Spambots

Sorry TigerCrew, but she bribed me better than you did.

Moderators: GreenCrayon, Lethal Interjection, Kimra, Oldrac the Chitinous, Amerika, Cirtur, Kisai, Astrogirl, Kovvy, carbonstealer, Apocalyptus, PyroPrav, Felstaff, smiley_cow, Sahan, Euclidthegreek, Kaharz, Asherian, FengharTheNord

GreenCrayon
Traditional Iconoclast

Re: Spambots

Post by GreenCrayon »

Reason #46 why you shouldn't always believe Felstaff: He's lying.
Pirate.

Felstaff
XKCD spy

Post by Felstaff »

:D

I plan to go into teaching, solely to bring up an entirely new generation on a menu of lies, deceits, and misconceptions.
255 characters of free advertising space? I'm selling these line feather jackets...

GreenCrayon
Traditional Iconoclast

Post by GreenCrayon »

Just for the record, the "lieutenant" thing is entirely true; we do indeed call them "left-tenants", but only since the end of World War II.

Following the devastation of the notorious bombings of that era, returning soldiers were promised "Homes for Heroes", which were meant to be exactly as the name suggested but actually ended up being pre-fabs, quickly-built undesirable properties with many flaws. A sad chapter in British history.

Already, though, Britain had a tendency for overcrowding in urban areas, and a history of lodgers -- single people who would rent out a room in a larger house, generally with access to the bathroom and kitchen of that same house. With the pre-fabs being such abysmal failures, this was taken to a new level, where the stately homes that survived the bombings would rent out every free room, even if not entirely convenient. Many of these larger houses had several utility closets, ante-rooms and, most commonly, bathrooms.

As a quick aside, for those who don't know, British people refer to a toilet as a loo in popular slang.

As such, Britons renting out a bathroom to sleep in would come to be called "loo tenants".

The government at the time, already struggling with the failing popularity of the military reputation following WWII, tried to outlaw this slang, as it generated a lack of respect (thought of as very important in those days). When that failed, they officially altered the pronunciation of the title of "lieutenant" to "left-tenant". This was significantly easier to implement, and calling an officer a "loo-tenant" has since been rendered illegal in itself, punishable by being forced to read every single one of Gutchucker's ++ posts.
Pirate.

Felstaff
XKCD spy

Post by Felstaff »

Interesting! but does it blend? is it true?

My grandad was a leff-tenant in 1942-45 for the Royal Marine Commandos (started out as lance-corporal, I believe). He had an inherent dislike for the "loo" pronunciation, calling it "a bloomin' yank word".
255 characters of free advertising space? I'm selling these line feather jackets...

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

I call shenanigans, although your explanation is a much better story. The OED claims that while the origin is unclear, the pronunciation "lef" began at some point before the 19th century with the 'u' and the end of the french word being read and pronounced as a 'v' and later becoming a 'f.'

The OED also says the proper pronunciation is "lefˈtenənt", while the proper pronunciation of lieu by itself is "lu" or "lju"
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

GreenCrayon
Traditional Iconoclast

Post by GreenCrayon »

Kaharz wrote:The OED claims
Pffft, the OED. You know it contains more mistakes than Wikipedia, right?

And I just wrote a Wikipedia article to back up my tall tale. Quod erat demonstrandum.
Pirate.

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

OED vs. QED
Fight of the century!

This Sunday at the Slaughterdrome
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

GreenCrayon wrote:Pffft, the OED. You know it contains more mistakes than Wikipedia, right?
Not surprising, it is the Oxford English Dictionary after all. I have a few friends from England* and I'm not sure what language it is exactly they speak, but It certainly isn't English.

*Admittedly, they are almost all Londoners, which is probably like listening to some from NYC speak American English
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

GreenCrayon wrote:Reason #46 why you shouldn't always believe Felstaff: He's lying.
Curse my gullibility!
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Felstaff
XKCD spy

Post by Felstaff »

It's spelled "gullability"

Apocalyptus

Post by Apocalyptus »

Oh you rascal, Felstaff!
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

FengharTheNord
Avord the Nord

Post by FengharTheNord »

Du bist ein schlitsor!!!
DonRetrasado wrote:
Amerika wrote:
DonRetrasado wrote:Well you'd need a sock as big as an airplane to hide my penis. An airplane the size of the universe.
Wait I live in a universe.
bow chicka bow wow

Frostbite
I dunno.

Post by Frostbite »

FengharTheNord wrote:Du bist ein schlitsor!!!
Hey. Hey. Hey. I don't speak your booga booga language.
Doin' podcasts before they were cool.

Apocalyptus

Post by Apocalyptus »

Just that other booga booga language, Americanese.

GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

Apocalyptus wrote:booga booga
Will you guys shut up about my mum already?
Unga bunga bung...
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.