Might I introduce myself?

Everything else.

Moderator: GreenCrayon

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

epoch wrote:what forum?

just curious.
The View Askew Message Board. Its for fans of Kevin Smith, though the place isn't only about Kevin, not by any stretch. Kevin himself posts semi-regularly and does the occasional question/answer about his life/movies/etc. If I hadn't grown tired of the community I'd probably be close to 6000 posts, I'm actually at a bit over 4000 and Smith is over 3600 (this is since a board reformating in May'04) just to give you an idea of how often he's there.

epoch
lovably determined to find intertube acc

Post by epoch »

Lethal Interjection wrote:
epoch wrote:what forum?

just curious.
The View Askew Message Board. Its for fans of Kevin Smith, though the place isn't only about Kevin, not by any stretch. Kevin himself posts semi-regularly and does the occasional question/answer about his life/movies/etc. If I hadn't grown tired of the community I'd probably be close to 6000 posts, I'm actually at a bit over 4000 and Smith is over 3600 (this is since a board reformating in May'04) just to give you an idea of how often he's there.
hmmm...interesting.
Fluid Philanderer.
Crusty wrote:Sig'ed

GreenCrayon
Traditional Iconoclast

Post by GreenCrayon »

Lethal Interjection wrote:I doubt that. I would say this thread is a bit of an anomaly as of late. Several posters posting several times. This place has been rather dead lately.
That's a dire prediction, and a self-fulfilling prophecy if ever I saw one.

I don't think it's as bad as you're saying, Lethal. While there has been a drop-off in posts as of late, a good variety of people are contributing a post of two when there's something worth posting about. That's the key here. As long as there's discussion, a topic, some nonsense to contribute to, whatever, the fact that people are coming back to check means there's still lifeblood flowing through the forum.

We don't have any "group activities" at the moment, the last one failing because I disappeared, so there's not much to discuss, but I'm thinking of a few things that won't be ruined if I have to disappear again that might bring people out of the woodwork again.
Lefal Innerjekshuns wrote:So unless you are used to 2 people in a forum (and they already have a name for that, they are messenger services), then this one is probably about the same size (don't let the number of posters on this forum fool you, most are spambots, and the rest don't post or are incarnations of other posters).
Some are lapsed posters, too. Some are people from way back, others are people that thought they might enjoy it here but were turned away by the increasing tendency towards cliquey behaviour. I think it might be worthwhile if we were a little less harsh on some of the newcomers, as I'm sure some of them are pushed away by offhand cruelty before they realise it's "just our way". Or maybe those who do the pushing are insecure about the latest Tucker and Hawhaw showing up and changing the feel of their preciously regarded forum, which is understandable, but just part of the unpredictable nature of anything accessible to anyone in the world with an internet connection.
Leaf Al Internal Rejection wrote:Now don't let this steer you off. Welcome, and I hope you stick around. I just had some qualms with your internet sociology and such. Also, cats are the worst thing that have happened to the internet. Every "clever" cat picture makes me want to hunt down all fwders with a rusty machete.
I don't mind the cats, but the fwders deserve little more than a rusty spoon*.

* A "rusty spoon" is the technique old people use to cuddle.
Pirate.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

GreenCrayon wrote:I don't think it's as bad as you're saying, Lethal. While there has been a drop-off in posts as of late, a good variety of people are contributing a post of two when there's something worth posting about. That's the key here. As long as there's discussion, a topic, some nonsense to contribute to, whatever, the fact that people are coming back to check means there's still lifeblood flowing through the forum.
Actually, thats a good point. We do have more people checking and posting than we have in a while, despite that there is less posting in general. The numbers of returning posters is actually higher than it has been in quite some time (perhaps since I first arrived...).

epoch
lovably determined to find intertube acc

Post by epoch »

Lethal Interjection wrote:
GreenCrayon wrote:I don't think it's as bad as you're saying, Lethal. While there has been a drop-off in posts as of late, a good variety of people are contributing a post of two when there's something worth posting about. That's the key here. As long as there's discussion, a topic, some nonsense to contribute to, whatever, the fact that people are coming back to check means there's still lifeblood flowing through the forum.
Actually, thats a good point. We do have more people checking and posting than we have in a while, despite that there is less posting in general. The numbers of returning posters is actually higher than it has been in quite some time (perhaps since I first arrived...).
yeah, the forums are going strong, we just don't always have a lot to talk about.

besides I'm pretty sure none of you want to go back to the bad old days of epoch posting a meaningless crap thread everyday.

even I can see that this would be a bad idea
Fluid Philanderer.
Crusty wrote:Sig'ed

TwoBuy
Clinically Casbah Rockin'

Post by TwoBuy »

GreenCrayon wrote:* A "rusty spoon" is the technique old people use to cuddle.
I hate you more than your wife does*.

Additionally, I find the hazing of new blood to be a necessary evil. Look at what happened with that girl who joined recently. She had that kid and then, BAM, disappeared. And you know why? Cause we didn't haze her when she joined. It's like our way of making people pay $5 to post without actually charging money.

Imagine if street gangs let people in without getting jumped first. They'd join, shoot a couple people, and then you'd never here from them again.

*Zing
Stories from 19-yo mistresses
Hey girl whats up
A drunk driver hit my blind, 12-yo sister on her way home from school. Im @ the funeral
hahaha
That wasnt a joke dick-hole
Oh
Sooooo... my gf will be out of town Wednesday. U gunna be back by then?

GreenCrayon
Traditional Iconoclast

Post by GreenCrayon »

TwoBuy wrote:Look at what happened with that girl who joined recently. She had that kid and then, BAM, disappeared. And you know why? Cause we didn't haze her when she joined.
Lexy, you mean? Nah, that was just 'cos it was me, posting under a different name*.

I see your point, but when we all jump on new blood with varying levels of bile, can you see how it might appear as though there's no point in them returning?

It does make for interesting posters, though. Everyone who was a newb seems to retain an element of "lowest dog".

* Not really.
Pirate.

TwoBuy

Post by TwoBuy »

GreenCrayon wrote:It does make for interesting posters, though. Everyone who was a newb seems to retain an element of "lowest dog".
Except for the rare ones who beat us at our own game. But theyget promoted quickly.
Hey girl whats up
A drunk driver hit my blind, 12-yo sister on her way home from school. Im @ the funeral
hahaha
Oh

ruotwocone
sock-puppet of the infinite

Post by ruotwocone »

wait, when did we start liking your_face?

TwoBuy

Post by TwoBuy »

ruotwocone wrote:wait, when did we start liking your_face?
When zach made him mod of the outlands over you.
Hey girl whats up
hahaha
Oh

ruotwocone
sock-puppet of the infinite

Post by ruotwocone »

TwoBuy wrote:
ruotwocone wrote:wait, when did we start liking your_face?
When zach made him mod of the outlands over you.
i thought that's cuz he was posting non-stop at that point. stupid no friends.

Crusty
[Insert Here]

Post by Crusty »

your_face skipped right over me, too

It might've been because I don't post all that much, but I joined a good month before him and still don't get much respect

I like the hazing of the newbies--anyone remember Aez? that guy didn't make it past his introduction post

I was moderately hazed when I was a newbie, but not much
I am the Illegitemate Father of Genetics
mountainmage wrote: anchorman was good, but you really need to see "The Grammar Police vs. Shut The Hell Up"

GreenCrayon
Traditional Iconoclast

Post by GreenCrayon »

Crusty wrote:I was moderately hazed when I was a newbie, but not much
Is it too late to try again?
Pirate.

Cheaper Name than Yours

Post by Cheaper Name than Yours »

"It's never too late for anything... 'Except for getting a life', it's always too late for that.... Whatever 'that' is."

your_face
could_shatter_a_mirror!

Post by your_face »

My conclusion is that approximately 83% of this entire thread is TL;DR.
I am Ubermensch of the Outlands for a reason. Because I am British (therefore funny* and because I am a teenager**.
I want to change The Outlands to "Your_face's Funworld: where fun + world = worldfun."
Sadly, I don't have that power. I don't have many powers, really.

2 references, both quite British in nature.

first person to spot them wins every post they have ever posted in the Outlands changed to say nothing but variations on "lol", "rotfl", "lmao", "rotflmao", et cetera, ad hominem, ad nauseum, ad hoc, ad_am.

LOLILOLILOLILOLILOLILOLILOLILOLILOLILOLILOLILOLILOLILOLILOLILOLILOLILOLILOLILOLILOLILOLILOLILOLILOLILOLILOLILOLILOLILOLILOLILOLILOLILOLILOLILOLILOLILOLILOLILOLILOLILOLILOLILOLILOLILOLILOLI

* monty python, fish and chips, tea, rum, The Queen, etc
**therefore moody, hormonal, and above all things*** A REBEL****
*** NOT LOVE! NO, EWAN MACGREGOR!
****and a membar of teh rebal elliunce! lolilol darth vadar, luuke skiwalkar.*****
*****asterisks ftw.
no u