This week in Australia

Some of the News, every Once in a While

Moderator: GreenCrayon

Re: This week in Australia

Postby LordRetard » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:33 am

Google translate is terrible, I have to fix everything when I use it. Also this is from a song, so it's kind of confusing.

The translation is "now that you fell from this earth, I carry* a Damn, my God, for you."

*"Cargar" does not translate well; here it means to load oneself, as in with a burden.
User avatar
LordRetard
The Most Retardedest
 
Posts: 9999
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:44 pm
Location: My Parents' Basement

Re: This week in Australia

Postby Apocalyptus » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:23 am

Kimra wrote:
"Everyone's watching this - it's totally global."

I wonder if this is really the case. People of the non-Australian persuasion, have you heard of this incident before today? (i.e. the Melbourne film festival not the hacking)


Haha yeah I was a bit skeptical about that too - I only knew about it because my cousin told me, so I doubt it's going to be a big deal for anyone not Chinese or in Melbourne...
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."
User avatar
Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting
 
Posts: 5301
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: This week in Australia

Postby Kimra » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:19 am

I knew about the confrontation but I hadn't heard about that particular incident.

On a separate note Congratulations to the two American Journalists who just got released by North Korea when Bill Clinton went and apologised on their behalf. Nice to see they got a good resolution.
King Prawn
User avatar
Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt
 
Posts: 6872
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:18 am
Location: meanwhile elsewhere

Re: This week in Australia

Postby smiley_cow » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:45 am

So someone linked me to this picture, and I was wondering if someone here understood it.

Image

Edit: Or at least knew what it was a reference to.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.
User avatar
smiley_cow
polite but murderous
 
Posts: 6518
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:15 pm
Location: The vast and desolate prairies

Re: This week in Australia

Postby Apocalyptus » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:22 am

Huh. Not sure I get it, but it must be referring to the controversial logging of old growth forests that has been happening in Tasmania for awhile. I think someone even proposed a wood chip mill or something...
Here is a link to some article about it .
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."
User avatar
Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting
 
Posts: 5301
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: This week in Australia

Postby Kimra » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:40 am

Apocalyptus wrote:Huh. Not sure I get it, but it must be referring to the controversial logging of old growth forests that has been happening in Tasmania for awhile. I think someone even proposed a wood chip mill or something...
Here is a link to some article about it .


I'd be more worried about what she's doing to you Apocalyptus.
King Prawn
User avatar
Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt
 
Posts: 6872
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:18 am
Location: meanwhile elsewhere

Re: This week in Australia

Postby Apocalyptus » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:25 am

Kimra wrote:
Apocalyptus wrote:Huh. Not sure I get it, but it must be referring to the controversial logging of old growth forests that has been happening in Tasmania for awhile. I think someone even proposed a wood chip mill or something...
Here is a link to some article about it .


I'd be more worried about what she's doing to you Apocalyptus.


Yes well I'd find 'unnatural relations' with a Hippy less worrying than with a timber company in bondage riding the Australian court system. Somehow that doesn't really get my motor running. I mean, he can't even spell honour properly!
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."
User avatar
Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting
 
Posts: 5301
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: This week in Australia

Postby Kimra » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:00 am

Apocalyptus wrote:Yes well I'd find 'unnatural relations' with a Hippy less worrying than with a timber company in bondage riding the Australian court system. Somehow that doesn't really get my motor running. I mean, he can't even spell honour properly!


I have a few problems with this comic, not that I stare at the political satire ones very much. Why is the authors sig and web address backwards? Why the hell is there a woodpecker in the picture? I admit to not knowing all of Australias animals, but I was pretty sure we didn't have a woodpecker.

But Cow I have to admit that Apoc. is right, the only reference I can make is vaguely to the Tasmanian logging. On the plus side, with each tree we export we also export the Red Back Spider. In Nagoya port (Japan) where I went once or twice they had huge warning signs up about them... came in on Tasmanian timber. I'd never been more proud to be Australian.
King Prawn
User avatar
Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt
 
Posts: 6872
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:18 am
Location: meanwhile elsewhere

Re: This week in Australia

Postby Sahan » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:20 pm

It was a big issue in Tasmania in the last election from memory. The Greens and other environmentalists wanted to protect the old growth forests, whilst the majority of Tasmanians wanted a proposed logging mill because the job prospects. It seemed as though the Labor Party's anti-logging stance on the issue would jeapordise their big lead in the polls in Tasmania, and the polls were expected to be very tight. That's all I could think about.
Destructicus wrote:Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?
User avatar
Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."
 
Posts: 4367
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:20 am
Location: Perth, Australia

Re: This week in Australia

Postby smiley_cow » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:10 pm

Thanks! This is exactly what I was trying to find out. :)
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.
User avatar
smiley_cow
polite but murderous
 
Posts: 6518
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:15 pm
Location: The vast and desolate prairies

Re: This week in Australia

Postby Kimra » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:47 am

smiley_cow wrote:Thanks! This is exactly what I was trying to find out. :)

Wait... which bit? Who's answer? It wasn't mine.... but I still want to know! Tell me!
King Prawn
User avatar
Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt
 
Posts: 6872
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:18 am
Location: meanwhile elsewhere

Re: This week in Australia

Postby Cirtur » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:49 am

No one cares, it's a former penal colony. Now can we please talk about more important matters, namely, my new watch.
User avatar
Cirtur
Licensed Troll Pornographer
 
Posts: 9996
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:13 pm
Location: Europe

Re: This week in Australia

Postby smiley_cow » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:51 am

Kimra wrote:
smiley_cow wrote:Thanks! This is exactly what I was trying to find out. :)

Wait... which bit? Who's answer? It wasn't mine.... but I still want to know! Tell me!


Actually that was directed at all three of you.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.
User avatar
smiley_cow
polite but murderous
 
Posts: 6518
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:15 pm
Location: The vast and desolate prairies

Re: This week in Australia

Postby Cirtur » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:53 am

smiley_cow wrote:
Kimra wrote:
smiley_cow wrote:Thanks! This is exactly what I was trying to find out. :)

Wait... which bit? Who's answer? It wasn't mine.... but I still want to know! Tell me!


Actually that was directed at all three of you.


Yo. Perspective.

Image

Now talk about my watch!
User avatar
Cirtur
Licensed Troll Pornographer
 
Posts: 9996
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:13 pm
Location: Europe

Re: This week in Australia

Postby Kimra » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:09 am

Cirtur wrote:Yo. Perspective.

starving_child-sudan2.jpg

Now talk about my watch!


I'd like to point out right now that you fail at topic. This week in Australia.

NEWS: This week in Australia Kimra is a bitch.

p.s. your watch is purple how nice for your feminist liberation.
King Prawn
User avatar
Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt
 
Posts: 6872
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:18 am
Location: meanwhile elsewhere

PreviousNext

Return to Random News Network

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest