Everybody Draw Muhammed Day

Some of the News, every Once in a While

Moderator: GreenCrayon

Re: Everybody Draw Muhammed Day

Postby Cirtur » Mon May 03, 2010 7:49 am

That's Man Club.
User avatar
Cirtur
Licensed Troll Pornographer
 
Posts: 9996
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:13 pm
Location: Europe

Re: Everybody Draw Muhammed Day

Postby Lethal Interjection » Mon May 03, 2010 10:52 am

Oldrac the Chitinous wrote:I was under the impression that "pants" meant "underwear" to two-thirds of the people in this conversation anyway.


I think that about the people in most conversations. And it goes well, usually. Until they notice I'm not wearing any pants.
User avatar
Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution
 
Posts: 8059
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:17 pm
Location: Behind your ear. It's magic!

Re: Everybody Draw Muhammed Day

Postby Apocalyptus » Mon May 03, 2010 12:32 pm

Apocalyptus wrote:I can't draw men, and I'm not going to start now!

You know I should really listen to myself more.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."
User avatar
Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting
 
Posts: 5301
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Everybody Draw Muhammed Day

Postby Raziel » Mon May 03, 2010 2:23 pm

All I can say is... wow. I want to be in Man Club. Do I have to kill a hooker to get in? Or maybe beat up a child when I know there will be absolutely no repercussions? Or how about drink motor oil because I'm too poor to afford actual alcohol?

Also: Well Ahmet, apparently I'm the only one who bothered to read your entire post, and I will admit that you bring up some good points, however I'm still sticking with what I said to begin with. It's not that I think people should have the right to bash anything they'd like for no other point than to make trouble, but I don't feel that I should be restricted by the rules of a religion that I'm not a member of. Like you said: I was born in the US, I really can't help but go along with the rules established here, and I recognize that I hold a level of responsibility for what my shitty country does, but that's a two way street. The reason I have to obey the laws of the US is because I'm a member of it. Were I a Muslim, I would have to adhere to the rules which go along with that as well, but since I'm not, I see no reason that I should give special treatment to one group of people. This is why in my post I encouraged people to draw inoffensive pictures. The point here isn't to piss people off (although I'm certain that it will be used as an excuse to do so by some), the point is to not let the minority, no matter how vocal they may be, falsely represent the majority. If I've missed what you were trying to say then by all means, help me understand.
Olympian mating rituals: "I'm gonna turn into a swan and fuck you!"
User avatar
Raziel
8=======D ~ ~ ~
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:15 am
Location: Hopefully with Sarah

Re: Everybody Draw Muhammed Day

Postby AHMETxRock » Mon May 03, 2010 3:32 pm

That's fair.
Just like an std, will never fully go away.
User avatar
AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop
 
Posts: 5524
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:54 am
Location: Box of Cereal.

Re: Everybody Draw Muhammed Day

Postby Frostbite » Mon May 03, 2010 4:06 pm

Raziel wrote:All I can say is... wow. I want to be in Man Club. Do I have to kill a hooker to get in? Or maybe beat up a child when I know there will be absolutely no repercussions? Or how about drink motor oil because I'm too poor to afford actual alcohol?


We don't really have a...joining procedure yet. Haven't thought that far ahead yet.
Doin' podcasts before they were cool.
User avatar
Frostbite
I dunno.
 
Posts: 2611
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:34 am
Location: Avoiding the zombie hordes.

Re: Everybody Draw Muhammed Day

Postby smiley_cow » Mon May 03, 2010 6:06 pm

Raziel wrote:Also: Well Ahmet, apparently I'm the only one who bothered to read your entire post, and I will admit that you bring up some good points, however I'm still sticking with what I said to begin with. It's not that I think people should have the right to bash anything they'd like for no other point than to make trouble, but I don't feel that I should be restricted by the rules of a religion that I'm not a member of. Like you said: I was born in the US, I really can't help but go along with the rules established here, and I recognize that I hold a level of responsibility for what my shitty country does, but that's a two way street. The reason I have to obey the laws of the US is because I'm a member of it. Were I a Muslim, I would have to adhere to the rules which go along with that as well, but since I'm not, I see no reason that I should give special treatment to one group of people. This is why in my post I encouraged people to draw inoffensive pictures. The point here isn't to piss people off (although I'm certain that it will be used as an excuse to do so by some), the point is to not let the minority, no matter how vocal they may be, falsely represent the majority. If I've missed what you were trying to say then by all means, help me understand.


I had read it, though I was afraid responding to it would reopen a discussion I get the feeling most forumites here were eager to end. Now it's been reopened, I hope people don't mind if I quickly throw in my response if that's alright. :P (If not, feel free not to read.)

I will say to Ahmet that's it's probably his best defence yet and though I understand and fully appreciate why Muslims would chant 'Death to America' in a street, I still don't believe it's fair to judge people individually for coming from a nation that as a group committed horrible atrocities. I think it's fair to say that as a country the United States screwed up, that there are a lot of Americans out there who were are unfortunately still overly patriotic (in a bad way) and very anti-semitic, and these wide-spread attitudes are very damaging. But the point remains that even if it's a lot, it's not every American. And for the Americans that don't judge people based on the colour of the their skin or who they're praying for, who do welcome thoughtful debate about the government and who have tried what they could to make a difference, they don't deserve to be lumped in that category.

AHMETxRock wrote:Anyways, the point is, it's not racist because it's not something that's beyond your control.


This sums up my point well I think. You're right, as a group, the American people hold all the power. Individually however, you don't have a lot. And individually a lot of people have tried to make a difference in the U.S.,* they just didn't succeed. Even if they didn't, I'm not entirely sure they can be blamed, you can feel pretty powerless when it's you against everyone. Though that may be a debate for another time.

My two cents anyways.

*Actually in my experience, Americans tend to be quite a bit more proactive than Canadians are. We are a pretty apathetic nation.
Last edited by smiley_cow on Wed May 19, 2010 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.
User avatar
smiley_cow
polite but murderous
 
Posts: 6518
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:15 pm
Location: The vast and desolate prairies

Re: Everybody Draw Muhammed Day

Postby Euclidthegreek » Wed May 05, 2010 3:09 am

smiley_cow wrote:I had read it, though I was afraid responding to it would reopen a discussion I get the feeling most forumites here were eager to end. Now it's been reopened, I hope people don't mind if I quickly throw in my response if that's alright. :P (If not, feel free not to read.)

I will say to Ahmet that's it's probably his best defence yet and though I understand and fully appreciate why Muslims would chant 'Death to America' in a street, I still don't believe it's fair to judge people individually for coming from a nation that as a group committed horrible atrocities.
To be fair, they're chanting "Death to America", not "Death to Americans". But maybe that's just semantics.

I also read the whole post, and I had a snappy reply that I aborted when I couldn't find a way to finish it. Ahmet makes a pretty good point that I mostly agree with, although some of his examples are questionable.
Edminster wrote:I'm starting to think Euclid lives in the past.
User avatar
Euclidthegreek
Fisty McGee
 
Posts: 1879
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:06 pm
Location: The Mathiverse

Draw Mohammed Day

Postby abbey » Wed May 19, 2010 7:56 pm

Will anyone actually do it?!
User avatar
abbey
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 5:30 am
Location: Toronto

Re: Everybody Draw Muhammed Day

Postby LordRetard » Wed May 19, 2010 8:04 pm

The general consensus was "no that seems kinda terrible," although a few people said they would.
User avatar
LordRetard
The Most Retardedest
 
Posts: 9999
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:44 pm
Location: My Parents' Basement

Re: Everybody Draw Muhammed Day

Postby abbey » Wed May 19, 2010 8:51 pm

Oh sorry about the duplicate thread. I get to use newness as an excuse. >:)

I'd do it on some forum where I can be anonymous, but not on Facebook or YouTube where people I know can see what I upload. I don't know any muslims right now, but I don't want to burn bridges before they're even made.

I'm a bit confused by this whole mess. Censorship is bad. The idea that you're not allowed to draw a prophet is weird, and seems archaic. While this rule may have been justified thousands of years ago, it's harder to do that now.

What if I decided that I would be offended by any image of Edward Cullen? Should everyone around me really avoid producing images of him for the sake of my feelings? Am I so special that my right to not be offended is above everyone else's right to freedom of speech? Is "not being offended" even a right?

The way I see it, muslims shouldn't be worried about what the secular world draws, because the secular world (by definition) isn't going to turn any image of Muhammad into an idol. They should be more focused on governing they way they live their own lives instead of trying to censor others.

Anyways, by the looks of this thread, the discussion died down weeks ago. Tomorrow is May 20, and it'll be interesting to see what actually happens.
User avatar
abbey
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 5:30 am
Location: Toronto

Re: Everybody Draw Muhammed Day

Postby LordRetard » Wed May 19, 2010 8:55 pm

I'm totally anti-censorship and totally in support of freedom of speech. My way of thinking, though, is "you're only doing this to aggravate people; why?" I'd never say you couldn't draw Muhammed, and I think everyone has the right to participate in Draw Muhammed Day. All the same they should know that it's really not going to improve the situation anywhere, and will most likely just give crazy muslim fundamentalists something new to bitch about.

Freedom of speech is important, but people have the same freedom to react to what you say; that's why you should always think about what you're saying.
User avatar
LordRetard
The Most Retardedest
 
Posts: 9999
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:44 pm
Location: My Parents' Basement

Re: Everybody Draw Muhammed Day

Postby Oldrac the Chitinous » Wed May 19, 2010 10:45 pm

It is always your inviolable right to make an insufferable douchenozzle of yourself for no reason other than to increase the amount of misery in the world.
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.
User avatar
Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea
 
Posts: 3489
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:41 pm
Location: The Perfect Stillness of the Deep

Re: Everybody Draw Muhammed Day

Postby LordRetard » Wed May 19, 2010 10:47 pm

Oldrac the Chitinous wrote:It is always your inviolable right to make an insufferable douchenozzle of yourself for no reason other than to increase the amount of misery in the world.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not but this summarises my feelings pretty much.
User avatar
LordRetard
The Most Retardedest
 
Posts: 9999
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:44 pm
Location: My Parents' Basement

Re: Everybody Draw Muhammed Day

Postby Oldrac the Chitinous » Wed May 19, 2010 10:49 pm

No sarcasm here! I'm with you on this one.
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.
User avatar
Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea
 
Posts: 3489
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:41 pm
Location: The Perfect Stillness of the Deep

PreviousNext

Return to Random News Network

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests