The Olympics!

Sorry TigerCrew, but she bribed me better than you did.

Moderators: GreenCrayon, Lethal Interjection, Kimra, Oldrac the Chitinous, Amerika, Cirtur, Kisai, Astrogirl, Kovvy, carbonstealer, Apocalyptus, PyroPrav, Felstaff, smiley_cow, Sahan, Euclidthegreek, Kaharz, Asherian, FengharTheNord

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Re: The Olympics!

Post by Edminster »

Honestly though, what is war good for?
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Edwin Starr

Post by Edwin Starr »

Absolutely nothing.

Euclidthegreek
Fisty McGee

Post by Euclidthegreek »

smiley_cow wrote:Woo! Canadia won a silver in Women's Moguls! I have no idea what that is!
Moguls is downhill skiing on really bumpy terrain. Alternately, they're the rulers of the Mughal empire, an Islamic empire of northern India founded by Babur, which existed from the 16th century until British takeover.
Edminster wrote:I'm starting to think Euclid lives in the past.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

AHMETxRock wrote:I htink the olympics are dumb. It was done just to ease tensions after the whole "oh my god world wars man" panic.
Exactly what Sahan said: Olympics were restarted in the late 1800s.

Personally, I don't like the political side of the Olympics but I do really like the sports side. Most of my favourite sports to watch (curling, figure skating, speed skating, etc...) are winter Olympic sports. On top of that, I tend to prefer single or pairs sports* over team sports, and sports that involve some type of acrobatics such as gymnastics, figure skating, freestyle skiing, etc... which means I really enjoy watching a lot of the Olympics. During the Beijing Olympics I was getting up at five in the morning to watch the games. I know it's odd, but I honestly do really like watching them.

Feel free to dislike the Olympics, certainly politically there's a lot to attack there and I know there's a number of sports out there I don't really care to watch either, but be careful about just outright calling them dumb, please.
Euclidthegreek wrote:
smiley_cow wrote:Woo! Canadia won a silver in Women's Moguls! I have no idea what that is!
Moguls is downhill skiing on really bumpy terrain. Alternately, they're the rulers of the Mughal empire, an Islamic empire of northern India founded by Babur, which existed from the 16th century until British takeover.
Ah, yes since we've won a couple medals in it now, I have become aware from watching many many video clips, what they are. Actually a really cool sport. And I did not know about the Northern India definition, but now I do and can use it to pretend to be smart (or alternatively, be a smartass) in front of friends. :P

And finally, check it out, Canadia finally won a gold medal (In Moguls no less). Now maybe we can finally stop obsessing about it now please and just enjoy the games? Fun story: I was watching the women's 300m speed skating where we got a bronze, and directly afterwards the commentator comes on and says, "And to all you people who are worried about getting a gold, don't worry. Our researchers, who have been studying these women for years did not expect us to score gold, silver, or bronze in this event." Is it me, or are we maybe taking this a bit too seriously?

*I have no idea if this is the right term. Just letting you know for when you correct me.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

I had a teacher in high school who explained to us that our brains are basically programmed to beat the shit out of each other, so sports is the best way to do that and that's why we take it (and school rivalries, nationalism, etc.) so seriously. Granted I'm barely interested in sports at all, but I do know that back in high school I was really into being the toughest jackass around* so I can understand that mentality.

*The same teacher also had the line, "though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, 'cause I'm the biggest jackass around." He was a bit tougher than I was.

starling_bird

Post by starling_bird »

smiley_cow wrote:"And to all you people who are worried about getting a gold, don't worry. Our researchers, who have been studying these women for years did not expect us to score gold, silver, or bronze in this event." Is it me, or are we maybe taking this a bit too seriously?
Wait til they start making lame excuses for why someone didn't get a medal.
"He's had a really hard time in the lead-up to these games. He stubbed his toe in training 3 months ago..."

At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this.
That's a neat feature.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

LordRetard wrote:I had a teacher in high school who explained to us that our brains are basically programmed to beat the shit out of each other, so sports is the best way to do that and that's why we take it (and school rivalries, nationalism, etc.) so seriously. Granted I'm barely interested in sports at all, but I do know that back in high school I was really into being the toughest jackass around* so I can understand that mentality.

*The same teacher also had the line, "though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, 'cause I'm the biggest jackass around." He was a bit tougher than I was.
That makes some sense. I think part of it too is I'm just not used to seeing Canadia acting competitively, which I guess is important if you want to win medals.*

starling_bird wrote:
smiley_cow wrote:"And to all you people who are worried about getting a gold, don't worry. Our researchers, who have been studying these women for years did not expect us to score gold, silver, or bronze in this event." Is it me, or are we maybe taking this a bit too seriously?
Wait til they start making lame excuses for why someone didn't get a medal.
"He's had a really hard time in the lead-up to these games. He stubbed his toe in training 3 months ago..."
Well Cindy Klassen apparently lost in the women's 300m speed skating because her sister drove off a bridge last winter...

Actually I remember when that happened, and she did take a break from training. Still I think it's a bit of a stretch.
At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this.
That's a neat feature.
Indeed, I like it. :)

*Damn us and our unwillingness to dope fund our athletes
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Euclidthegreek
Fisty McGee

Post by Euclidthegreek »

I've been pretty annoyed by NBC's coverage. Even though we're in the same time zone as the games, they don't show it in real time an insead split up all the events (so that you see only one athlete before commercials, and then switching to something else). They drag it on so that you have to sit there all night just to watch one event, and stay up till midnight.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

They literally have no idea as to the proper timing of commercial breaks for Curling. I swear, they cut to commercial at the start of an end, and returned to the game a few ends later. I tried streaming from CTV but that didn't work :(

NBC! Image
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Euclidthegreek
Fisty McGee

Post by Euclidthegreek »

Edminster wrote:NBC! Image
Second'd.

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Hahah I haven't even been watching them and whatever HAH

Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

Post by Sahan »

Yeah I haven't been watching much either, ocassionally I might stop and have a look for a few minutes, but the coverage of any Olympics by Channel 9 is always horrible, and no-one really cares about Winter Olympics in Australia, seeing as we don't even have snow, so all our athletes are just ex-pats from other countries. I'll sometimes turn on the TV and watch for five or so minutes, and then walk off since I don't really understand anything I'm seeing.
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?

starling_bird

Post by starling_bird »

Channel 9 (and 7 when they did it) annoy me with their hatred for sport. I didn't turn it on to see Eddy, show me some sport! It also annoys me that they think I'll be interested in a event because there's an Aussie there who gets knocked out in the heats. I don't really care about the Aussies, they all suck, lest just watch the sport.
Medal ceremonies aren't sport either.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Euclidthegreek wrote:I've been pretty annoyed by NBC's coverage. Even though we're in the same time zone as the games, they don't show it in real time an insead split up all the events (so that you see only one athlete before commercials, and then switching to something else). They drag it on so that you have to sit there all night just to watch one event, and stay up till midnight.
I'd also double check any facts NBC gives you. So far they've reported that Micheal J Fox's mother is a possibility for the final torch bearer because Micheal J Fox once ran across the country for cancer* and claimed Prime Minister Stephen Harper is writing a book about hockey.**

Today I was watching the men's figure skating, and it was amazing. I'm ashamed to say my favourite contestant was not Patrick Chan, Canadia's favourite to win, but American Johnny Weir. Half of why I watch figure skating is for the outfits and he was wearing a corset! American Evan Lysacek, who came in second, had a pretty good outfit on too. It had feathers!***

*For the non-Canadians, they got him mixed up with Terry Fox, who is a national hero and died very young.

**I'm actually not sure where this one came from..

***Sorry, I tried to find pictures, but I failed miserably. Maybe there'll be some up tomorrow.

Edit:
Edminster wrote:They literally have no idea as to the proper timing of commercial breaks for Curling. I swear, they cut to commercial at the start of an end, and returned to the game a few ends later. I tried streaming from CTV but that didn't work :(

NBC! Image
Are they doing that 'for this country only' thing? Because that is really annoying. Have you tried live streaming through TSN?

Edit2:
Sahan wrote:... and no-one really cares about Winter Olympics in Australia, seeing as we don't even have snow, so all our athletes are just ex-pats from other countries. I'll sometimes turn on the TV and watch for five or so minutes, and then walk off since I don't really understand anything I'm seeing.
Though you never do know. I remember that one year in speed skating when the Chinese athlete tripped and all the front runners were knocked out and the Australian skated around them and won gold. That could happen again!
Last edited by smiley_cow on Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

smiley_cow wrote:So far they've reported that Micheal J Fox's mother is a possibility for the final torch bearer because Micheal J Fox once ran across the country for cancer*
This is the best and also the worst thing.