realperson351 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:36 am

All of his comics have been hit or miss for me, but I think the most infuriating thing has been seeing people complain about the state of the comics nowadays. No offense to Zach, but most of his comics were never really "genius" or even intriguing. I've always stuck around because of those special few that are like a bar of gold in a stack of hay. For those saying that the comics aren't funny because they have to read more, stop reading them. You should literally stop in the middle of a sentence and give up rather than expect a humorous punchline.
realperson351

Postby DonRetrasado » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:44 am

realperson351 wrote:All of his comics have been hit or miss for me, but I think the most infuriating thing has been seeing people complain about the state of the comics nowadays. No offense to Zach, but most of his comics were never really "genius" or even intriguing. I've always stuck around because of those special few that are like a bar of gold in a stack of hay. For those saying that the comics aren't funny because they have to read more, stop reading them. You should literally stop in the middle of a sentence and give up rather than expect a humorous punchline.

I generally won't read any SMBC that goes beyond two panels. For what it's worth, he still does write some good single-panel jokes.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.

Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.
DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Postby Kaharz » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:01 pm

DonRetrasado wrote:I generally won't read any SMBC that goes beyond two panels. For what it's worth, he still does write some good single-panel jokes.

I read them all, but I rarely find the long preachy comics to be funny or interesting. I do usually prefer the one or two panel jokes. The formula where in the first panel something dramatic is happening and then the second panel prefaced with "earlier.." he gives an unexpected explanation for the first panel were often my favorites. I don't see those too much anymore. Overall though, I'm not disappointed. He has been doing a comic almost every damn day of the week for years and years. Most web comics don't maintain very well and they are published far less often.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.
Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Postby powermad80 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:24 pm

DonRetrasado wrote:I generally won't read any SMBC that goes beyond two panels. For what it's worth, he still does write some good single-panel jokes.

But you miss out on gems like this in the big comics!
Generally, I enjoy the long ones a lot.
powermad80

Postby CB_Dweeb » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:56 am

Guys.
He. Puts. One. Out. Every. Day.

You try having a gem of a thought every single fucking day, and then illustrating it. He could do one comic a week and it would probably be amazing. He could be the oatmeal. But he's not. He's Zach, he's SMBC, and if he doesn't have anything funny to say I can at least count on him to make a good point or make me roll my eyes because none of my neighbors or coworkers seem capable of producing a single fucking interesting thought, so it's nice to have the guarantee of at least one a day to get me through the work week.

Ya dig?
CB_Dweeb

Postby Kimra » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:51 am

I'm super glad you showed up over two years later to add your two cents.
King Prawn
Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Postby Felstaff » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:20 am

The level of enrichment in my life just got cranked up a notch. There should be a 'heroism of strangers' hashtag to accompany this.
255 characters of free advertising space? I'm selling these line feather jackets...
Felstaff
XKCD spy

Postby go fuck yourselves » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:13 pm

Kimra wrote:Social change..... that's.... suddenly I understand.

Haters hate social change.

Haters still suck two years later.

Zach never stopped being funny, but you did.
go fuck yourselves

Postby Kimra » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:49 am

go fuck yourselves wrote:Haters hate social change.

This is comedy gold.
You're spectacular.
King Prawn
Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Postby Lethal Interjection » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:03 am

Kimra wrote:
go fuck yourselves wrote:Haters hate social change.

This is comedy gold.
You're spectacular.

Agreed.
Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Previous

Return to SMBC