Talk to Strangers

Everything else.

Moderator: GreenCrayon

Snarky00
/shrug

Re: Talk to Strangers

Post by Snarky00 »

mountainmage wrote:You sure shrug a lot.
/shrug

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

I like my prime minister. He'd kick back a stubby in the yard with anyone.
King Prawn

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

mountainmage wrote:Has Canadia ever had a black prime minister? How long until you think it does?
I doubt that there would be any problem with having one elected. We just haven't had any particularly notable black politicians up here. I'd actually say it would be more likely to have another minority represented as PM, such as East Asian. Mostly just because I can think of more notable politicians in those minorities. Our last two Governor Generals have been women, one black, the other asian in descent (the GG has all the power, ultimately, but is mostly just a figurehead, as a rep of the queen).
And we have had a female PM, though she hardly counts. She wasn't actually popularly elected, after all.

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Our female PM is remembered mostly as a disaster, though I don't know the details. She probably single-handedly set back the feminist movement in Canadia with her unpopular image.

Snarky00
/shrug

Post by Snarky00 »

Snarky00 wrote:What am I if I drink tequila?
Apparently the president. =o

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

mountainmage wrote:Has Canadia ever had a black prime minister? How long until you think it does?
Sort of like Lethal already said, for a black PM first we'd need a significant black population, and we don't really have that. Personally I think the true equivalent up here would be an aboriginal PM, for the most part Canadians aren't really that racist, but they are toward Native Americans. And the aboriginals have more unresolved issues, and more controversy surrounding them than any other minority here.
LordRetard wrote:Our female PM is remembered mostly as a disaster, though I don't know the details. She probably single-handedly set back the feminist movement in Canadia with her unpopular image.
I respectively disagree, sir. There's been some very strong women in politics after Kim Campbell, including two deputy PMs. And I strongly believe if Belinda Stronach had defeated Stephen Harper in the last Conservative leadership race she would be Prime Minister now.

Besides, 90% of that disaster was caused by Mulroney*, not Campbell. Most Canadians, in my experience, see her as a lamb led to the slaughter more so than the actual cause of that defeat. The idea that one party can go from the largest majority in Canadian History to just two seats in the House of Commons, it couldn't have just been that couple of months Campbell was in power (correct me if I'm wrong, but other than calling an election I don't think she actually had a chance to do anything as PM)

*The other 10%? 8% was making fun of Chretien's Bells Palsy. They were losing the election anyways, but they may have been able to salvage a few seats had they not done that. And 2% was Campbell's campaign, "Don't vote for that creepy old guy, vote for me, I'm fun!"
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

All right, I'll take your word for this, because I really can't keep track of canadian politics.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

LordRetard wrote:All right, I'll take your word for this, because I really can't keep track of canadian politics.
Considering this all happened when you were two* I think I can understand if you don't know every detail about Kim Campbell's Prime Ministership. Honestly, for me though, I just love Canadian political history. It's sort of like a normal interest is for other people (like movies and music).

*Summer of '93. This is just a guess, so correct me if I'm wrong.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Or linguistics!

Asherian
Token Erisian

Post by Asherian »

I would have been about 8, but canadian politics really wasn't talked much about in my house. Australian or US, occasionally some british for "world" news, thats about it.
As pure as the driven snow. Bitches

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

smiley_cow wrote: I respectively disagree, sir. There's been some very strong women in politics after Kim Campbell, including two deputy PMs. And I strongly believe if Belinda Stronach had defeated Stephen Harper in the last Conservative leadership race she would be Prime Minister now.

Besides, 90% of that disaster was caused by Mulroney*, not Campbell. Most Canadians, in my experience, see her as a lamb led to the slaughter more so than the actual cause of that defeat. The idea that one party can go from the largest majority in Canadian History to just two seats in the House of Commons, it couldn't have just been that couple of months Campbell was in power (correct me if I'm wrong, but other than calling an election I don't think she actually had a chance to do anything as PM)
I'm not sure I understand your comment about Stronach? You think that she wouldn't have done the same as Harper? That's not really surprising, I mean he has about as much personality as a set of double-six dominoes. Provided she had the same party backing, which she mostly would, she definitely would've gotten to the same spot. I have a feeling you mean majority leader, though I'm not sure.
And Campbell was useless as a PM, but none of that was her fault. She was dealt a really shitty hand, and got burned because of the collective hate for Mulroney.
* Don't ask me.

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

Kimra wrote:I like my prime minister. He'd kick back a stubby in the yard with anyone.
Good old K-Rudd. Although I think he would do it in a pretty awkward, nerdy way.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Apocalyptus wrote:
Kimra wrote:I like my prime minister. He'd kick back a stubby in the yard with anyone.
Good old K-Rudd. Although I think he would do it in a pretty awkward, nerdy way.
That's why I love him.
King Prawn

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

Kimra wrote:
Apocalyptus wrote:
That's why I love him.
Don't we all. He's just so dreamy. *sigh*
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Lethal Interjection wrote: I'm not sure I understand your comment about Stronach? You think that she wouldn't have done the same as Harper? That's not really surprising, I mean he has about as much personality as a set of double-six dominoes. Provided she had the same party backing, which she mostly would, she definitely would've gotten to the same spot. I have a feeling you mean majority leader, though I'm not sure.
I was just making the point that every once in a while we do get a female politician who gets close the Prime Minster's seat. Not that she would have done better. And the only reason I use her is because the vote was a lot closer between her and Harper than it was between Paul Martin and Sheila Copps.

But I don't think she'd have gotten a majority, not unless she did something really impressive that people didn't foresee.