Political Cartoons

Everything else.

Moderator: GreenCrayon

ZachWeiner
Iron Chef Texas

Political Cartoons

Post by ZachWeiner »

So, I've noticed a lot of other webcomics suddenly going political due to the recent elections (offhand, I can remember Diesel Sweeties and Joe & Monkey).

I personally don't like this.

Partially this is because (in my opinion), doing a political cartoon in a strip that is ostensibly not about politics is sort of like bringing up politics in the middle of a Thanksgiving dinner. There isn't necessarily anything necessarily wrong with your politics, but this really isn't the place for them. More than likely there are a lot of people who don't care about your politics, and even some who come to with the thought in their subconscious that political issues will specifically not be discussed.

But, I think the bigger problem is simply that the political cartoons drawn by non-politicos tend to be so damn awful. I don't have any problem with typical Joe and Monkey comics, but the last week has been insane. It's either a comic that is confusingly devoid of either a punchline or a significant action, or its something so ranting and verbose that it's hard to conceive of why he chose to do it in the form of a comic.

I dunno... what do you guys think?

Jesster
Clearly not funny

Post by Jesster »

I have no problem with jokes making fun of politics or politicians, the problem is when they use their webcomic to just kind of push their own political viewpoint, sacrificing the kind of humour you expect.
"Moloch was drawn from memory, and is aware how crappy his face looks."

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

i like things like the president toddler thing, but when it actually is about current issues i say "meh, not funny."
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

ZachWeiner
Iron Chef Texas

Post by ZachWeiner »

When I do political stuff, I try for it not to be about particular politics, and more about the nature of politics in general (if even that).

Like, to me the president toddler comic wasn't about calling the sitting president a toddler. It was just sort of a what-what-would-happen-if comic.

wolf
She-Barbarian of the North

Post by wolf »

I don't like politics or politicans so I avoid anything to do with them.
Can you hold my hand? It's a big poop

ruotwocone
sock-puppet of the infinite

Post by ruotwocone »

blah blah blah, politics, blah blah let's all talk about why political comics suck... laaaaaaame. If you're gonna talk politics, at least start a fight you jerks. On a related note, i see mountain mage has also joined the ranks of obnoxious, takes the focus away from reading the posts signature. I guess that's why he's still a mountain mage and hasn't graduated to volcano wizard yet... buuuuurn

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

I just find political cartoons dumb in general. And I follow politics. Hell, I have a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science.

Interestingly, the only political cartoons I have found mildly funny were, in fact, a webcomic. The guy was clearly based in Canadia, as the majority of the comics were on Canadian issues, but he also did stuff from around the world, showing he actually read up on worldwide politics as well. I don't recall the site, and I haven't read it in a few months.

your_face
could_shatter_a_mirror!

Post by your_face »

Lethal, I know exactly which one you're talking about. I also can't remember it. Ooops.

I liked married to the sea's politicalcartoon.
no u

ZachWeiner
Iron Chef Texas

Post by ZachWeiner »

Lethal Interjection wrote:I just find political cartoons dumb in general. And I follow politics. Hell, I have a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science.

Interestingly, the only political cartoons I have found mildly funny were, in fact, a webcomic. The guy was clearly based in Canadia, as the majority of the comics were on Canadian issues, but he also did stuff from around the world, showing he actually read up on worldwide politics as well. I don't recall the site, and I haven't read it in a few months.
http://www.filibustercartoons.com/

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Yup, thats the one.