I just spent $900 at the Pet ER to save my cat's life.

Everything else.

Moderator: GreenCrayon

Would you spend nearly a grand to save your beloved pet's life?

Yes.
50%
No.
50%

Total votes: 6

GirlsDontDoThat
YesTheyDo

I just spent $900 at the Pet ER to save my cat's life.

Post by GirlsDontDoThat »

So I found this cat a couple of weeks ago. He was probably just under 2 months, skinny, had fleas, and worms, but it was love, man. I mean love. I took him home to my fiancee and we decided to keep the cat. We named him Dingus.

Dingus continued to get sicker, we got rid of the fleas, but the worms got worse. We made an appointment at the local vet for the next afternoon. He became hypoglycemic that night, couldn't control his bowels and was just falling over himself trying to stand. He was definitely going to die if we didn't take him to the pet er. So we got into the car and went.

$900 dollars later he's home and seems about the same. Just wet and smells like a cold buttered lobster.

Fuckin' cats.
"Everyone needs a good uncle. I can be your uncle."

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

(pet insurance is handy)
(also, dogs>cats :P )
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

GirlsDontDoThat
YesTheyDo

mountainmage wrote:(pet insurance is handy)
What's next? Pet trust funds?

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Under most circumstances I wouldn't. I mean, I loved my dog, but I completely understood my parents decision to put him down when he got sick (thyroid cancer or somesuch).
The circumstances were actually ideal at the time. I was home for that Easter, and he seemed a bit sick. Over the next week he stayed sick, so my parents took him in to the vet, he was diagnosed, and they called me up and said they needed to put him down (no real suffering, which was nice). Sad, but I was okay with it. All I asked is that they bring him down (I lived about an hour away), and he was well enough that they did. Combined with the recent weekend, I really got a chance to say goodbye, so to speak.
It is still strange, though, going home without a dog to greet me. He died right before I moved out of the house, so I wouldn't be around much anymore, and I never got used to the house without the dog.
Wrestling with him was lots of fun. He'd charge around, and I'd push him around, and he'd bite my arms (without any pressure, so only occasionaly did he draw blood, when I pulled the wrong way or something similar). Any time he did hurt me, he'd look all guilty and apologetic, too.
Anyways, this sounds more sentimental than it really is. I miss him, but it hasn't ever come to tears or anything, not even at the time.

I do have inclinations of getting another one when time and space allow (more appropriate housing, and a job where I can afford and aren't working strange hours), but I don't see that for a while. I'd love a border collie mix. My uncle has had two. One was a collie/spaniel, which was the first dog that I ever liked (I was partially afraid as a kid) and was very even tempered, even relaxed, and smart. Their most recent one is a collie/german shepherd. Gorgeous dog, smart, and just really easy to get along with. Both have remembered me, which is so cool, as I only am there a couple of times a year. But they always know I'm a visitor who will actually give them the attention they want. They are a nice size too (Rebel was a rather large shepherd/bouvier mix which was larger than I'd go to again, and I hate little yappy dogs).

Well, another long diatribe. Sorry.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

GirlsDontDoThat wrote:
mountainmage wrote:(pet insurance is handy)
What's next? Pet trust funds?
I'm sure they exist.
I would never get pet insurance unless the pet was worth that much money (and I mean actual $$, not sentimental).
I mean, my extended family is or was farmers, and have gone through dogs. I guess that is just built in to me. Pets are great companions, but they are expendable, so to speak.

TwoBuy
Clinically Casbah Rockin'

Post by TwoBuy »

Lethal Interjection wrote:I would never get pet insurance unless the pet was worth that much money (and I mean actual $$, not sentimental).
I had/have two cats (one lives on my mother-in-law's farm now) and bought health insurance for both of them for their first year. Both times it was totally worth it. I was paying $20 a month per cat, but got them spade for free, and all the vet visits were free, and the meds cost 50%. We calculated it out and we saved ~$250 per cat that first year. After the first year we canceled the insurance betting cats don't need a lot of help after 12 months, and we were right. Haven't had to bring either to a vet since.
Stories from 19-yo mistresses
Hey girl whats up
A drunk driver hit my blind, 12-yo sister on her way home from school. Im @ the funeral
hahaha
That wasnt a joke dick-hole
Oh
Sooooo... my gf will be out of town Wednesday. U gunna be back by then?

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

The voice of reason* speaks up! my 3 dogs are also insured...it saves a lot of money on my car...i mean vet bills.

*well, twobuy anyways
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

wolf
She-Barbarian of the North

Post by wolf »

I once spent $100 because my rat ripped out his toe nail. I might not drop a grand on my rats (please don't tell them that) but I would for a dog or cat. I couldn't justify spending a grand for a pet that lives 3 years when that money could buy a new rat and a lot of weed to stop the emotional pain

oh and mountainmage rats>dogs and cats combined.
Can you hold my hand? It's a big poop

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

My dogs would curb-stomp your rat.

TwoBuy
Clinically Casbah Rockin'

Post by TwoBuy »

mountainmage wrote:My dogs would curb-stomp your rat.
HAHAHA. Oh man I love/loathe you. "Now say goodnight"
Stories from 19-yo mistresses
Hey girl whats up
A drunk driver hit my blind, 12-yo sister on her way home from school. Im @ the funeral
hahaha
That wasnt a joke dick-hole
Oh
Sooooo... my gf will be out of town Wednesday. U gunna be back by then?

GirlsDontDoThat
YesTheyDo

wolf wrote:I once spent $100 because my rat ripped out his toe nail. I might not drop a grand on my rats (please don't tell them that) but I would for a dog or cat. I couldn't justify spending a grand for a pet that lives 3 years when that money could buy a new rat and a lot of weed to stop the emotional pain

oh and mountainmage rats>dogs and cats combined.
I used to have rats! (After killing 8 hamsters in less than a month, my dad thought I needed a more sturdy pet) They're cool animals. I had one who got so big he was freerange most of the time and ran around with the cats.

wolf
She-Barbarian of the North

Post by wolf »

Mayhaps. But do your dogs have a an angry dyke mother that will kick anyone's ass that try to harm them? I've fought one drunk person to protect my guys I'm sure I could beat up your dogs.
Can you hold my hand? It's a big poop

GirlsDontDoThat
YesTheyDo

wolf wrote:
Mayhaps. But do your dogs have a an angry dyke mother that will kick anyone's ass that try to harm them? I've fought one drunk rson to protect my guys I'm sure I could beat up your dogs.
I fought a drunk dude to save my kitten! Dude was playing Dingus like a violin. Squeezing him to make his meow change tempo and octave.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Well, an angry mother...but she's not a dyke (otherwise her whole life has been a lie!)