Which Of These Ten Magical Items Would You Choose? And Why?

Sorry TigerCrew, but she bribed me better than you did.

Moderators: GreenCrayon, Lethal Interjection, Kimra, Oldrac the Chitinous, Amerika, Cirtur, Kisai, Astrogirl, Kovvy, carbonstealer, Apocalyptus, PyroPrav, Felstaff, smiley_cow, Sahan, Euclidthegreek, Kaharz, Asherian, FengharTheNord

GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin

Re: Which Of These Ten Magical Items Would You Choose? And W

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

Chocolate bar, and here's why:

Eat a piece. Build up a vast fortune by becoming famous and abusing invulnerability. Study genetics.
Find and hire 11 genius geneticists. Give each of them a chocolate piece, contractually bind them to work with you until death.
Develope cure for aging. Sell to the rich for exorbitant prices. Become the richest immortal on the planet.
Use power to push replacement of certain meats (cattle feed:produce ratio ~10:1, chicken ~5:1 I think, etc.) with others (prawns and insects 1.1:1) and attempt to reduce birth rates (through ethical means), thus alleviating world hunger. Solve overpopulation by funding efforts to terraform and populate sections of other planets or the moon. Remove global warming from our current list of worries since it really isn't all that important.
During all this, make an effort to absorb all knowledge possible, including the development of (safe) cerebral augmentations.
Have crazy amounts of sex because you're rich.
Be the most awesome person on the planet.
Have anything you want fixed with a wave of your hand.
Be filthy rich.
Have all the time in the world.
Master fuel and electrical efficiency.
Then, all of that done, mass produce cure for aging on a global scale, release for free.
Buy a dog.

GG
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

I think I'm too lazy to work that plan.

GUTCHUCKER

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

It's pretty much the only plan I'd ever be motivated to put into action. Anything else? Meh, busy reading.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

GUTCHUCKER wrote:It's pretty much the only plan I'd ever be motivated to put into action. Anything else? Meh, busy reading.
You can't feed people on seafood, unless your suggesting farming the seafood (which might be a viable option), we are simply running out of the stuff from overfishing.
King Prawn

GUTCHUCKER

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

Well we wouldn't have to fully replace everything. Also, insectz would be the main contributor :X they are nutritious and tasty delicious!
...I think. Well mealworms are anyway. And the caterpillars in my broccoli.

GUTCHUCKER

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

Wait a minute, people do farm the seafood! I did a VET course on Aquaculture (Seafood Industries) a few years ago. Shrimpy things are the most efficient. Crabbies suck but cultured barramindi taste FUCKING DELICIOUS! Also china are dominating the industry and producing something like 90% of the world's aquaculture fish since they started much earlier than everyone else. :shock:

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Salmon farms are wiping out the real salmon here in Canadia. I think it's one of the few times where it's more conservationally conscious to eat only the wild version of the animal.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

GUTCHUCKER

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

Damn them and their fake salmon!

Yeah, I know, it's a serious issue. I just felt like saying that.

Kovvy
Bride Of Galactus

Post by Kovvy »

Yeah, wild salmon FTW!
Plus, when you farm fish, aren't they more toxic?

Anyway people like my sister are allergic to shrimp. I don't think I've heard of anyone being allergic to beef, though. Hm..

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Kovvy wrote: Plus, when you farm fish, aren't they more toxic?
I don't know. I haven't heard it mentioned before, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I have heard that farmed salmon tend to live in more polluted waters and are more likely to be ill and that the colorant they give them to make them the same colour as wild salmon has been linked to health problems.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

GUTCHUCKER

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

That sounds absolutely terrible :(
Farmed fish are supposed to be taken care of - any stress means less produce, and it tastes worse too.
When you say toxic, I think of stuff like mercury, which is more often found in wild fish. Aquaculture involves a lot of maintaining water quality, and the fishs' water is tested and treated before use.
...Also, why are the salmon a different colour to the wild ones? Aren't they the same fish?

Kovvy
Bride Of Galactus

Post by Kovvy »

Hm, I think part of the problem (if I remember correctly) is the crowded conditions of fish farms. Any contaminants would get really concentrated really fast. Also, the fish farmers might use chemical pesticides and things. But I'm hardly an expert; I just remember hearing something about that along the way.

They might be a different color because they have a different diet than the wild fish?

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

I'm pharming some fish right now.
By emptying my lithium into my aquarium.

Spoiler: I am not on lithium. *GASP* It was an Shamalyan twist all along!

GUTCHUCKER

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

Well, you get high and low concentration ponds or tanks. They all have their own benefits - low concentration is easier to manage, less likely to go wrong, needs fewer employees to manage and you lose less if the shit hits the fan. High concentration means it's more expensive and risky but you get more out of it. Different types of fish can be happy with different concentrations at different ages: you find out how many litres of water it takes to support an individual fish and go from there. You test the water daily or weekly (it depends on stuff) and
You avoid contaminants by choosing the setting for your pond and managing pests. If there's fertiliser or pesticide or LITHIUM runoff into your fish pond, you are a dumbass and deserve to lose all of your fish and money.

O hai wikipedia, "Astaxanthin is a potent antioxidant that stimulates the development of healthy fish nervous systems and enhances the fish's fertility and growth rate. Research has revealed canthaxanthin may have negative effects on the human eye, accumulating in the retina at high levels of consumption."

But then another article: "Currently, the primary use for humans is as a food supplement. Research shows that due to astaxanthin's potent antioxidant activity, it may be beneficial in cardiovascular, immune, inflammatory and neurodegenerative diseases.[25] Some research has suggested potential as an anti-cancer agent.[26] Research supports the assumption that it protects body tissues from oxidative damage."

I haven't checked the sources for those two, but:

http://www.fda.gov/ForIndustry/ColorAdd ... 115641.htm:
"1.The color additives Astaxanthin, Astaxanthin dimethyldisuccinate, Ultramarine blue, Canthaxanthin, Haematococcus algae meal, Synthetic iron oxide, Dried algae meal, Tagetes (Aztec marigold) meal and extract, Corn endosperm oil, Paracoccus pigment, and Phaffia yeast are approved for specific uses in animal food"

Soooo probably not a problem then

GUTCHUCKER

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

Furthermore, YOU ARE NOT PREPARED