Covers

Everything else.

Moderator: GreenCrayon

we_are_138

Post by we_are_138 »

Lethal Interjection wrote: Oh, and for funny covers, it doesn't get much better than Richard Cheese covering, well, everything.
So... You like Dick Cheese?
"Is the multitude of laughters mine alone?"

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

we_are_138 wrote:
Lethal Interjection wrote: Oh, and for funny covers, it doesn't get much better than Richard Cheese covering, well, everything.
So... You like Dick Cheese?
Covering everything? Yes, I suppose I do.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

dick cheese burgers...doesn't sound too appetizing.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Oh, I forgot about a cover of Revolution by the Beatles. Its done by Tom Freund (you've likely never heard him before) and Leon Mobley (he's the percussionist for Ben Harper, who drums out the memorable beat of Burn One Down). Well, this cover is done strictly with stand-up bass (Freund) and jimbay (I'm not sure if thats how you spell it, or if its even the right type of drum, but this was played by Mobley). I heard it when I first heard Freund in concert, opening for Harper. Loved it, and a few months ago Freund released a recording of the live version on his site. You can check it out there if you want.

TwoBuy
Clinically Casbah Rockin'

Post by TwoBuy »

Lethal Interjection wrote:Oh, I forgot about a cover of Revolution by the Beatles.
I don't see how a cover could be any good unless they completely changed the song as it sucked to begin with. I love the Beatles, but that is up there in the horrible Beatles songs category.
Stories from 19-yo mistresses
Hey girl whats up
A drunk driver hit my blind, 12-yo sister on her way home from school. Im @ the funeral
hahaha
That wasnt a joke dick-hole
Oh
Sooooo... my gf will be out of town Wednesday. U gunna be back by then?

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

TwoBuy wrote:
Lethal Interjection wrote:Oh, I forgot about a cover of Revolution by the Beatles.
I don't see how a cover could be any good unless they completely changed the song as it sucked to begin with. I love the Beatles, but that is up there in the horrible Beatles songs category.
Interesting. I love that song. While this cover didn't wholly change it, it was considerably different (I mean with only stand up bass and a portable drum, that would change any song). I do find it somewhat strange that you find that song terrible though. Its so middle-of-the-road. I know people who don't care for their more progressive, later stuff and I know people who don't care for their trite pop music stuff, but rarely do you find someone who dislikes something in between. To each their own, I suppose.

TwoBuy
Clinically Casbah Rockin'

Post by TwoBuy »

It's not an era thing its just that song. My favorite stuff is from the end of their career, but I like the pop stuff too. That song is just irritating, repetitive, etc. It's up there with Michelle and Black Bird.
Stories from 19-yo mistresses
Hey girl whats up
A drunk driver hit my blind, 12-yo sister on her way home from school. Im @ the funeral
hahaha
That wasnt a joke dick-hole
Oh
Sooooo... my gf will be out of town Wednesday. U gunna be back by then?

Lexy

Post by Lexy »

I would have to say that Chantal Kreviazuk's cover of Leaving on a Jet Plane is my absolute LEAST favourite cover tune.
Any punk bands that do classic songs, as well as rap groups that steal and ruin riffs from people like Marvin Gaye.

Oh! And I can't stand the fiona apple version of across the universe.

I'm a big fan of Matthew Good's cover of Enjoy the Silence by Depeche Mode.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Lexy wrote:I'm a big fan of Matthew Good's cover of Enjoy the Silence by Depeche Mode.
I'll have to search for that. Is it live or studio?
I do quite enjoy Tori Amos' cover of the same song. Not as poignant or different as her other covers (Losing My Religion, Smells Like Teen Spirit, '97 Bonnie And Clyde, etc.), but it is my favourite.

Jesster
Clearly not funny

Post by Jesster »

For a long time I believed that was just a Tori Amso song, and not one of her covers.

And I love Fiona Apple's cover of Across the Universe minus the long and moslty pointless musical continuation at the end of the song. I lover her voice, and pretty much always have.
"Moloch was drawn from memory, and is aware how crappy his face looks."

Lexy

Post by Lexy »

Lethal Interjection wrote:
Lexy wrote:I'm a big fan of Matthew Good's cover of Enjoy the Silence by Depeche Mode.
I'll have to search for that. Is it live or studio?
I do quite enjoy Tori Amos' cover of the same song. Not as poignant or different as her other covers (Losing My Religion, Smells Like Teen Spirit, '97 Bonnie And Clyde, etc.), but it is my favourite.
I forgot about Torio's version of '97 Bonnie and Clyde.
She creeped me out good the first time I heard that rendition.

The Matthew Good cover can be found on the Deluxe CD set of In a Coma that was released in September 2005. Originally I believe it was on a B-sides album that you can't find anywhere anymore.
He recorded it sometime around when he recorded Last of the Ghetto Astronauts which was in 1995.
The quality isn't fantastic, but the studio was probably in someone's garage.