Understanding the Distinction between Domain and URL

Material specifically relating to SMBC and related projects.
FREEDDAWG

Understanding the Distinction between Domain and URL

Post by FREEDDAWG »

Hey everyone,

I've been delving into the world of website development recently, and I came across a question that has been puzzling me: What exactly is the difference between a domain and a URL? I've seen these terms used interchangeably, but I have a feeling they might have distinct meanings. Can anyone shed some light on this?

From my research so far, I understand that a domain is the unique name or address that identifies a website on the internet. It is essentially the human-readable version of an IP address. For example, "google.com" is a domain name. It's easy to remember and type, making it user-friendly.

On the other hand, a URL (Uniform Resource Locator) is the complete address used to locate a specific resource on the internet. It consists of several components, including the protocol (e.g., http:// or https://), the domain name, and additional path and query parameters. The URL encompasses everything necessary to pinpoint a particular webpage, file, or resource within a website.

To simplify, the domain is like the street address of a building, while the URL is akin to the specific apartment number within that building. The domain provides a general location, while the URL narrows down the exact resource you're looking for.

If my understanding is correct, then it would mean that the domain is a part of the URL but not the other way around. Is that right?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this topic. Have you encountered any real-life scenarios where understanding the difference between domain and URL became important? Any additional insights or practical examples would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help!

gherbo

Re: Understanding the Distinction between Domain and URL

Post by gherbo »

Howdy! The domain is the name that identifies a website on the internet and represents the organization or entity behind it, while a URL (Uniform Resource Locator) is the specific address or location of a resource on the web. In simpler terms, the domain is like the organization's name, while the URL is like the full address to a particular page or resource within that organization's website.
However, it is likely that this information will not be enough for you. I, therefore, recommend that you take a look at this article about the domain of a url. Here you will learn more about how domains differ from URLs.

Thight

Re: Understanding the Distinction between Domain and URL

Post by Thight »

In basket random, the objective is clear: be the first team to score 5 points and claim victory. It's a fast-paced challenge that will keep you on your toes.