Covers

Everything else.

Moderator: GreenCrayon

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Covers

Post by Lethal Interjection »

I've had a fascination with covers for a very long time. I have a considerably lengthy playlist on my computer of covers, from the most tripe to some really great ones.
Anyways, I'm looking to both expand that list and hear what might be some of your favourites. Also, I'm trying to breathe life into this board.

I'm currently enthralled with an interesting cover of Chris Cornell covering Billy Jean. I was linked to it Monday night, and it has since made considerable rounds on the internet, as I heard a local DJ talking about it on the radio yesterday afternoon. Here is the link if you are interested (link to the mp3 is at the bottom of the first post).

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

there is an orchestra that does covers of metallica, but I can't find a link.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

we_are_138

Post by we_are_138 »

mountainmage wrote:there is an orchestra that does covers of metallica, but I can't find a link.
I know not of an orchestra but theres always Apocalyptica they play Metallica and Sepultura (amongst some original compositions) with Cellos.

Also one of my favorite covers is "No Quarter" coverd by Tool, first recorded by Led Zeppelin.
"Is the multitude of laughters mine alone?"

epoch
lovably determined to find intertube acc

Post by epoch »

we_are_138 wrote:
mountainmage wrote:there is an orchestra that does covers of metallica, but I can't find a link.
I know not of an orchestra but theres always Apocalyptica they play Metallica and Sepultura (amongst some original compositions) with Cellos.

Also one of my favorite covers is "No Quarter" coverd by Tool, first recorded by Led Zeppelin.

there's alsoa string quartet (violins, bass,cello) that covers tool songs

I think they call themselves the "third eye ensemble" or something like that...they made 2 CD's

very cool stuff. I listen to it all the time.

Edit:

I have it on two seperate CD's, apparently they combined them into an anthology.
Last edited by epoch on Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fluid Philanderer.
Crusty wrote:Sig'ed

ruotwocone
sock-puppet of the infinite

Post by ruotwocone »

I also love covers, I find them quite usefull

Jesster
Clearly not funny

Post by Jesster »

For me, nothign will ever beat Ted Leo & The Pharmacists singing 'Since You Been Gone'.
"Moloch was drawn from memory, and is aware how crappy his face looks."

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

I see that covers aren't exactly everyones thing, so I'll make up a little list here of my favourites, and my least favourite.

Great ones...
-> Holly McNarland - In the Air Tonight (Holly McNarland is a Canadian one hit wonder, but the cover is awesome)
-> Ben Folds - Tiny Dancer (interestingly, I often liken Folds to Elton John in piano playing skill, but Folds also actually looks like a young Elton)
-> Ben Folds - Bitches Ain't Shit, Dynamite Hack - Boyz n Tha Hood, The Gourds - Gin and Juice (all three are covers of some great rap, done in a slower, comical way)
-> Ryan Adams - Wonderwall (His take is awesome. I had heard a live version of it, wanted a studio version, and while I was doing laundry and my sister was watching The OC I heard it come on in studio recording. Of the hour of total OC watching I've ever done, those few minutes were the best.)
-> Fun Lovin' Criminals - Crazy Train (they give it a fun, almost jazzy feel)
-> John Mayer - Kid A (just marvelous, one of my favourites, and his cover of Message in a Bottle is great too)
-> Radiohead - Wish You Were Here (one of my favourite songs covered by one of my favourite bands)
-> Johnny Cash - Hurt (all his covers are great, this one is head-over-shoulders the best)
-> Marilyn Manson - Golden Years (half his hits are covers, and this one is his best. Interestingly he actually does a cover of a cover, with Tainted Love, as Soft Cell themselves were covering a 60s soul singer)
-> Nick Cave - Disco 2000 (ahh, Cave's haunting voice is great)
-> Tori Amos - '97 Bonnie and Clyde (this is the most haunting song of all time, where she covers Eminem's notorious "killing his wife" song. Her cover of Enjoy the Silence is also very good)
-> Train - Ramble On (I actually like it better than the original, sacriledge, I know.)
-> Stereophonics - Fiddler's Green (I believe the Stereophonics are also Canadian, and here they are covering an obscure song by Canadian superstars the Tragically Hip. Actually, any covers by the 'phonics are great, including Angie and Don't Let Me Down)

And the worst is a horrendous cover of Tracy Chapman's Fast Car, covered by David Usher of the Canadian popular band Moist. It makes me sad every time I hear it.
The runner up for worst is when Guns N Roses covered Sympathy for The Devil and Axl just ruined it.

As you can see, I'm quite obsessed with covers.

Jesster
Clearly not funny

Post by Jesster »

I have all those covers, and enjoy them hilariously. I also liked Amos' covers of Reign In Blood and Smells Like Teen Spirit.

Also got some Gregorian Chanters singing Losing My Religion, which is fantastic.

we_are_138

Post by we_are_138 »

epoch wrote: there's alsoa string quartet (violins, bass,cello) that covers tool songs

I think they call themselves the "third eye ensemble" or something like that...they made 2 CD's
I own Metamorphic - The String Quartet Tribute to Tool Volume 2
I'll have to check out Anatomica.

Also I recently saw it on a preveiw, a cover by Gary Jules of Tears for Fears' Mad World, its funny it goes really well with Gears of War but its softer than hell*

*Which happens to be smoother than shit
"Is the multitude of laughters mine alone?"

epoch
lovably determined to find intertube acc

Post by epoch »

we_are_138 wrote: I own Metamorphic - The String Quartet Tribute to Tool Volume 2

Also I recently saw it on a preveiw, a cover by Gary Jules of Tears for Fears' Mad World, its funny it goes really well with Gears of War but its softer than hell*

the Gary Jules cover was originally done for the movie Donnie Darko.
Fluid Philanderer.
Crusty wrote:Sig'ed

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

epoch wrote:
we_are_138 wrote: I own Metamorphic - The String Quartet Tribute to Tool Volume 2

the Gary Jules cover was originally done for the movie Donnie Darko.
Ah yes, I forgot about that one. Good stuff, that. Both the movie and the song.

Jesster
Clearly not funny

Post by Jesster »

I knew I had heard it somewhere befor ethat advert!

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Jesster wrote:For me, nothign will ever beat Ted Leo & The Pharmacists singing 'Since You Been Gone'.
Wait, is that a cover of that Weird Al song from the Bad Hair Day album?

Jesster
Clearly not funny

Post by Jesster »

No, it is a cover of Kelly Clarkson's hit single.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Jesster wrote:No, it is a cover of Kelly Clarkson's hit single.
I probably should have known that. Weird Al does have a song that is either called that, or its just the repeated line in the song.
Travis' cover of Hit Me Baby One More Time would probably be comparable, and it is both good and funny.

Oh, and for funny covers, it doesn't get much better than Richard Cheese covering, well, everything.