What if Marijuana Were Legal? Possible Outcomes.

Some of the News, every Once in a While

Moderator: GreenCrayon

AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Re: What if Marijuana Were Legal? Possible Outcomes.

Post by AHMETxRock »

I totally didn't lie, maybe,, and you have no proof, I think.
Just like an std, will never fully go away.

astasia
Is Totally a People

Post by astasia »

AHMETxRock wrote:I totally didn't lie, maybe,, and you have no proof, I think.
Except, an eye-witness.
If we weren't such good friends, I'd wish you were dead.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

It's totally two against one, liar. 'Fess up, or walk the plank!
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Post by AHMETxRock »

Two of you? Wow. That's exactly the number of machine guns I'm holding in my hands.

So yeah. As someone who spent five years getting drug dealers off the streets in my last house, I'm totally against anyone who thinks drug usage is okay, let alone buys or sells.

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

mountainmage wrote:Yeah, but I literally had no money, and I'm not willing to give someone a BJ for pot, or anything else for that matter.
That's how we know that pot isn't addictive! Just like Bob Saget told us.

Luckily I never met any full-time dealers, that sounds just unpleasant. But all of my friends did way more drugs than I ever did, and I've never found them to be objectionable people. Just rebellious and perhaps kind of dumb (perhaps). Personally, I don't see the appeal of pot whatsoever, but rebellious kids love it.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

I have also avoided pot. Second hand is as far as that has come, both at concerts and just hanging around people who were smoking up. About 4 years ago I was at a party and we were all hanging around the back door (an unfinished, mostly sealed room with a door to the outside) of my friends place smoking (cigarettes for most of us), and one of the guys was packing his bong. I'd never actually seen it done, so I was watching him with some fascination. He took that as me wanting a hit. I politely declined. I've never really had any interest in using the stuff.
I've also never even approached binge-drinking. I've thrown up from booze twice, but I've never "lost time" or passed out from the stuff. I've really only been properly drunk about half a dozen times. Somewhat drunk probably falls in the area of 15 or so times.

Avalant
Ahmet's sex life

Post by Avalant »

I like pot by itself, every now and then. It's fun to get baked eat junk food and pass out. However if you've already been drinking I suggest avoiding it unless you want to end your night early by passing out or vomiting. (There are, um, other substances that will have the opposite effect)

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

I've probably always been a little too straitlaced to smoke pot, but I'd never really made my mind up on the subject until a couple years ago. I had a roommate who had started the summer before, and he was a different person when he came back. Hardly did anything anymore, except smoke and drink (which he also picked up that summer, shortly after the weed). They could have set up a camera in our room for a while and made a public service announcement out of him. He dropped out the following year - I don't mean to imply a one-to-one causal relationship, but I think there's probably a connection.
I've known a few other smokers, all of whom seem to function pretty well, and I suspect that I know plenty of people that smoke and I just don't realize it. But I am boring enough as it is. I can't afford to take that risk.
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

I know two kinds of smokers:
1. Will smoke and not say anything for the rest of the night. This is so boring and I hate going to parties like this.
2. Will smoke and (confusingly) become hyperactive. I've ran all across downtown trying to keep up with these people, and I really, simply, can't do it, especially if I've been smoking.

ZachWeiner
Iron Chef Texas

Post by ZachWeiner »

Personally, I don't do any drugs and pretty much never drank. I believe I drank twice last year, both times on celebratory occasions. This year, not at all.

That said, two of my best friends have used plenty of drugs, and I don't think they should be in jail or fined. They're both healthy productive people.

I don't see why we can't just regulate drugs like... drugs. If I wanted, I'm sure I could get valium no problem in about a day. But if I wanted a few ounces of marijuana, it's illegal.

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

I can probably get marijuana no problem in a day. I have a hell of a time getting fun drugs, though. And the gov'ment keeps adultering my cough syrup!

rustypup
Indignant Newshound

Post by rustypup »

Smoked casually in between matriculation and call-up. Had space pizza once or twice since then.

With the exception of two from a group of around fifty, most of those I smoked with completely failed to develop into full blown drop-outs. Of the two exceptions, one, (typical minister's-daughter-turned-rebel), developed serious addiction issues and the other was caught dealing.

Between the boozehounds and potheads, I'll take the potheads. Far less violent and generally disinclined to drive around running others off the road.
Half dachsund, half sneaky neighbour's dog - all nose.

rustypup
Indignant Newshound

Post by rustypup »

Time wrote:Portugal, which in 2001 became the first European country to officially abolish all criminal penalties for personal possession of drugs, including marijuana, cocaine, heroin and methamphetamine.
<...>
Under Portugal's new regime, people found guilty of possessing small amounts of drugs are sent to a panel consisting of a psychologist, social worker and legal adviser for appropriate treatment (which may be refused without criminal punishment), instead of jail.
<...>
does the new policy work?
<..>
"Judging by every metric, decriminalization in Portugal has been a resounding success," says Glenn Greenwald, an attorney, author and fluent Portuguese speaker, who conducted the research. "It has enabled the Portuguese government to manage and control the drug problem far better than virtually every other Western country does."
I have my doubts as to some of the claims, the result was predictable.
Half dachsund, half sneaky neighbour's dog - all nose.

Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

Post by Sahan »

I was reading an article about a program here where minor drug related offenders could be offered a rehabilitation instead of a jail sentence. They basically have to keep to both routine and random police check ups and drug tests, regularly come to workshops and obviously not be caught with drugs (though I understand they were able to get off with a couple of warnings provided the offences were not serious .

The article was full of praise, mentioning how those who were able to stick with this alternative were able to turn their lives around before they plunged further into crime-filled lives, something conventional jails are not notoriously bad at doing. I agree with this philosophy, because I believe most people are capable of turning themselves around if live gives them a second chance.
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?

AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Post by AHMETxRock »

Most drug dealers are poor saps trying to break into a potential market, and not caring about the laws. "I've been following the rules, and I'm poor. I can break the rules and enjoy myself, so why not?"
An outreach program is the only way to cull these people away from drug dealing. Only the drug lords at the higher levels profit, and that's due to their organization abilities and their profits. There are grunts, soldiers, and the headmen, and finally those big drug overlords. Big drug overlords goes to a head that is running the operation in an area and supplies the drugs for cash. The grunts are made to sell the product for a low cost return, with soldiers enforcing the rules. The soldiers make decent pay, and the grunts are all trying to become a soldier. They're willing to make the risk, trying their best to be able to move up to soldier status.