Lexicon!

Symposium Mandated Bibliognostic 'Cyclopedia

Interested in playing Lexicon? (read introductory post before voting, plzkthx)

Poll ended at Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:53 am

Sure!
33%
Do you really expect me to read that wall of text?
27%
Did you seriously write 'plzkthx'?
27%
More like the blind puppy running into a wall
13%

Total votes: 15

Laneth
Plot of Hemingway and Gags

Re: Lexicon!

Post by Laneth »

Not a net-newb, but still too green around SMBC to get involved in anything more than the comments box, so I'm happy just watching this one play out.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a cantankerous and opinionated fool, but not enough to try to play and miss a rule here'n'there. Have fun - I know I will :)
Laneth Sffarlenn
Almost like a memory, this phantasm has reappeared...

AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Post by AHMETxRock »

In my mind, I'm picturing Zach dressed as the witch villain in Power Rangers, zapping the computer with his "staff" yelling, "Grow my monster, GROW"!
Just like an std, will never fully go away.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

I'm sure some of the new-comers know a little about the comic, but nothing about the forum. But, ya never know. I wonder if we'll break our record for most members online soon? (although a large portion of that 221 was spam bots)
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

Laneth

Post by Laneth »

Ok, so one wise in your ways has recommended that I offer myself as a sacri...contributing author, so I am hereby placing my name down as "in process of reading rules, guidelines, caveats, treaties and all-round-do-as-you're-told-ness-stuff"
Laneth Sffarlenn

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

Laneth wrote:
Edminster wrote:I would definitely say to read through the rules first, then the introduction, followed by every single entry thread written so far, ending with the rest of the Forum. That last bit is not strictly necessary, but it is a good* idea.

*for values of 'good' that include 'utter waste of time'**
**unless you find me the Spambot Registration Act thread, in which case it was a brilliant idea

I shall indeed read the Introduction properly, and possibly make myself a printed handbook for easy reference.
I'll also read the rules first, then follow with some of the "already written" posts.

I question the fact that SMB City has been written out of turn though, since we're on "A"

Does an author request a certain topic to write? Or is that a n00b question that's answered in the rules...sorry, I'm at work and don't have time to read more now...
SMB City was written out of turn by accident. Luckily it was a pretty awesome accident, so I'm not sweating the breach of protocol.

Authors are allowed to write on whatever subject strikes their fancy, provided that it follows the rules set down in the OP. If an Author is having a difficult time coming up with a topic to write about, I have a stockpile of entry names that the Symposium is interested in learning more about.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

New Turn! All new topics must start with the letter 'B' until this time next week, earlier if all confirmed authors get their posts in.

Current rankings:
1 Point
Sahan
AHMETxRock
Lethal Interjection
Cirtur
mountainmage
Oldrac the Chitinous

Gold Star
Sahan
Oldrac the Chitinous
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Could you guys comment on my article please? Mine is the only one without any feedback. :cry:
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

I'll do you one better! I'm gonna cite you in my next article.

EDIT: ...and there it is. It's kind of long! It also has four citations - two to new articles, and two to existing articles (one of which is a phantom.) If that's too many, I can try to pare it down some.
Also, in order to prevent Phantom Bloat, I might suggest classifying "Chickenson Restaurants" as a C entry.
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Nevermind.

Laneth

Post by Laneth »

Quick question:
The word limit of 100-200 words...how strict is this?
Just cos I've now got around...946 including title & commentary...
Laneth Sffarlenn

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

Word limit is a minimum, not a maximum. Average wordcount for the entries is starting to be somewhere around 500-600 words, but as long as you are on topic it should be okay. Make sure that your entry jibes with everything else that has been written so far, though.

gödel stop spreading fud

AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Post by AHMETxRock »

Yeah, you'll want to shorten it just a bit. Try to make it a single thing. You most likely mentioned other things on other things that deserve their own topics.

Laneth

Post by Laneth »

See what I mean about waffling?
I'll work on it some more later...I have to go on safari this afternoon...
Laneth Sffarlenn

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

Ahmet, he sent the thing to me for a second set of eyes to look over, and I have to say that the writing is on par with Oldrac and Sahan's entries. While it is longer than what we are accustomed to, anything that I would pare off would immediately be added to the Blogosphere Offensive entry.

gödel stop spreading fud

AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Post by AHMETxRock »

I'm not discouraging anyone from participating.

In theatre, they say "Don't have a prop unless you do something with it". If there is a gun, that gun better be fired at some point. It's that concept. Some of the creative ideas might have strayed from what would have wanted to be on a single article. He asked if it should be shorter. I only suggested it if it would be far off track from the topic. For example, in my article, I didn't go into length about the golden revolution or other details to allow others to go on tangents.

Details are awesome. Pack your writing with details. The way I see it, you should go into depth on a single topic that you are writing about. At the same time, leave a presidence for the phantom entries. The entire time, flesh out a background and setting for your articles. Just remember that the article's topic needs to be awesome. It should only be supplemented by the other details included, not outshined.