Cooking Experiments!

Everything else.

Moderator: GreenCrayon

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Re: Cooking Experiments!

Post by Kimra »

Apocalyptus wrote:Allergic to both powdered ginger, and to chocolate? I don't envy you, Kimra.
I ignore the chocolate thing. I spent a year not eating chocolate and I'm over that torture. But the ginger I'll live without.
King Prawn

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

Kimra wrote:I ignore the chocolate thing.
But... you're allergic to it! How does that work?
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

I'm allergic to cats yet insist on rubbing my face in the friendly one's belly. Explain that!
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:I'm allergic to cats yet insist on rubbing my face in the friendly one's belly. Explain that!
Also smoking kills you, and yet people do it.

My allergy to chocolate causes mild asthma attacks. I can handle that if I must. My allergy to powdered ginger causes at least 24hrs of stabbing migraines and random throwing up. I can not handle that.

Possibly this is more a reflection of how much I love chocolate and I'm willing to tolerate for it... but I think it's just not as horrific a physical reaction.
King Prawn

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Last weekend I got it in my head to use coffee to season the chicken legs I bought.
So for a few days I looked at a bunch of recipes for coffee brines, marinades and BBQ sauces. To get a bit of an idea. Especially since I've never made my own.
Wednesday morning I threw together a bunch of ingredients and ended up with what turned out to be a pretty damned good savoury mocha BBQ sauce. The ingredients/instructions were roughly:
2 cups of coffee
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
4 tbsp brown sugar
3 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
Small handful of chocolate chips
1 cup tomato sauce
Put them together in a sauce pan and boil it down for a while until it has roughly a BBQ sauce consistency.
Put the 4 back-attached chicken legs in a 9x13 Pyrex and poured the sauce over the legs, marinating for 24 hours or so and brushing sauce over them a few times.
Put it in the oven for 45 minutes or so @ 350 F, again brushing sauce over the legs 2 or 3 times during the roasting.

It was better than I had even expected. I will revisit for sure.
It did need a bit of Nackle when I put the lot (chicken and sauce) on a bed of rice. With a different side it might not need the Nackle.

Apocalyptus

Post by Apocalyptus »

Lethal Interjection wrote: a pretty damned good savoury mocha BBQ sauce
Hmm, that does sound interesting. I have enjoyed savoury chocolate marinades in the past, but I haven't tried coffee. I will have to do so in future.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Apocalyptus wrote:
Lethal Interjection wrote: a pretty damned good savoury mocha BBQ sauce
Hmm, that does sound interesting. I have enjoyed savoury chocolate marinades in the past, but I haven't tried coffee. I will have to do so in future.
Let me know how it goes. I was happy enough with how mine turned out, but I'd love to hear results from other palates.

Similarly my work had a Chili Cook-off Taste-test today. Seven different slow-cookers filled with chili made by management.
I tasted all of the variations, and the one that got my vote was essentially a less spicy version of my own. In that it used cinnamon. Later in the day I learned that the management pair of said chili included the manager with whom I've talked recipes with on several occasions. The only one who might know that cinnamon is my defining ingredient. I don't know for sure whether she intentionally used my signature ingredient, but I intend to find out. Especially since, from what I can tell based on word-of-mouth, it was a pretty clear favourite.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

Am I allowed to use it for some thin-sliced baked tofu?
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:Am I allowed to use it for some thin-sliced baked tofu?
I don't see why not.
I can imagine that it would actually compliment it well enough, based on my limited tofu experience.

HiHungryImDad

Post by HiHungryImDad »

I did mac-n-cheese grilled cheese the other day.

We had homemade mac-n-cheese the night before, so it was nice and solid. I cut a chunk out that was bread shaped and about 1/4 inch thick, then layered it bread > cheese slice > mac-n-cheese hunk > cheese slice > bread, and grilled it up like normal.

Delicious and embarrassing.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

HiHungryImDad wrote:I did mac-n-cheese grilled cheese the other day.

We had homemade mac-n-cheese the night before, so it was nice and solid. I cut a chunk out that was bread shaped and about 1/4 inch thick, then layered it bread > cheese slice > mac-n-cheese hunk > cheese slice > bread, and grilled it up like normal.

I've heard of this before. I don't shy away from carbs at all, but this is a bridge too far.

Apocalyptus

Post by Apocalyptus »

Lethal Interjection wrote:
HiHungryImDad wrote:I did mac-n-cheese grilled cheese the other day.

I've heard of this before. I don't shy away from carbs at all, but this is a bridge too far.
Oh I dunno, I think I'd try it.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

My wife is going to Europe for ten days this summer. I was planning to just eat that monstrosity all week or at least until my heart exploded.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

I would probably try it, but I wouldn't feel good about myself.
Even the idea of a chicken burger made with breaded chicken grosses me out a little. I mean, I like it. Just last weekend I made one, but the concept got to me a bit.
It was enough for me to forego the buns and make wraps with the rest of the breaded chicken. Not a lot of difference, ultimately, but enough for me, I guess.

Apocalyptus

Post by Apocalyptus »

Lethal Interjection wrote: Even the idea of a chicken burger made with breaded chicken grosses me out a little. I mean, I like it. Just last weekend I made one, but the concept got to me a bit.
It was enough for me to forego the buns and make wraps with the rest of the breaded chicken. Not a lot of difference, ultimately, but enough for me, I guess.
Sorry, I'm not 100% on what this means.
So the burger was a crumbed, fried piece of chicken, as opposed to the usual chicken mince a chicken burger is made of?