Broken bones

Everything else.

Moderator: GreenCrayon

Asherian
Token Erisian

Broken bones

Post by Asherian »

So are broken toes actually something to care about? I'm getting really mixed reports.

.. and I'd rather avoid the doctors if I can get away with it. It only hurts to walk if I use the front half of my foot. So long as I angle to the side its fine!
As pure as the driven snow. Bitches

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Re: Broken bones

Post by mountainmage »

Quoted from a website:
The injured toe should be looked at every day. Call a doctor if any of the following occur:

* Worsening or new pain not relieved by pain medication and the measures described in the treatment section.

* Sores, redness, or open wounds near the injured toe

* A cast or splint is damaged or broken

Go to a hospital's emergency department if the following signs or symptoms are present:

* Cold, numb, or tingling toes

* Blue or gray colored skin

* Open wounds, bleeding, or drainage near the broken toe
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

wolf
She-Barbarian of the North

Post by wolf »

I'm a Canadian so when something happens that makes me say "I don't usually bleed from my ears," or "Is my foot suppose to be at this angle?" I go to the doctor. Also, I really don't know how sound medical advice is from us. I mean come on, we all read SMBC, its not like we are the pinnacle of intelligence. Or at least not medical stuff.

Having said that, it all depends on how severe and the location of the break. Some may have to be put back in place then splintered/cast.
Broken Toe Treatment
Self-Care at Home
These following things can be done at home to help decrease the pain and swelling, and help the fracture heal properly.
* Elevation
o Swelling that occurs after the injury worsens pain.
o To decrease swelling (and pain), keep the foot raised above the level of the heart as much as possible.
o Prop the foot up on some pillows, especially when sleeping. Reclining in a lounge chair is also helpful.
* Ice
o Put ice in a plastic bag and apply it to the injury for 15-20 minutes every 1-2 hours for the first 1-2 days. Frozen peas or corn may be used in place of ice.
o Place a towel between the skin and the bag of ice or frozen peas or corn to protect the skin.
* Rest
o Avoid strenuous exercise, prolonged standing, or walking.
o Crutches may be needed, or a special shoe to wear when walking to avoid putting weight on the fracture while it heals.
Source: http://www.emedicinehealth.com/broken_t ... 0at%20Home
Can you hold my hand? It's a big poop

AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Post by AHMETxRock »

It really is best to get that checked out. You are constantly using your feet to walk and stuff. Don't underestimate how important it is to you.
Just like an std, will never fully go away.

Asherian
Token Erisian

Post by Asherian »

Huh, Honestly I was asking in a mostly hypothetical sense, unless it gets a lot worse the current discoloration/stabbing pain whenever it moves I'm probably not going to bother.

I've broken toes way to often, this is er.. my 5th? Its not even a big toe so I can do what the doctor would do pretty easily(tape it to the one next to it.) I was just hoping to lure out other people as accident prone as me to talk about their own hideous foot 'adventures'. Honestly unless its severely misaligned, a big toe, or blackening I wouldn't bother with the doctors. Unless of course your desperate to get out of work or for pain medication. In which case its the way to go! Well.. okay pissing blood actually tends to get me better results in both, or bleeding randomly from the ear, thou that one they don't really medicate. Just glare. A lot.

As a note.. I'm in Awe of just how much shit those sites expect you to do. I mean really? I try to keep them elevated/straightened after that nothing much else is needed.. reading those stats almost makes it seem serious or something.

Oh and as another note, so far each break has been a new and unique toe. Some might have only been dislocations, I know at least 2 were defiantly breaks.

wolf
She-Barbarian of the North

Post by wolf »

Asherian wrote: I was just hoping to lure out other people as accident prone as me to talk about their own hideous foot 'adventures'.
Sorry, my bones are strong like bull. I've never broken anything. I'm more of a scar person or most of my stories don't have any visual reminders. But foot adventures... Oh! I have one.

Ok picture back about 3 years, anyone that was on this forum (this version and the one just before it) might remember that back then I tended to drink.... a lot. So it was one of those times, I got beyond hammered and we were driving back to the house. Insert a bunch of funny random drunk stuff, blah blah blah. About a block away from my house I blurt out "I don't feel good," so we pull over to let me puke. I totally intended to just open the door, lean out a bit and let'er rip. Well I hadn't realised that the driver had unbuckled my seatbelt for me so instead of stopping like I had planned I kept going. Fear not SMBC goers, my face hitting cement and dragging a bit broke my fall but not before I twisted my foot in a weird way.

So we'll fast forward, not missing much just some drunken hilarity (screaming at houses, forgotten where my bathroom was, passing out on the toilet, randomly waking up naked in my own bed, going to fundamental psychology for children with my face scratched to shit and still drunk at noon, etc). Anyhoo, I was walking around and my foot really hurt, so naturally I decided that I needed to walk on it more. No seriously, that was my reasoning "Oh shit my foot hurts when I walk on it. I need to walk even more to work out what is ever hurting it." Yea. Fast forward a few days and my foot is an odd colour and very swollen so I got it checked out. The look on the doctors face was priceless when iItold her how it happened. Yeah turns out I twisted my ankle or something, I dunno I wasn't listening, she told my NOT to walk on it for a few days.

That's the best foot story I have. The other one is from when I'm a kid. I still have the scar. Nothing beats home medical procedures.
Can you hold my hand? It's a big poop

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

I'm sure I've broken my toes a few times. Hurts for a few days, then the pain goes away. Unless it was the big toe (or it persisted in pain, or some of the other things mentioned up top) I wouldn't do anything about it.
But then again I fractured (possibly broke, but I doubt it) my finger once and I just taped it to the next one and kept working. To no ill effect, as I'm not 100% sure which finger it even was anymore.

AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Post by AHMETxRock »

I've scabbed half my arm, I've bent my toenails completely, I've dented in my leg, and I was dropped on my head as a baby.

Yes, I had a scar for a while. I think that's why I initially wanted long hair. Nowadays the scar is very small and I just like to flip it.
I once sprained my ankle playing soccer, I kicked the ground and hit a rock really hard. I was getting really good with my left leg because my right was out of commission. We payed to play, so I practiced running. I ended up being the world's fastest waddler.

Also, I am a damned fast kid.
Just like an std, will never fully go away.

Kidd

Post by Kidd »

I've already listed my injuries somewhere else. Basically, I break bones a bit, but nothing terrible. My father once had a horse roll over him, he shattered his forearm (the bone was clean broke horizontally, like this --, across the forearm) and he came home, wrapped an ace bandage around it tight, and got back on the horse. Never saw a doctor. It healed eventually, and his only lasting damage is arthritis that sets in terribly in the winter. He is made of one hundred percent badassery.

I have a scar across my face. Starts under my right eye, and at a small angle, goes across my cheek halfway. I have no recollection of it and my parents won't answer me when I ask where it came from. I'm pretty sure I'll never know.
I Believe In Harvey Dent.

Asherian
Token Erisian

Post by Asherian »

I only seem to break toes.. over and over again. I should have broken my arm/legs a few times over, but they prefer to just remove from socket. I've dislocated to one degree or another(it reset itself being lightest, I had to manually set the fucker being highest.) All the major joints in my body. To this day I can sit there and pop my hips in and out while standing. Knee was the worst, it still healed up in about two days. Yes it was fully dislocated, shin pointing funny ways from the thigh visible. The one time I actually bothered to go into a doctor for an ankle sprain I'd fully rotated it 90 degrees to the side, and pointing straight backwards, walking on broken cement. That took er.. a day? before I was able to walk on it normally. Some scars, but only one that has lasted longer then 3-4 years is a piece of pencil lead stuck in my shin. Otherwise worse injury I've probably had was a dog taking a chunk out of my back down to the spine. Or dislocating/breaking my tailbone.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

What are you people doing to break bones? I have never broken a bone in my entire life. Unless you mean greenstick breaks, in which case I had one of those when I was an infant. Stupid crib.

What I do get is scars. No matter how light of a scratch it is, I always get a scar from it. Anybody else have that issue?
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

They say that everyone breaks their toes in their lifetime. Very seldom is it noticed, and sometimes it is only a sprain or whatever, but any big stubbing of the toe often results in breakage.
I also cracked my elbow last year at work (about a week before Christmas). Tripped and came down on the concrete floor on my elbows while I was wrapping a skid, and thus my hands weren't free. Hurt something fierce. I hadn't been to the hospital for my own injury in well over 10 years. There is nothing more relieving to me than finally getting some painkillers after sitting in agony for over an hour.*
I did about 2 months of light rehab, but because of where the crack was and how it subsequently, I am still not able to fully straighten my left arm. Which sucks, though I don't notice all that often.
But until the elbow incident, I had yet to break a bone, aside from toes (probably).

*They actually gave me a prescription for T3's that night, and when I went to the bone clinic the next day, they gave me a scrip for Percocets. Interestingly the T3s worked far better for me than the percocets.

Asherian
Token Erisian

Post by Asherian »

In my case running. Every time I've broken a toe it involved running. Most of the dislocations to... me and moving fast rarely mix well I guess. Good to know their one of the easier/less noticed broken bones I guess.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

You lucky bastard. It takes much more than regular painkillers to affect me, not even Vicodin does the trick. Not rightly certain why, either. The leading theory is that being under anaesthesia for nearly sixteen hours when I was about two years old messed up my brain chemistry something fierce. As a result of having to do without, most pain just doesn't affect me too badly anymore. Even that one time when a homeless guy stabbed me wasn't too bad. I am glad he missed the kidney, though.
Asherian wrote:In my case running.
What were you running from?
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Edminster wrote:You lucky bastard. It takes much more than regular painkillers to affect me, not even Vicodin does the trick. Not rightly certain why, either. The leading theory is that being under anaesthesia for nearly sixteen hours when I was about two years old messed up my brain chemistry something fierce. As a result of having to do without, most pain just doesn't affect me too badly anymore. Even that one time when a homeless guy stabbed me wasn't too bad. I am glad he missed the kidney, though.
Homeless guys will do that. That is why I just stab them first, and make up some hobo stew. The meat gets rather tender since it has been soaking in Aqua Velva.
Yeah, it was strange. Maybe it was just a brain chemistry thing for me, too. I mean the percocets worked slightly, but I was off them in a few days when I decided to step down to the T3's (I mean, I didn't want to become dependant, and I wasn't in nearly as much pain anymore). And the T3's worked far better.