Pet Peeves: those things we really hate

Sorry TigerCrew, but she bribed me better than you did.

Moderators: GreenCrayon, Lethal Interjection, Kimra, Oldrac the Chitinous, Amerika, Cirtur, Kisai, Astrogirl, Kovvy, carbonstealer, Apocalyptus, PyroPrav, Felstaff, smiley_cow, Sahan, Euclidthegreek, Kaharz, Asherian, FengharTheNord

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Re: Pet Peeves: those things we really hate

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

I was inspired to get off my computer butt and installed an extension to do just that. It took less that a minute to find it and install.
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

Felstaff
XKCD spy

Post by Felstaff »

If using Chrome on Windows Vista/7/8, go into Control Panel > default programmes > set your default programmes > Google Chrome > Check "MAILTO" > Save.

Chrome will now deal with composing new emails.

If Chrome hasn't set your default mailing client as Gmail (as that's what you use, right?), in Chrome go to hamburger > settings (or paste "chrome://settings/" in the URL) > Show advanced settings > Content settings > Manage handlers > ensure "mailto" has "mail.google.com" set.

If using Firefox (38+), go to hamburger > options > Applications > mailto > [choose your preferred mail client]
255 characters of free advertising space? I'm selling these line feather jackets...

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

That might be a better solution than the extension. Good to know now, for the future, though.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

I think I have decided my biggest pet-peeve with other drivers.

I know a lot of people have others:
Lack of signal: Ultimately I don't drive in enough traffic to have this bother me. And when it does happen I tend to have enough awareness to have seen it coming.
Slow drivers: Admittedly it is a frustration, but if it is a reasonable speed (i.e. fast enough to approximate the limit based on the confidence of the driver) I'm okay with it. I don't drive enough one-lane roads for it to be an issue. And I'd say that even removing that I'm pretty forgiving, as most other times I'm stuck behind a slow vehicle any frustration is solved by a hind-sight related reason (not knowing their next turn)
Weather-related: Admittedly, this ranks high. There is a reason, but it shouldn't result in completely dumb-founded driving. It isn't like typical rain/snow are an unfamiliar event. But I'm also very confident, even in heavy snow, and I know I'm an anomaly in this. I've only had weather-related driving anxiety once or twice in my 15 years.
Brake-tappers: Also a high-ranking pet-peeve. In traffic it is irritating primarily because I drive standard and prefer to coast more, and coasting behind a brake-tapper probably turns it into a pet-peeve for the car following me. In regular situations I just do what I can to simply not be the person directly behind them. So this might rank higher while I'm in traffic, but sitting here behind my computer it doesn't resonate as much.

I can't think of any other examples at this point. So here's my major pet-peeve.
Attempting to merge at a speed inadequate to said merging. Primarily I get irritated when this happens while a car is attempting to merge into the freeway too slowly (I'd say speed limit, but really I mean speed of traffic +/- 10kph). Though it does happen when a car tries to creep towards their exit with inadequate timing/speed. But ultimately it is the entrance that affects me, personally, more often. If you aren't at the approximate speed of traffic at your merge you not only put yourself in hazard at said merge, but those you are merging into as well. And not least of all, you are putting those behind you into the exact same shitty situation. Which isn't even considering the more wide-spread implications that merging in that manor means that you are likely responsible for the stop-and-go traffic that will ultimately result behind you.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Not automatically rinsing measuring cups and putting them in the drying rack/drying them by hand and putting them away. Often, even when one has only been used to measure water, one of my housemates will toss it in the sink in a bowl with actually dirty things.

A lot of mine are kitchen-related.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

Astrogirl wrote:
Edminster wrote:The boyfriend's landlady is out of town on vacation so I've been staying with the boyfriend for the past like four days.
Why can you only visit your boyfriend when his landlady is away?
It's less that I can't visit when she's there and more that i don't want to. I usually stay over with him at least one night every weekend but the landlady and I mix like oil and water. She is obnoxiously right-wing in the sports mentality way and refuses to believe republicans could ever do anything wrong up to and including herself. She's also right-side paralyzed after being shot in the head by her ex a few decades back so I can excuse a shitload of critical thinking loss but honestly I've encountered the exact same personality in people who don't have brain damage so I'm not convinced it's related.

The living situation is kind of like Lethal's used to be, but with the ground floor as a 'common area' with a decent kitchen and living room setup but is increasingly becoming 'all of it is landlady's office' despite her actually having another room in the house set up specifically to be her office. All clutter is blamed on her brother-in-law (who hasn't lived there for nearly a year now) and is in fact blatantly mail addressed to her or movies, books, games, and comics she's purchased. The couch is completely covered in mail except for the spot where she sits, and likewise the coffee table in front of it barring the spot her laptop goes.

The kitchen table is covered in cooking magazines, cookbooks, tabletop game paraphernalia, and cookware that's never been opened. When she is home, the stove is covered in dirty pots and the sink full of her dirty dishes. The kitchen does have a dishwasher right next to the sink that was purchased by the landlady because she was tired of 'everybody else' leaving their dishes in the sink. Nobody else leaves their dishes in the sink.

I am sick and tired of dealing with her bullshit but the boyfriend has been friends with/rented from her for years and is only charged USD700 per month utilities/internet included so all I can do is try to ignore it.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

In similar vein, I hate my family treating my (attached to their house) apartment like it's a storage unit. I can't even cook 'cause there's dishes inside the oven and on top of the stove. They use my bathroom without cleaning up after themselves, and often don't even bother knocking when they come in. Plus they "borrow" stuff all the time, which does not involve telling me about it or giving it back. I know I'm living rent-free but c'mon, guys, you have an entire house to do all of these things.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

DonRetrasado wrote:In similar vein, I hate my family treating my (attached to their house) apartment like it's a storage unit. I can't even cook 'cause there's dishes inside the oven and on top of the stove. They use my bathroom without cleaning up after themselves, and often don't even bother knocking when they come in. Plus they "borrow" stuff all the time, which does not involve telling me about it or giving it back. I know I'm living rent-free but c'mon, guys, you have an entire house to do all of these things.
Um, have you thought about changing your locks? Because that sounds shitty. As does your and your boyfriend's situation, Ed.

I have never felt so lucky just to be living with just Mr Apoc in our small cheap apartment.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

I live with one of my sisters but I'm pretty sure I'm the problem in the household as far as consideration and cleanliness goes. But I do try. I suppose that's a thing.
King Prawn

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

I lived by myself for about 9 months. It was glorious. I've been fairly lucky with roommates though. I've only had one that was messy and his wife was pretty good about cleaning up after him. There ended up being a lot of personal drama in that house, but that was at the end. The only problem I've ever really had is I've usually been renting a room in other people's houses and since I don't have a lot of stuff and they always seem to have tons already spread throughout the house I usually end up having to keep a lot of stuff packed away. I'm constantly going back and forth with my wife to get rid of stuff she has in storage in the basement so my camping stuff and tools aren't constantly getting buried. Her whole family has a tendency to 'collect' stuff though. She is a lot better than most of them.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

Edminster wrote:
Astrogirl wrote:
Edminster wrote:The boyfriend's landlady is out of town on vacation so I've been staying with the boyfriend for the past like four days.
Why can you only visit your boyfriend when his landlady is away?
It's less that I can't visit when she's there and more that i don't want to. I usually stay over with him at least one night every weekend but the landlady and I mix like oil and water. She is obnoxiously right-wing in the sports mentality way and refuses to believe republicans could ever do anything wrong up to and including herself. She's also right-side paralyzed after being shot in the head by her ex a few decades back so I can excuse a shitload of critical thinking loss but honestly I've encountered the exact same personality in people who don't have brain damage so I'm not convinced it's related.

The living situation is kind of like Lethal's used to be, but with the ground floor as a 'common area' with a decent kitchen and living room setup but is increasingly becoming 'all of it is landlady's office' despite her actually having another room in the house set up specifically to be her office. All clutter is blamed on her brother-in-law (who hasn't lived there for nearly a year now) and is in fact blatantly mail addressed to her or movies, books, games, and comics she's purchased. The couch is completely covered in mail except for the spot where she sits, and likewise the coffee table in front of it barring the spot her laptop goes.

The kitchen table is covered in cooking magazines, cookbooks, tabletop game paraphernalia, and cookware that's never been opened. When she is home, the stove is covered in dirty pots and the sink full of her dirty dishes. The kitchen does have a dishwasher right next to the sink that was purchased by the landlady because she was tired of 'everybody else' leaving their dishes in the sink. Nobody else leaves their dishes in the sink.

I am sick and tired of dealing with her bullshit but the boyfriend has been friends with/rented from her for years and is only charged USD700 per month utilities/internet included so all I can do is try to ignore it.
Uh, that sucks. Maybe you could put up a big box and put her mail and stuff into it? Or carry it into her office?
DonRetrasado wrote:In similar vein, I hate my family treating my (attached to their house) apartment like it's a storage unit. I can't even cook 'cause there's dishes inside the oven and on top of the stove. They use my bathroom without cleaning up after themselves, and often don't even bother knocking when they come in. Plus they "borrow" stuff all the time, which does not involve telling me about it or giving it back. I know I'm living rent-free but c'mon, guys, you have an entire house to do all of these things.
That sounds like you need a key / door / lock to your apartment.
Microaggression? Microaggression!

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Kaharz wrote:I lived by myself for about 9 months. It was glorious.
I've been aching to live alone for a couple years now. Part of it is wanting to test myself to see if I'm as clean and mostly-tidy as I think I am over a long period, but I'm also a lot more gregarious than I was and good about inviting people over. It's easy to rely on housemates to be the social ones and have guests.

My two housemates moved into our current house while I was still in Australia, so they got the pick of the rooms - they left the smallest for me, of course. Half of the floor of the closet is filled with a huge ventilation duct. I jokingly complained about having the smallest room and almost no closet space, and my girl housemate fired back, "Well! You don't have as much stuff!" which was annoying because of course I'm not going to bring things I have no room for.

I dunno about the new locks idea. That seems like it might cause more trouble than it's worth unless it's really intolerable now.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

Yeah my door has a lock. Never used to use it 'cause I didn't think it was necessary, and I assumed at the start that we'd be taking old junk out of my room, not the other way around. So yeah I do use it now, even though everyone still expects to come and go as they please. Doesn't really do much when I'm out of the house unfortunately. I'm trying to be cool about things at the moment because I've been promised I can live at my grandmother's old house (as she is taking my apartment) while it's under renovation for my brother, although now I'm wondering if that's ever gonna actually happen.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Edminster wrote: The living situation is kind of like Lethal's used to be, but with the ground floor as a 'common area' with a decent kitchen and living room setup but is increasingly becoming 'all of it is landlady's office' despite her actually having another room in the house set up specifically to be her office. All clutter is blamed on her brother-in-law (who hasn't lived there for nearly a year now) and is in fact blatantly mail addressed to her or movies, books, games, and comics she's purchased. The couch is completely covered in mail except for the spot where she sits, and likewise the coffee table in front of it barring the spot her laptop goes.
I think maybe you are mistaken/misunderstood about my living arrangements?
I've ultimately only had what I would call 'shared' space in one living arrangement (aside from dorm-life), and that was in a 3-month summer sublet where 4-5 people were sharing everything but respective bedrooms. And that was something like 9 years ago, and I can't imagine having mentioned it (or you having remembered it to bring up).
I mean, I did have 'shared' and 'personal' space up to almost 3-years ago, but that was with like-minded (relatively, anyways) friends. The distinction never became an irritation, aside from minor issues about cleaning/maintaining the 'shared space'.
You are probably thinking about a few of my friend-forwarded housing options. Where I was unwilling to go back into a rented-room/shared-house situation unless other options eluded me.
Which thankfully I haven't had to consider. I still haven't gotten a chance to sign my lease, but I'm grateful that the new landlord seems almost as good as my current one, and has locked me in regardless.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

When civil engineers write project specifications that are obviously outside their area of expertise.

Part of my job is doing estimates for bids. When the specs are well written it takes me anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours depending on the size of the project and how much information I get. But when the specs for the testing we're supposed to do are unconventional, conflicting, cost prohibitive for my client, invalid, or just plain impossible, I have to spend a bunch of time documenting and explaining all of it and then have my client send it off to whoever wrote the specs so they can answer back and I can come up with an accurate bid. It usually happens because they just copied and pasted specs from a 'similar' past project, which is just lazy and error prone. In a lot of cases if they actually just read the first two or three paragraphs of the testing specification they decided to require they would realize it was the wrong one even without the expertise since most of them are not complicated at all.

And if we don't win the bid, we don't get paid for any of the work. So basically I spent company money fixing another firm's mistakes because they didn't consult someone who actually knew what they were talking about in the first place like they are supposed to. It is really upsetting how wide spread the problem is. It typically isn't a problem when it is time to do the actual work because the people doing the work are experts that have their own liability to worry about and will generally* do things right regardless of what the specifications say to avoid being sued or having their reputation destroyed later.

*I say generally, because as with any other business, there are some shady engineering firms that put money far forward of ethics and best practices. They keep getting work because they are also usually fairly cheap and their reputation is as well known outside engineering circles. At least until someone sues them into oblivion or a regulator shuts them down.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.