Mystery of the Missing...Crayon

Everything else.

Moderator: GreenCrayon

User avatar
TwoBuy
Clinically Casbah Rockin'
Posts: 2172
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:15 am
Location: Pimpin' (It's a location if you're doing it right)
Contact:

Post by TwoBuy »

I'm going to disagree with some of this differentiating. Will and Grace and MASH are perfect examples of Sitcoms. Something where the situation is supposed to be funny. (IE a woman living with a gay man, doctors in a war who tell jokes).
Stories from 19-yo mistresses
Hey girl whats up
A drunk driver hit my blind, 12-yo sister on her way home from school. Im @ the funeral
hahaha
That wasnt a joke dick-hole
Oh
Sooooo... my gf will be out of town Wednesday. U gunna be back by then?

User avatar
Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution
Posts: 8051
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:17 pm
Location: Behind your ear. It's magic!
Contact:

Post by Lethal Interjection »

TwoBuy wrote:I'm going to disagree with some of this differentiating. Will and Grace and MASH are perfect examples of Sitcoms. Something where the situation is supposed to be funny. (IE a woman living with a gay man, doctors in a war who tell jokes).
Yes, those situations are funny. However, MASH continues to be funny (but that may be only because I identify with Hawkeye's sarcasm) while I feel like only a couple of episodes of Will and Grace have me grabbing my head in pain because they have been beating me over the head with that situation.
Anyways, I disagree with "sitcom" as all-encompassing because I don't feel like it covers all the bases (at least using the phrase that it abbreviates). You know what, I take back putting Will and Grace under character comedy. I don't know what I was thinking. However, I feel like MASH could fit under both (which, again, may be attributed to Hawkeye's hilariousness).

Lexy
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:33 am

Post by Lexy »

Lethal Interjection wrote:
Lexy wrote: I agree with everything said here, save the Friends bit.
What part about Friends did you disagree with? That it was good, that it wasn't innovative, or what? The stock plots or the stock characters?

Personally I can only tolerate Friends. I will watch and sometimes enjoy it, but I neither actively search for it nor do I change the channel when it is on (like Everybody Loves Raymond).
I just didn't like it. So I guess I disagree that it was good.

User avatar
mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains
Posts: 9601
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 11:42 am
Location: Right here. Right now.

Post by mountainmage »

i watch mash daily on the hallmark channel. i still have no idea why a greeting-card company has a T.V. station.

Also, you can't even compare british to american comedy. asking me to compare monty python and say, lewis black or dane cook is blasphemy. i like all equally for their own styles.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

your_face
could_shatter_a_mirror!
Posts: 592
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:26 pm
Location: Angle-Land

Post by your_face »

You have a very good point.

I find English humour is funny because it's weird. I cite Monty Python, Reeves and Mortimer, Harry Hill and Little Britain as evidence of this.

Other fine viewing includes The League of Gentlemen. You may find it to be slightly terrifying.
no u

User avatar
TwoBuy
Clinically Casbah Rockin'
Posts: 2172
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:15 am
Location: Pimpin' (It's a location if you're doing it right)
Contact:

Post by TwoBuy »

your_face wrote:I find English humour is funny because it's weird.
Not sure I agree with this entirely either. "Kids in the Hall" and my favorite sketch show "Upright Citizens' Brigade" are both weirder and funnier than MP and they are Canadian and American respectively.
Stories from 19-yo mistresses
Hey girl whats up
A drunk driver hit my blind, 12-yo sister on her way home from school. Im @ the funeral
hahaha
That wasnt a joke dick-hole
Oh
Sooooo... my gf will be out of town Wednesday. U gunna be back by then?

your_face
could_shatter_a_mirror!
Posts: 592
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:26 pm
Location: Angle-Land

Post by your_face »

Monty Python is classic british humour. It is in no way the weirdest or the funniest.
league of gentlemen's papa lazarou
no u

User avatar
we_are_138
Moderator
Posts: 642
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:48 am
Location: Location, Location.

Post by we_are_138 »

What was the name of that Comedian with long curly hair he has a dull voice, never laughs at his own jokes, does lots of one liners, he was on Comedy Central a couple weeks ago I think he was one of the "Freinds of Bob and Tom"?

Anyway hes eff n' Hell-arious.

[Edit]

It was Steven Wright.

I stayed up all night playing poker with tarot cards.
I got a full house and four people died.
-- Steven Wright

When I turned two I was really anxious, because I'd doubled my age in a year.
I thought, if this keeps up, by the time I'm six I'll be ninety.
-- Steven Wright
"Is the multitude of laughters mine alone?"

User avatar
mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains
Posts: 9601
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 11:42 am
Location: Right here. Right now.

Post by mountainmage »

the king of the one-liners is, and always will be, mitch hedburg.

rest in peace!

"I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it."
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

User avatar
Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution
Posts: 8051
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:17 pm
Location: Behind your ear. It's magic!
Contact:

Post by Lethal Interjection »

mountainmage wrote:the king of the one-liners is, and always will be, mitch hedburg.

rest in peace!

"I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it."
Yeah, at first glance I thought he was talking about Mitch Hedberg. Though his hair wasn't curly.

I never cared for Mitch though. I think it was mostly that his delivery was too awkward for me.

your_face
could_shatter_a_mirror!
Posts: 592
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:26 pm
Location: Angle-Land

Post by your_face »

and Steven Wright isn't dead.
no u

Lexy
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:33 am

Post by Lexy »

I once tried to commit suicide by jumping off a building. I changed my mind at the last minute, so I just flipped over and landed on my feet. Two little kittens nearby saw what happened and one turned to the other and said, "See, that's how it's done."

your_face
could_shatter_a_mirror!
Posts: 592
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:26 pm
Location: Angle-Land

Post by your_face »

Heh, I thought you were being serious at first glance.

I saw Trevor Lock/Locke/Loch, a semi-unknown comedian, do stand-up a while ago. High-larious.

I bumped into an ex-girlfriend of mine yesterday. She said "Is that a gun in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?".
I said yes to both and shot her.
no u

User avatar
Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution
Posts: 8051
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:17 pm
Location: Behind your ear. It's magic!
Contact:

Post by Lethal Interjection »

If we are talking stand-up comedians, nothing gets better for me than Brian Regan. The man is hilarious, and his comedy is actually quite clean (fine for the kiddies). I've been a huge fan for a decade and some.
What was funny was that a couple of years ago I was having a conversation with a friend and threw a line in from his stuff (completely subconciously, I didn't even know that I had said it, as I had already been listening to him for about 7 years) and another friend identified it. Eventually me and him ended up introducing him to about a dozen of my other friends, and they are all quoting it now.

Lexy
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:33 am

Post by Lexy »

The thing about the kittens is my fave Steven Wright one ever.

I'm a big George Carlin fan... but if you guys haven't heard of Russell Peters, look him up. Hilarious.



Hey, btw-
I gave birth on Tuesday.

Post Reply