Creationism.

Some of the News, every Once in a While

Moderator: GreenCrayon

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Re: Creationism.

Post by Kimra »

Fortunately for you, duck is indeed a vegetable. It isn't a widely known vegetable, but it is closely related to the 'chicken' vegetable.
King Prawn

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Oldrac the Chitinous wrote:*A major world religion.
I was wondering where the subscript for that asterisk was. Now I see. You snuck it in as a postcount++. Clever. And you thought no one would notice.
Thomas Aquinas wrote:
mountainmage wrote:It's true though. A lot of American words have been Japan-a-nized. For example, the main character in Death Note (an anime) is nicknamed "Kira", which is the Japanese adaptation of the English "killer".
Just because it's true doesn't mean it's not racist... at least not in the modern usage. The explanation came very close to the stereotyped description of Japanese accents, and besides, most languages do that anyway.
On a semi-related note, I was watching some Russell Peter's* standup (Red, White and Brown) and he was talking about how American Sign Language is incredibly racist. How the sign for Chinese is slanted eyes, the sign for Indian is putting your thumb where the bindi would be, and Mexican being either a poncho-type sign, or twirling a long moustache. I did not know these things, even though my mother is an ASL interpreter (I know staggeringly little sign language, actually). Kind of funny, really.

*Brampton represent!

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

Lethal Interjection wrote:I was wondering where the subscript for that asterisk was. Now I see. You snuck it in as a postcount++. Clever. And you thought no one would notice.
But I'm so glad you did.
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

Rainbow
*~t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m~*

Post by Rainbow »

Are you?
AHMETxROCK wrote:This is not quoteworthy.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

I hope so, because I giggled when I saw it.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Maybe I should leave more random footnote markers without actual footnotes.* I had been going to comment that I can never remember which is the denomination Christianity of Catholicism.
King Prawn

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Lethal Interjection wrote:*Brampton represent!
Really? Then again I'm not surprised at all, a racist Indian comic from Brampton? How outlandish. Some of my relatives had to move from there because they couldn't stand them (not a surprise we're related). I saw his free concert at Dundas Square last year, very funny. There was some other comedian there that I can't remember the name of and I'm kicking myself for it, but he was also very funny (EDIT: It's Jo Koy).

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Yeah, but he hasn't lived in Brampton since he "made it". He's lived in LA since before his last two DVDs.
And I don't know if I would call him racist, persay. Race-related humour, often based on stereotypes, sure. What I appreciate about him over other race-related comics, is he is much better at including a plethora of races, unlike most others who are just self-deprecating in regards to their own race. Which gets tired pretty damned quick.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Lethal Interjection wrote:Yeah, but he hasn't lived in Brampton since he "made it". He's lived in LA since before his last two DVDs.
And I don't know if I would call him racist, persay. Race-related humour, often based on stereotypes, sure. What I appreciate about him over other race-related comics, is he is much better at including a plethora of races, unlike most others who are just self-deprecating in regards to their own race. Which gets tired pretty damned quick.
I'd call Russel Peters boderline, personally. There's no maliciousness or ignorance in his humour, but at the same time he goes out of his way to shock his audience, and he does say some things he knows a lot of people consider racist to do it.

I'm personally not a huge fan, but it's more to do with the fact that I don't find him funny and I think he's trying too hard to be edgy or hip.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

smiley_cow wrote:
Lethal Interjection wrote:Yeah, but he hasn't lived in Brampton since he "made it". He's lived in LA since before his last two DVDs.
I'd call Russel Peters boderline, personally. There's no maliciousness or ignorance in his humour, but at the same time he goes out of his way to shock his audience, and he does say some things he knows a lot of people consider racist to do it.

I'm personally not a huge fan, but it's more to do with the fact that I don't find him funny and I think he's trying too hard to be edgy or hip.
I did notice the shock factor and blatant attempts to offend from Red White and Brown. I don't really remember it from the other two DVDs though (Outsourced and the one from Comedy Now). I thought it was relatively light, clean fare. I could just be misremembering.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

I'm thinking back when he hosted last Juno awards. It's possible it's not a regular thing from him. I haven't seen his DVDs. But he certainly has done it.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

When it comes to comics who make fun of race, Lisa Lampanelli is probably the "edgiest" one I like. Never heard of Russel Peters, though.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

mountainmage wrote:When it comes to comics who make fun of race, Lisa Lampanelli is probably the "edgiest" one I like. Never heard of Russel Peters, though.
She just makes fun of everyone. I like her on the Comedy Central roasts, but I don't think I could ever listen to her doing straight stand-up.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

I know race isn't her only thing, I'm just saying it's her main thing.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Ah, sweet justice.

I didn't feel like making a new topic, for the record.