Question aboot Sketchbattle.

Everything else.

Moderator: GreenCrayon

TimCo

Question aboot Sketchbattle.

Post by TimCo »

It's been at least a year since I checked the site, and now I see it's down. I know Zach either was or still is a main benefactor of the site. I just wondered, is it down for good, or is this a temporary downtime?
I'm older, the world is a little smaller, and Final Fantasy 8 still sucks.

BlueCladVagrant

Sketchwar

Post by BlueCladVagrant »

Interestingly enough, the Sketchwar domain remained up for a while even after Sketchbattle went down. Apparently, it died, too, although in a seemingly different way than Sketchbattle.

What other domains did Sambro get for that place? I think their shop had its own domain, too (for some reason). Sketchstuff.com doesn't bring up anything, tho', just like Sketchbattle.com.

Lemme see if I can fill you in on what happened there in the last year...
Actually established web comic artists came by and started competing instead of just the forum-going dregs who either didn't own a web comic (or at least a funny one, anyway).
Said dregs started to become angry that all this slightly more popular names were swooping in and getting the votes from their own biased fans as well as biased <i>non</i>-fans who simply voted for the newcomers comics since they did not rely on terribly inside jokes or "deano iz mexicna lolz" for the umpteenth time.
The Sketchladder is gone, forum battles came back swingin' for a while, but then relatively died again.
General and slow descent into confusion and lower activity, and then the domain disappeared.

Think that about covers it. I did only popped in every other month or so.
"A man with wings can do anything, but a man with a rocket can do everything!" - Vulture, 60's Spidey Cartoon

ZachWeiner
Iron Chef Texas

Post by ZachWeiner »

Heya,

I used to partially own sketchbattle, but gave my half to Flamingkinkos when it became clear that I didn't have time to help out in anyway. I haven't really checked in much since the one time I competed.

TimCo

Post by TimCo »

Wow. I can't believe that a site such as Sketchbattle just died like that. That's pretty scary, actually. I used to visit the site every day back in the days of JellyCreations and was actually thinking of participating for a while.

That really sucks, though based on what you said, it was to be expected.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

final fantasy 8 was awesome :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

TimCo

Post by TimCo »

GUN+BLADE=/=AWESOME.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

don't make me lionheart you! i have str+60% junctioned :evil:
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Interestingly, my roomate is playing FF8 right now.

TwoBuy
Clinically Casbah Rockin'

Post by TwoBuy »

Lethal Interjection wrote:Interestingly
Nope.
Stories from 19-yo mistresses
Hey girl whats up
A drunk driver hit my blind, 12-yo sister on her way home from school. Im @ the funeral
hahaha
That wasnt a joke dick-hole
Oh
Sooooo... my gf will be out of town Wednesday. U gunna be back by then?

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

TwoBuy wrote:Nope.
That's fair. I'm not really all that interested either. Perhaps "coincidentally" might've been more accurate.

hlavco

Post by hlavco »

Hiya! I joined Sketchbattle in November of '06. Here's the best I can tell you...

In March or April, Kinkos sold the site to Malik Dahl and Catter Kyatta. They ran it for a few months. In the summer, the hosting expired. Malik tried to renew the hosting, but the Sketchbattle.com domain name was still the property of one of the previous owners. Malik spent a few weeks trying to get in touch with him, but as Malik was in eastern Canadia and the other guy was in Australia or some place like that, it was tricky to make contact, especially since both were pretty busy.

A few weeks later, Malik got sick with something. I never found out what it was, but from what I've heard it was actually pretty serious. He left, and I haven't seen him on the internet since. At this time Sketchbattle had already been down for a few weeks.

Since Malik couldn't renew the hosting or gain the rights to the site name, there wasn't much Catter could do either. So he kinda moved on to other things. With his permission I threw together this temporary replacement forum. It doesn't have many features, but it's really just to try to hold the community together until somebody gets this Sketchbattle thing figured out. At the rate things are going, I'm really not sure how "temporary" this setup is going to be.

In short: Sketchbattle is almost, but not completely, dead.
Last edited by hlavco on Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

like george bush's presidency?

ruotwocone
sock-puppet of the infinite

Post by ruotwocone »

mountainmage wrote:like george bush's presidency?
that's just a myth. you're confusing extremely unpopular with almost dead. he just recently got :][>:=~+: congress (hate. congress. so. much. right. now.) to put the next 1000 years of americans in debt so that we can get shot at instead of, i don't know, supply our country with universal health care 5 times over or send a man to mars 100 times. That doesn't say almost dead to me, more like "it should be dead considering how much everyone hates him, how congress is democratic, and how he's removed no fewer than 7 of the 10 first amendments to the constitution, but somehow people keep doing what he tells them to" duh

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

well thanks for the lengthy explanation, but I was referring to the fact that he is a lame duck.