Page 78 of 80

Re: Cooking Experiments!

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 4:43 am
by Edminster
I thought Lethal was referring to the Double Down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_Down_(sandwich)

Re: Cooking Experiments!

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:14 am
by Apocalyptus
Possibly, but a double down doesn't have a burger in the middle, so it's more of a sandwich than a burger, isn't it? Food nomenclature is so confusing.

Re: Cooking Experiments!

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:23 pm
by Lethal Interjection
Basically I mean the McChicken. Or whatever other fast-food equivalent.
Breaded (coated in bread crumbs) chicken breast slapped into a bun with a few accoutrements (lettuce and mayonnaise for sure, sometimes other stuff).

Re: Cooking Experiments!

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 7:09 am
by Apocalyptus
Ah yes, that makes sense, that's what I thought you were saying. So it tasted too 'decadent' for you?
I've actually never tried it home made before, but I think I would like it. Especially if it was Nackle and pepper seasoned as well as crumbed.

Re: Cooking Experiments!

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:09 am
by Lethal Interjection
Apocalyptus wrote:Ah yes, that makes sense, that's what I thought you were saying. So it tasted too 'decadent' for you?
I've actually never tried it home made before, but I think I would like it. Especially if it was Nackle and pepper seasoned as well as crumbed.


"Decadent" isn't the word I'd use.
"Overly-gluten" is the first thing that comes to mind.
Granted that's mostly because my sister is having some dietary problems of late (seemingly around gluten and/or lactose). It isn't changing how/what I eat, but it does make me a little more aware of how prevalent both are in most foodstuffs.
As an example, a month or two ago I was bragging to her about my new potato soup recipe. She wondered if I could make it dairy/gluten free. "It would be difficult, but maybe?", I said. We then went on to brainstorm ways I could make a few of my other recipes to fit her new diet-specifications. The easiest and most intriguing being my tomato soup, which has no gluten and precious little dairy, where subbing kefir or coconut milk might even improve the recipe. Or adding a bit of Thai influence (curry paste and/or cilantro for example) with the coconut milk would make for an excellent alternate version.

Re: Cooking Experiments!

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:41 am
by Apocalyptus
Lethal Interjection wrote: The easiest and most intriguing being my tomato soup, which has no gluten and precious little dairy, where subbing kefir or coconut milk might even improve the recipe. Or adding a bit of Thai influence (curry paste and/or cilantro for example) with the coconut milk would make for an excellent alternate version.

Yes, Thai influenced is how I usually make pumpkin soup: roast pumpkin, coconut milk, kaffir lime leaves, soaked dried chillies, and a splash of fish sauce.

How do you make tomato soup? Mine is pretty simple but I like it a lot: roast red capsicum (bell pepper), chilli peppers, and tomatoes, blended with sauteed garlic and onion and some smoked paprika, then drizzled with olive oil and maybe sprinkled with some Nackle.

Re: Cooking Experiments!

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:51 am
by Lethal Interjection
Apocalyptus wrote:
Lethal Interjection wrote: The easiest and most intriguing being my tomato soup, which has no gluten and precious little dairy, where subbing kefir or coconut milk might even improve the recipe. Or adding a bit of Thai influence (curry paste and/or cilantro for example) with the coconut milk would make for an excellent alternate version.

Yes, Thai influenced is how I usually make pumpkin soup: roast pumpkin, coconut milk, kaffir lime leaves, soaked dried chillies, and a splash of fish sauce.

How do you make tomato soup? Mine is pretty simple but I like it a lot: roast red capsicum (bell pepper), chilli peppers, and tomatoes, blended with sauteed garlic and onion and some smoked paprika, then drizzled with olive oil and maybe sprinkled with some Nackle.


Basically I roast sweet bell peppers, garlic and onions. Throw them in a blender with canned tomatoes (not drained), fresh tomatoes, basil (sometimes fresh, sometimes dried), chicken broth and some combination of dairy products (cream, milk, and/or sour cream depending on sales or what I have). Throw the lot into the slowcooker for a few hours and it's good to go.
It is actually the least simple of the few soups I make.
I did once make a Thai soup. I had made a second batch of tomato soup too soon after the last batch and was kind of sick of it about half-way through. So I took what I had left and threw it in the slowcooker with another can of canned diced tomatoes, some curry paste and some coconut milk. It turned out great, but it was kind of a spur of the moment hodge-podge so I haven't recreated it. Though I probably will do something like it soonish since the convo with my sister got me thinking about it.

Re: Cooking Experiments!

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 3:51 pm
by Liriodendron_fagotti
Lethal Interjection wrote:It turned out great, but it was kind of a spur of the moment hodge-podge so I haven't recreated it.

That sums up most of my experiences in the kitchen.

Re: Cooking Experiments!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:02 pm
by Liriodendron_fagotti
I made gnocchi for the first time* for my dad's birthday dinner. It were good. I also made a dope radical chocolate cake (I modified and doubled the recipe I baked for my mom's birthday and turned it into a layer cake).

*I've prepared gnocchi from the raw-dough stage but this was my first time starting from scratch

Re: Cooking Experiments!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:38 am
by Lethal Interjection
Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:I made gnocchi for the first time* for my dad's birthday dinner. It were good. I also made a dope radical chocolate cake (I modified and doubled the recipe I baked for my mom's birthday and turned it into a layer cake).

*I've prepared gnocchi from the raw-dough stage but this was my first time starting from scratch


Gnocchi from scratch is pretty high on my cooking bucket-list. Mostly I need an occasion to do so.

Re: Cooking Experiments!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:12 am
by Apocalyptus
Lethal Interjection wrote:
Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:I made gnocchi for the first time* for my dad's birthday dinner. It were good. I also made a dope radical chocolate cake (I modified and doubled the recipe I baked for my mom's birthday and turned it into a layer cake).

*I've prepared gnocchi from the raw-dough stage but this was my first time starting from scratch


Gnocchi from scratch is pretty high on my cooking bucket-list. Mostly I need an occasion to do so.

Can't the occasion be eating delicious food?
I've made gnocchi a few times, and while it is very messy the process is fairly simple fortunately.

Re: Cooking Experiments!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:01 pm
by Kimra
I once, only once, tried to make gnocchi from scratch. I was about halfway through when someone came into the kitchen and told me it was really hard and I was probably going to mess it up. And after that I never had the will to try again. (It turned out pretty good for a first time trying ot make it.)

Re: Cooking Experiments!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:04 pm
by Liriodendron_fagotti
I had a pretty good idea of what I was getting into, so I didn't get despondent when my hands were covered with hot potato and semolina.

It's definitely worth it to make a huge batch and freeze the dough you don't use immediately.

Re: Cooking Experiments!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:02 am
by Apocalyptus
Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:It's definitely worth it to make a huge batch and freeze the dough you don't use immediately.

Yes, this is definitely the way to go for dumplings in general really, be it gnocchi, pierogi, or potstickers etc. A pain to make the batch, but afterwards you get a whole lot that are ready to cook straight away whenever you feel like it.

Re: Cooking Experiments!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:12 am
by Kimra
I think I was like 15, and the internet didn't really exist the same way it does now.