Etiquette

Everything else.

Moderator: GreenCrayon

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Etiquette

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

All right, so here is something that has been bothering me for years now.

Say you're walking down the sidewalk and there's a total stranger coming towards you; it's clear that you both have places to be. There's maybe five feet between the two of you, you're still walking, and he says, "How's it going?" What is the correct response here?
If you keep walking, you've got about enough time for one syllable before you pass each other. Do you both stop in your tracks so you can answer and return the question? Do you keep walking and throw a "fine, how are you" over your shoulder? Is the question rhetorical enough that you can just say "Hi" and keep going?
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Re: Etiquette

Post by LordRetard »

I've tried the "stop-and-reply" tactic before, and normally the other person will just keep walking; which is why I just say "hey" and keep walking, because I don't expect anything past the initial exchange.

I'll note this is usually what happens for someone you sort-of-know, i.e. are barely familiar with; at least in Toronto, very few strangers want to talk to you, unless they are crazy or homeless.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

I preemptively start the conversation at about fifteen feet, which is plenty of time for the complete exchange.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

BigRed009

Post by BigRed009 »

Just reply with "Hi." It's what they are initially are saying to you anyway. I mean, do you really think they give a rat's ass about how another stranger is doing?
I don't know. I just work here.

SilverSeraph

Post by SilverSeraph »

The problem with your question is that we don't know the general location of this theoretical meeting. Local customs have much to do with etiquette. For example, in Austraila you would say something like "G'day mate" then take them to a local pub for a beer, who needs to go to work anyway. In England, you say something like "cheerio good sir" and discuss what you saw on the telly last night and your love for the queen for a bit before hastily making your way to the underground with you oyster card in hand. Of course if your are in Detroit then the proper response to anyone foolish enough to make themselves known, especially if they happen to be a lighter shade than you, is to push them over, rough them up a bit before stealing their wallet and popping a cap in their ass with you glock or sub-machine gun, which ever is more handy.

Personally if someone I don't know tries to talk to me while I am busy they usually get the fake smile and an odd disjointed response to what every they said like "How are you doing today" Response: "yep yep, of course." I usually only realize my response did not work 5 or so steps later and at that point it is awkward to turn back and say something... it has been established in the theoretical situation and my response that I am busy and need to be somewhere, so turning around to correct a mistake to someone I don't know and will likely NEVER meet again isn't that pressing an issue and I soon forget my misstep.

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Part of my reluctance to talk to strangers is because I work at a library. Just earlier this week a guy that smelt like shit and that had teeth the colour of a school bus went up to me and told me that he wasn't a bad guy. He stayed for a while, so I just told him that I was working and, God bless, he left, to go tell the security guard that he wasn't a bad guy.

SilverSeraph

Post by SilverSeraph »

Did he offer you candy? Was it in his van? I might KNOW that guy!!! How is Bob doing?

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Bob needs a change of pants, apparently, because he was stinking up the fucking building. Not like he's the only crazy man there that smells like a strange mix of tobacco, urine, shit and nonspecific stink.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

This reminds me of something that happened to me last weekend. I was walking downtown one afternoon and a total stranger walked up to me and said "Hello."

"Hello." I answered.

"Nice weather we're having today." He said.

"Yes," I answered, "I hope it continues."

"Do you drink?" Asked the stranger.

"Um... no." I say, slightly confused.

"Good." Says the stranger and walks off. It was a little odd.

To answer your question, usually I'll answer with a quick 'well' or 'good' but not much more than that, and I might ask them back if there's time. Sometimes if the stranger keeps up the conversation there might be some over the shoulder yelling though I try to keep it quick. This probably isn't necessary etiquette, I just like to be friendly. I'm sure a quick 'Good, thank you.' or something to that effect would suffice for the sake of politeness. Of course I'm also from the land of manners, so I don't know if you want to copy my technique or not.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

When a younger person does that they're just leading you on, if it's an older person I just say "Fine. You?" and keep walking.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

I think the appropriate response would be "Do you care?"

astasia
Is Totally a People

Post by astasia »

It all depends upon how well I know the person.

But, I usually am anxious to not appear rude, and will at least slow down and have an over-the-shoulder conversation. More typically, an awkward stop is needed for most people. But, I grew up in a small town.
If we weren't such good friends, I'd wish you were dead.

Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

Post by Sahan »

The only time I really bump into strangers is when I walk to the bus stop on the way to University in the morning, and when I'm on those bumper cars in the fair. I usually just smile and say "Morning" as I do so in the bumper cars, in the mornings though all etiquette flies out the window.
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?

AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Post by AHMETxRock »

QUOTE SHAKESPEARE.
Just like an std, will never fully go away.

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

"How's it going?"
"OF ALL MEN ELSE I HAVE AVOIDED THEE:
BUT GET THEE BACK; MY SOUL IS TOO MUCH CHARGED
WITH BLOOD OF THINE ALREADY."
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.