Good Comics

Everything else.

Moderator: GreenCrayon

AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Re: Good Comics

Post by AHMETxRock »

I didn't think it until SOMEONE put the terrible, terrible, TERRIBLE idea into my head.
Also, I notice that Cyanide and happyness made a joke on a robot that could love.
Just like an std, will never fully go away.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Print comics are mostly crap. I occasionally like Get Fuzzy, Non-sequitor, and a few others. I used to like Dilbert, Adam, and Sherman's Lagoon, but they definitely "jumped the shark" years ago, and are mostly unfunny now (particularly with the whole Adam @ Home nonsense). Calvin and Hobbes and Farside are great, for sure.
I've actually never been a comic book guy, much to many people's surprise. Most of my comic knowledge is from Saturday morning cartoons.
I've read a few graphic novels over the years such as Sin City, that Marvel 1407 or whatever it is called. I just read Watchmen, it was good. I really liked the ending. I'm looking forward to the movie.

Asherian
Token Erisian

Post by Asherian »

I learned my lesson with V for Vendetta about looking forward to an Alan Moore comic remake movie. I actually caused physical injury to someone I was with after that thing from sheer rage... Thankfully he didn't mind cause he was trying to claw his eyes out from the pain of seeing it.
As pure as the driven snow. Bitches

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

My problem is that cinema resonates with me more than comic books. For example, the pacing of Watchmen was barely enough to keep me reading, though I was glad I did. The artistry is great, and the story telling is good, but somehow in the form of the comic book, I just can't appreciate both at the same time, which lowers my enjoyment. But that's me.
With books it is different. In that case it is my imagination vs. the scriptwriter/director/etc. And I can appreciate their different approach (as well as the struggles of exact adaption), as long as it isn't a complete disregard of the source material. It is why I have little respect for any of the Jurassic Park movie franchise (taking the material from one book, stretching it into 3 films). But, on the other hand, I love both Sphere the book and the movie, even though they are very different beasts. I'm able to recognize the merits of both cinema and books, for the most part.

TwoBuy
Clinically Casbah Rockin'

Post by TwoBuy »

Lethal Interjection wrote:It is why I have little respect for any of the Jurassic Park movie franchise (taking the material from one book, stretching it into 3 films).
Maybe you should follow my lead and not read any book that has plans to be made into a movie until after you see the movie. Jurassic Park was an awesome movie if you aren't trying to compare it to a book. Same with V. Even the Harry Potter movies have been enjoyable. Maybe I'll even read the books at some point.
Stories from 19-yo mistresses
Hey girl whats up
A drunk driver hit my blind, 12-yo sister on her way home from school. Im @ the funeral
hahaha
That wasnt a joke dick-hole
Oh
Sooooo... my gf will be out of town Wednesday. U gunna be back by then?

Asherian
Token Erisian

Post by Asherian »

Honestly part of me is more forgiving of books to movie then comic books. I mean you've got a built in storyboard with a comic, books are a lot more open to interpretation. For instance, I'm a big star ship troopers fan. Both the book and the movies(3 is hilarious in that oh god they actually made this way, 2 just tries to hard.), even the tv spin off that became a bastardization of both. Especially incases like V for Vendetta or Wanted where there's a clear message that is just.. ignored or perverted into something not even recognizable it gets my ire up, assuming I had any faith to start.

I Am Legend is just a great example of it, its been made into a movie, what 3 or 4 times now? Each one focuses on a different aspect of the short story, and yet not one of the movies captures the end message. Civilization will change, but continue. (In the story) it was the vampires coming to terms with what they've become and killing off the last human, now a boogie man to them who's been slaughtering them while helpless during the day. Hence the title/end line, referring to the fact that he is now the creature unreal ectra. What has every single movie done? Make the vampires sub-human, either into mindless zombies or semi-intelligent bestial monsters(latest one they showed trap making, but no language.), and the only hope to be seen is a Group of still humans with a 'cure'. At least will smith died.

Asherian
Token Erisian

Post by Asherian »

TwoBuy wrote:
Lethal Interjection wrote:It is why I have little respect for any of the Jurassic Park movie franchise (taking the material from one book, stretching it into 3 films).
Maybe you should follow my lead and not read any book that has plans to be made into a movie until after you see the movie. Jurassic Park was an awesome movie if you aren't trying to compare it to a book. Same with V. Even the Harry Potter movies have been enjoyable. Maybe I'll even read the books at some point.
That plan works pretty well, if I know something is being made into a movie I do my best not to read/re-read it until I've seen the movie. Sadly doesn't always work.

On occasion the movies are better, I mean twilight was far less painful in movie format.. though.. fuck glitter shine vampires. (I took a 12 year old for her birthday is my only justification for that thing, and I ranted at her for it.)

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

TwoBuy wrote:
I recognize the awesomeness of the first Jurassic Park. And the fact that it was adapted from a book I like is not my problem. It is the fact that the things they left out in the movie (which I completely understand and appreciate) they went ahead and put in the next two movies. Which really spoils the entire franchise for me.

TwoBuy
Clinically Casbah Rockin'

Post by TwoBuy »

Lethal Interjection wrote:I recognize the awesomeness of the first Jurassic Park. And the fact that it was adapted from a book I like is not my problem. It is the fact that the things they left out in the movie (which I completely understand and appreciate) they went ahead and put in the next two movies. Which really spoils the entire franchise for me.
The trick is to do the same thing as with The Matrix; don't consider it a series of movies. Consider it a stand-alone with sequels. Like how we don't hate Starship Troopers for #'s 2 and 3 sucking balls, but we do hate Star Wars...
Stories from 19-yo mistresses
Hey girl whats up
A drunk driver hit my blind, 12-yo sister on her way home from school. Im @ the funeral
hahaha
That wasnt a joke dick-hole
Oh
Sooooo... my gf will be out of town Wednesday. U gunna be back by then?

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

TwoBuy wrote:
Lethal Interjection wrote:I recognize the awesomeness of the first Jurassic Park. And the fact that it was adapted from a book I like is not my problem. It is the fact that the things they left out in the movie (which I completely understand and appreciate) they went ahead and put in the next two movies. Which really spoils the entire franchise for me.
The trick is to do the same thing as with The Matrix; don't consider it a series of movies. Consider it a stand-alone with sequels. Like how we don't hate Starship Troopers for #'s 2 and 3 sucking balls, but we do hate Star Wars...
You are using that example with the wrong person. I really liked the second Matrix. The third one, not so much. And there isn't source material to deal with (other than the conglomeration of religious and other philosophies).
I think my main problem is that I haven't seen the first Jurassic Park in so long.

ruotwocone
sock-puppet of the infinite

Post by ruotwocone »

AHMETxRock wrote:I notice that Cyanide and happyness made a joke on a robot that could love.
I thought SCP did the best comic ever on robot love (or maybe it's just friendship)

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

My signed copies of Dr. McNinja vol. 1&2 came in the mail today! The cool thing was that every issue came with a personalized message and a character sketch of your choice. For Vol. 2 I asked him to draw Gordito and write "Never gonna give you up! Never gonna let you down! Never gonna run around and desert you!" and he did so, but the best part was that he drew Gordito as Rick Astley. :lol: Seeing as how a signed issue is one of the few things I can't download illegally, I have to say "Money well spent" for this gift to me.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Post by AHMETxRock »

Haha, that is awesome. He went the extra mile for someone that gave him money. I don't know if I'd put that much thought into it.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Yeah it was really nice of him to do that. I'm sure he had a bunch of orders, and he went above and beyond what I expected. He definitely reaffirmed my love of his comic.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Post by AHMETxRock »

I only recently started reading his stuff, but it's got alot of thought to it.