I read the news today, oh boy

Some of the News, every Once in a While

Moderator: GreenCrayon

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Re: I read the news today, oh boy

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

I like to imagine a farmer tilling the land 300 years in the future finding all these pacemakers and dentures.
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

trickcyclist

Post by trickcyclist »

There are a couple of green burial sites near our house. I like the idea. I think either that, or donating my cast off husk to one of those research body farms where they watch you slowly decay to inform future episodes of CSI.
The tracks are curved and my train of thought accelerates tangentially. Whooo whooooo.

trickcyclist

Post by trickcyclist »

Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:I like to imagine a farmer tilling the land 300 years in the future finding all these pacemakers and dentures.
The pacemakers have to be removed in the UK. The undertaker gets a fee for it. If you don't remove them and get cremated they have a tendency to explode.
The tracks are curved and my train of thought accelerates tangentially. Whooo whooooo.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

trickcyclist wrote:
Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:I like to imagine a farmer tilling the land 300 years in the future finding all these pacemakers and dentures.
The pacemakers have to be removed in the UK. The undertaker gets a fee for it. If you don't remove them and get cremated they have a tendency to explode.
All the more reason to leave them in! Gotta keep the crematorium technicians on their toes, after all.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

The scary thing is, Daniel Radcliff can pick and choose his movies as he likes. He PICKED that one.

"Also, he apparently rides him like a jet ski." - I want to know if this is a euphemism, but also I don't want to know.
King Prawn

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

Apparently he literally uses him as a fart powered jet ski.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

How does the Sundance Movie Festival work? Famous actors get to suggest movies?
Microaggression? Microaggression!

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Astrogirl wrote:How does the Sundance Movie Festival work? Famous actors get to suggest movies?
I just had a very brief look at this. Apparently anyone can submit a film they have made. They get up to 18,000 entries. Someone at the festival will watch the movie, if they like it they push it up the ranks, if they don't it gets rejected. Then they look at the upper ones and do things like reject all but one with a similar theme etc etc.

It sounds all very boring. But the film makers have to submit.
King Prawn

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

So what you're saying is, Dan Radcliffe's Farting Boner Corpse Bonanza: The Movie was the best of the myriad farting boner corpse movies which were submitted. Good to know.

gödel stop spreading fud

Felstaff
XKCD spy

Post by Felstaff »

smiley_cow wrote:The aliens are silent because they are all extinct

Well today in sad headlines.
I don't think that's necessarily true. I've thought a lot about the Fermi Paradox, and my reasoning boils down to 'well, if we haven't found them yet, why do we think they can find us?'

We're but an unimportant speck in an unimportant tendril of an unimportant galaxy. There's 10^22 stars out there - for every grain of sand on every beach on earth, there are 10,000 stars in existence. Even a conservative estimate of 0.1% of of those stars having an earth-like planet capable of evolving life (as we know it, Jim), it still results in at least a coupla thousand of possibly-sentient life forms currently inhabiting the Milky Way. They're having a whale of a time, solar-system hopping in their galactic Porsche Spyders like some sort of extraterrestrial planet-harvesting James Dean. We're nothing but a small patch of mould behind their grandmother's fridge; and she lives way out in a trailer in the sticks. James Dean never looks at mould behind his own fridge, let alone grandma's.

I crossed through the currently, as there's a 99.9% chance a.) they are extinct, b.) they haven't evolved to harness the power of interstellar colonisation yet, or c.) they have but we're too miniscule and irrelevant to their plans; we're as unnoticed as emokid2001's poem "She Can't Understand the Bleakness of My Soul" on DeviantArt. Or d.) they're a bunch of hyperintelligent crystalline beings, who can't move 'cause they're goddamn crystals. Or e.) they're already here, but exist on a plane that's out of our scope of perception, either by dimension or magnitude.

If they're at b.), and they're not at the not-killing-each-other-for-religious-reasons yet, then they won't be at the point of slithering out of the primordial soup for another coupla eons, give or take an epoch or two. Humans have had the tiniest window on time imaginable. After being in the evolutionary oven for a few billion years or so, in the Great TimeClock, it was only one second ago we discovered the moon revolves around the earth. Two seconds ago we were worshiping the sun god as he passed across the sky in his golden chariot, and three seconds ago we discovered fire (and celebrated by clubbing our neighbour and scrawling a poorly-drawn yak on a cave wall). Twenty minutes ago, the dinosaurs left the party. Suffice to say, the point in which humanity peaks is probably very unlikely synchronised with the point another civilisation does. However, the chance is increased by the fact we all began with the same starting gun - and that made one hell of a Big Bang - so there might be stronger synchronicity between our development and nonterrestrial civilisations - but it only takes a planet to cool or warm a few degrees more than us at a critical juncture in special development for the process to be expedited or retarded by half a gazillion years.

So they're not all extinct. We just haven't synchronised our evolutionary Casio watches with theirs. Half of them might be extinct already, and half might not be extinct until they discover nukes in a few million years' time. Or they get a four-mile meteor to the face in the year 20,162,016 A.D. Basically, the alien races out there--us included--might not have even hit The Great Filter yet. Or they have, and it wiped them out. Or they have, and survived. Or they have, survived, and thrived. Or they have, survived, thrived, and colonised the nearest inhabitable planet. Or they have, survived, thrived, colonised and expanded. Or they have, survived, thrived, colonised, expanded and now control the entire galaxy. And we're just the mould behind their grandma's fridge.
255 characters of free advertising space? I'm selling these line feather jackets...

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

There is this long tumblr post with nice pictures http://greenskyoverme.tumblr.com/post/1 ... -the-fermi that lists several solutions/explanations to the Fermi Paradox.
Microaggression? Microaggression!

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Felstaff wrote: we're as unnoticed as emokid2001's poem "She Can't Understand the Bleakness of My Soul" on DeviantArt.
I'm having to restrain myself from looking up that poem.

GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

Aliens could just be really far away.
http://www.express.co.uk/news/science/6 ... -telescope
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.