Christmas Cheer

Everything else.

Moderator: GreenCrayon

Asherian
Token Erisian

Re: Christmas Cheer

Post by Asherian »

Especially in causal chatting I am one to typo quite a lot. There are a lot of great words that are sadly falling out of use people give you funny looks on. Penultimate is another favorite of mine. Exoteric just has the most flair considering its meaning.

"Esoteric is a very exoteric word, yet exoteric is highly esoteric."
As pure as the driven snow. Bitches

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Asherian wrote:Especially in causal chatting I am one to typo quite a lot. There are a lot of great words that are sadly falling out of use people give you funny looks on. Penultimate is another favorite of mine. Exoteric just has the most flair considering its meaning.

"Esoteric is a very exoteric word, yet exoteric is highly esoteric."
I've heard penultimate used incorrectly far too many times to actually enjoy it. It is so often used in the sense of "ultimate". Just because it sounds cooler, I'd gather.
One of my favourite words is masturbatory. It does mean just what you'd think, but it also means "self-aggrandizing". Of course the problem is that there is plenty of company that you can't use that phrase in.
Me and a guy from work rather enjoy making up new words. For example:
Pandelirium - combination of pandemonium and delirium, meaning a panicked, frenzied uproar. We use it at work when a manager tries to throw far too many people at a job, none of whom actually know what they are doing, but, dammit, they better get it done fast. (Google says that there is also a band called such, though this is the first I've heard of it).
Belignorance - combination of belligerence and ignorance, meaning someone who is combatively ignorant. This is the type of person who gets on the defensive about something, but aren't able to respond to negative questions or needling, and they continually attempt to save face, only to continue to downward spiral getting angry and more defensive (and even hostile). An example might be most Jehovah's Witnesses or Mormons, or really anyone who is evangelical but has never taken the time to actually learn.

Asherian
Token Erisian

Post by Asherian »

Lethal Interjection wrote: I've heard penultimate used incorrectly far too many times to actually enjoy it. It is so often used in the sense of "ultimate". Just because it sounds cooler, I'd gather.
One of my favourite words is masturbatory. It does mean just what you'd think, but it also means "self-aggrandizing". Of course the problem is that there is plenty of company that you can't use that phrase in.
Me and a guy from work rather enjoy making up new words. For example:
Pandelirium - combination of pandemonium and delirium, meaning a panicked, frenzied uproar. We use it at work when a manager tries to throw far too many people at a job, none of whom actually know what they are doing, but, dammit, they better get it done fast. (Google says that there is also a band called such, though this is the first I've heard of it).
Belignorance - combination of belligerence and ignorance, meaning someone who is combatively ignorant. This is the type of person who gets on the defensive about something, but aren't able to respond to negative questions or needling, and they continually attempt to save face, only to continue to downward spiral getting angry and more defensive (and even hostile). An example might be most Jehovah's Witnesses or Mormons, or really anyone who is evangelical but has never taken the time to actually learn.
Most mormons I've known wouldn't be belignorance on talking religion unless something else has them stirred up. I enjoy making up words, though my attempts tend to be more.. profanic? I delight far more in using old words that have just gone out of style, though a good sprinkling of both is best for random conversation!

I've been getting scolded at work mostly for the language thing, anything my boss has to look up isn't allowed in email format, nor should it be located on any of the many reports I handle. Examples of this have been Kobold(it ate my work), Penultimate, ectra. I work with far to many esl people is what I blame it on, though a lot refuse to comment cause they think they Should know the word so just roll with it.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

I forgot about defenestrate. Doesn't come up much in conversation though.

Asherian
Token Erisian

Post by Asherian »

hehe, it is classy thou! Mastication, that ones great to talk about in public.. but its gotten 'popular' last 4-5 years. (I've been masticating way longer then its been cool.)

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Those jokes in middle school will never get old.
"Hey! Stop masticating your weenis!"

Although the latter is not a word, but slang. Plus I don't think anyone COULD masticate their weenis unless their arm had been cut off or something.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

Asherian wrote:"Esoteric is a very exoteric word, yet exoteric is highly esoteric."
This is the exact phrasing that I use when I explain that exoteric is indeed a real word. Where are you from, to have such an incredibly coincidental phrasing?
Lethal Interjection wrote:Pandelirium - combination of pandemonium and delirium, meaning a panicked, frenzied uproar. We use it at work when a manager tries to throw far too many people at a job, none of whom actually know what they are doing, but, dammit, they better get it done fast. (Google says that there is also a band called such, though this is the first I've heard of it).
Google also says that it was coined by some comedian named Jeff Foxworthy. Personally, I would have seen it as the addition of the pan- prefix to delirium, making it a delirium that strikes everybody. End result is basically the same, though.
Death by Elocution wrote:Belignorance - combination of belligerence and ignorance, meaning someone who is combatively ignorant. This is the type of person who gets on the defensive about something, but aren't able to respond to negative questions or needling, and they continually attempt to save face, only to continue to downward spiral getting angry and more defensive (and even hostile). An example might be Ahmet on a bad day.
Fixed that for you, no need to thank me.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

cheez.wiz
Human-based Product

Post by cheez.wiz »

Edminster wrote:Fixed that for you, no need to thank me.
You win my first ever post of the day.
bird bird bird, bird is a word, b-b-b-b-bird oh yeah bird is a word, bird bird bird

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

cheez.wiz wrote:
Edminster wrote:Fixed that for you, no need to thank me.
I thought about that. I also like that you put my subtitle as the second quote. It threw me though, since there is no one here by that name.

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

Lethal Interjection wrote:I also like that you put my subtitle as the second quote. It threw me though, since there is no one here by that name.
It's those little personal touches that let you know that I care.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Can I have a high-brow version of my name as well, Ed?
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Post by AHMETxRock »

I'd like a unibrow version.
Just like an std, will never fully go away.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

mountainmage wrote:Can I have a high-brow version of my name as well, Ed?
High-brow? I mean it is pretty much just a synonym of my name that I happen to have on my blog's subtitle/description thing (which I don't update but the link is still below), which is where I assume he got it.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Well that's what I meant, fancier synonyms for the words that comprise my name. If he didn't make it himself, then that makes me sad. :cry:

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

It is indeed where I got it. I'm not a terribly creative person, but I try and learn about people, and I do prefer death by elocution. So, I can't come up with a highbrow version of your name, Mage.
Sierra Shaman wrote:I meant, fancier synonyms for the words that comprise my name.
Oh. Well, in that case here you go.
La Perrita Ciega wrote:I'd like a unibrow version.
Done.
Last edited by Edminster on Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gödel stop spreading fud