This forum is making you depressed

Some of the News, every Once in a While

Moderator: GreenCrayon

Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

This forum is making you depressed

Post by Sahan »

Proof.

I don't know how accurate this is, but I guess it explains why I feel a little down after I've been on the computer for a few hours, because I could never understand it before. Then again, the link seems rather tentative to say the least, all they can really confirm is that some teenagers got depressed between 1995 and 2002. I blame it on the success of Nickelback myself.
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Re: This forum is making you depressed

Post by mountainmage »

I don't feel down after being on the computer for a long period of time. I guess you could say I've built a resistance (lengthy sessions on mmos and other various computer things) over the years. I do get bored though, like fed-up that I've run out of things to do once every post has been replied to and every web-comic and youtube has been checked.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

I'm not sure the forum would count. This isn't as anti-social of an activity as most computer game playing, TV watching and such.
That said, I do believe that, within reason, the studies reports are thoroughly plausible. It makes sense.
I wouldn't say I feel depressed after long usage, necessarily. I do feel a bit down, though, if for whatever reason I'm not able to get together with friends at all for a period of time (usually due to my working afternoons), and thus spend my time only at work or only doing the things listed. But I'm usually able to realize that I've been without proper social interaction for a time. Actually, my new living arrangement has ultimately helped this, because my roomate is in school, so I'll often see him before work and when I get home, so there is some sort of social interaction. Whereas, in my old place, my roomate tended to work days, so I rarely saw him before work, and seldom when I got home (I work 3-12), so I didn't get much social interaction, and after a week or two of that, it would often take its toll.

ChooChooTrain
Ludicrous Rationale

Post by ChooChooTrain »

I would suggest that humans need to feel that they are doing something significant. All work and no play stresses me out and makes me feel pretty crappy, but the short periods of time that I've spent at the other extreme have made me feel just as crappy. On the days that I sleep in and waste the day away on videogames, I go to bed slightly regretful knowing I have wasted all of that time. I think that people either find something that they think is significant, or they tell themselves that whatever they are currently doing is significant. Nobody who spends their time playing videogames is really able to convince themselves they have accomplished anything, and so they have a nagging guilt because they know they wasted their time. I'm not really trying to make an argument against videogames. I consider myself a gamer, and I think they have their place. I do think that when too much time is spent on them, it is inevitable that the gamer will feel some regret, which could lead to depression.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." -Oscar Wilde

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

I'm so apathetic, wasted days mean nothing to me. But that's just me.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

Laneth
Plot of Hemingway and Gags

Post by Laneth »

I spent four-and-a-half years unemployed and doing nothing but surfing the 'Net and playing games - I also grew up on a computer. My dad was a tech in the Australian Air-Force and would bring home stacks of games as they came out or pirate them from overseas. I remember the good ole days of cassette gaming on the Commodore 64 *contented sigh*

PC's are my life, there's very little I do these days that doesn't involve a pc...except maybe food and sex. (immediately after typing this sentence, I felt the impeding edits or "fixes" that could come out of that...lol...come)

So yeah. Australian Psychologists that came up with this crap are just as deluded as those who say that videogame cause violent behavior in teens and young adults, and that we shouldn't have an R rating for games...
Laneth Sffarlenn
Almost like a memory, this phantasm has reappeared...

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Or M (for mature) for us Americans.

ChooChooTrain
Ludicrous Rationale

Post by ChooChooTrain »

mountainmage wrote:I'm so apathetic, wasted days mean nothing to me. But that's just me.
Perhaps they will mean something to you eventually when you look back and realize that all of those wasted days add up to a wasted month or a wasted year. Maybe you'll wish you could have it back. Maybe realizations like that are what cause some gamers to become depressed. It's just a thought, but I expect that it's at least a factor.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." -Oscar Wilde

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

I'm not a gamer though. Plus, it's not like I had anything better to do.

cheez.wiz
Human-based Product

Post by cheez.wiz »

How can you waste a day?

I, for one, still think, act and react everyday. Either by reading, watching tv (though that one is so-so in my opinion) or reading webcomics you'll come around to at least create one valid thought each day. Don't you?
bird bird bird, bird is a word, b-b-b-b-bird oh yeah bird is a word, bird bird bird

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Exactly. A day alive is a day not wasted, in my opinion.

w1ndy

Post by w1ndy »

Depression sucks, but I believe there are natural cures, it's called sex, pot, and rock and roll.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

w1ndy wrote:Depression sucks, but I believe there are natural cures, it's called sex, pot, and rock and roll.
Oh man, Ahmet's always gonna be depressed what with his sadness & loneliness, abstaining from drugs, and avoiding the Devil's music.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

What about those people who go to clubs, listen to music, then get drugged and raped?

Rainbow
*~t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m~*

Post by Rainbow »

What about those people that listen to smooth jazz? Oh, wait, we know they're already dead inside.
AHMETxROCK wrote:This is not quoteworthy.