What us all alooklike

Everything else.

Moderator: GreenCrayon

User avatar
smiley_cow
polite but murderous
Posts: 6514
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:15 pm
Location: The vast and desolate prairies

Re: What us all alooklike

Post by smiley_cow »

I added Astro, but I couldn't find a friend request for Felstaff. :?:

I'm the panda avatar. I don't do much with my facebook account other than Scrabble and Tetris Battle, but I do post Skype chat reminders.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

User avatar
Astrogirl
so close, yet so far
Posts: 2114
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:51 am

Re: What us all alooklike

Post by Astrogirl »

Edminster wrote:
Astrogirl wrote:Wait, you people are adding each other on Facebook? Add me, too! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000316103420
I knew it! I had actually tracked you down a while ago, but never actually friended you in case I was wrong.
How did you track me down? There are quite a number of people with my first and last name in Germany.
Microaggression? Microaggression!

User avatar
Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS
Posts: 8835
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:53 pm
Location: Internet
Contact:

Re: What us all alooklike

Post by Edminster »

Astrogirl wrote:How did you track me down? There are quite a number of people with my first and last name in Germany.
Yeah, that latter part is why I never actually sent the request. I had whittled it down to you and someone who had no profile picture. As for the how, I'm pretty sure I used your email address as the base search and various details you've let slip over the years to narrow down results. Your profile was fairly tightly locked down from what I remember, so I could not with confidence add you.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

User avatar
Astrogirl
so close, yet so far
Posts: 2114
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:51 am

Re: What us all alooklike

Post by Astrogirl »

Edminster wrote:
Astrogirl wrote:How did you track me down? There are quite a number of people with my first and last name in Germany.
Yeah, that latter part is why I never actually sent the request. I had whittled it down to you and someone who had no profile picture. As for the how, I'm pretty sure I used your email address as the base search and various details you've let slip over the years to narrow down results. Your profile was fairly tightly locked down from what I remember, so I could not with confidence add you.
Yeah, I'm not sure how to make things show up there that I want to show up there. The only things that ever make it there is things I don't want to show up on the public profile, like I "liked" a book review (because it saved me from reading a horrible book) and suddenly facebook tells the world that I like that book.
Microaggression? Microaggression!

User avatar
Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution
Posts: 8051
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:17 pm
Location: Behind your ear. It's magic!
Contact:

Re: What us all alooklike

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Astrogirl wrote:
Edminster wrote:
Astrogirl wrote:How did you track me down? There are quite a number of people with my first and last name in Germany.
Yeah, that latter part is why I never actually sent the request. I had whittled it down to you and someone who had no profile picture. As for the how, I'm pretty sure I used your email address as the base search and various details you've let slip over the years to narrow down results. Your profile was fairly tightly locked down from what I remember, so I could not with confidence add you.
Yeah, I'm not sure how to make things show up there that I want to show up there. The only things that ever make it there is things I don't want to show up on the public profile, like I "liked" a book review (because it saved me from reading a horrible book) and suddenly facebook tells the world that I like that book.
Facebook can be weird like that. I remember a friend mentioning an article that I'd liked to me, which I had very little recollection of and probably wouldn't have necessarily wanted most of my friends to see that I'd liked.
Also, I actually blocked a friend from coming up on my newsfeed because I was getting regular updates on him commenting on news articles (primarily CBC). Now I'd been on the verge of blocking him previously, but seeing that he'd taken his diatribes to the news-comments was the last straw. I mean I sometimes had a base agreement, but more often disagreed with his ignoring/dismissing blind-spots and dichotimizing-language. In other words, I don't disagree with him exactly, I just almost entirely disagree with his methods of making points. And if you going to debase your argument by ranting against complete strangers, then your message is lost. So terribly lost.

User avatar
Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS
Posts: 8835
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:53 pm
Location: Internet
Contact:

Re: What us all alooklike

Post by Edminster »

Lethal Interjection wrote:I actually blocked a friend from coming up on my newsfeed because I was getting regular updates on him commenting on news articles
I was worried you were talking about me until you clarified the news station! I troll the comments on my local news' facebook page on occasion, but I try to keep my arguments focussed, sourced, and informative. I didn't even realise that people on my friendslist were notified of such activities until quite recently; facebook is incredibly opaque about what is or is not viewable by others.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

User avatar
Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution
Posts: 8051
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:17 pm
Location: Behind your ear. It's magic!
Contact:

Re: What us all alooklike

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Edminster wrote:
Lethal Interjection wrote:I actually blocked a friend from coming up on my newsfeed because I was getting regular updates on him commenting on news articles
I was worried you were talking about me until you clarified the news station! I troll the comments on my local news' facebook page on occasion, but I try to keep my arguments focussed, sourced, and informative. I didn't even realise that people on my friendslist were notified of such activities until quite recently; facebook is incredibly opaque about what is or is not viewable by others.
Yeah, it's a little off-putting. But my example is definitely not you.
The person in question is a family friend (or really 'was', as any connection at this point is pretty much tangential) who has been really opinionated. Now for a very long time I resonated with his arguments in a kind of way where I felt like we were two sides of the same coin. In that our ends were similar, but he tended to come from the left where I was a bit from the right. Really my issue with him was that his use of language. In that he was trying to be influential but would consistently use words that were basically shibboleths. 'Fascist', for example. Using that word doesn't rally anyone to your side who wasn't already there. And he was trying to be an influence. So stuff like that bothered me immensely, but ultimately reasoned discussion would end up exposing that we had similar end-games (politically, socially, whathaveyou).
Now I'd been tempted to block him for a while because I felt like more and more of his posts tended to swing vehemently to extremes*. And again, despite being bothersome, calling him on shit enough would dull his argument enough that there was at least vague agreement.
But last fall I started having my newsfeed cluttered with news articles (primarily CBC) where he was striving to 'eductate' complete strangers in the comments section. And that there is how you know your opinionated views are completely irrelevant. Because unlike your focus, sourcing and information, his was an attempt to use oratory (which he didn't have) and persuasion (which doesn't work in that medium). And I grew tired of it, and blocked his feed.
And as little as two days ago he actually posted, unbidden, a "U Mad Bro" image on a post of mine (about the NFL deflate-gate). I posted a response, and he managed to fall into a very narrow window re-responding. Outside of that window would've prompted me to post a stark reality check which might very well have destroyed the relationship depending on how he took it.


*There was also his interest in sports, which was uninterested in anyone who wasn't completely on his side, to the point of troll-like arguments.

User avatar
Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS
Posts: 8835
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:53 pm
Location: Internet
Contact:

Re: What us all alooklike

Post by Edminster »

Got a new shirt and felt real cute, so took a pic because it'll help when I'm feeling ugly:

Image

Could still stand to lose five or ten pounds but boy howdy I am prettier by the day.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

User avatar
Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt
Posts: 6853
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:18 am
Location: meanwhile elsewhere

Re: What us all alooklike

Post by Kimra »

I keep squinting at this shirt trying to figure out what's happening. Is there a bird eating someone? Is there a naked lady? I don't know! It's like a rorschach test.
King Prawn

User avatar
Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS
Posts: 8835
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:53 pm
Location: Internet
Contact:

Re: What us all alooklike

Post by Edminster »

Here's the design, which is NWS on account of a bare titty hanging in the breeze

http://i.imgur.com/xZ5kPij.jpg

And here's where to get one for yourself

https://www.threadless.com/product/5982/
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

User avatar
mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains
Posts: 9601
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 11:42 am
Location: Right here. Right now.

Re: What us all alooklike

Post by mountainmage »

I look the same but my hair is longer and I have a beard now.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

User avatar
Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution
Posts: 8051
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:17 pm
Location: Behind your ear. It's magic!
Contact:

Re: What us all alooklike

Post by Lethal Interjection »

That is one screwed up coat-of-arms. I like it.

User avatar
Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt
Posts: 6853
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:18 am
Location: meanwhile elsewhere

Re: What us all alooklike

Post by Kimra »

I am no longer concerned that I couldn't figure out what was happening in that picture. Because I still can't, but it's cool.
King Prawn

User avatar
smiley_cow
polite but murderous
Posts: 6514
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:15 pm
Location: The vast and desolate prairies

Re: What us all alooklike

Post by smiley_cow »

I am glad Kimra asked about the shirt, because I feel like my life's been greatly enriched for having seen that picture.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

User avatar
IntlSpaceStation
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:10 am
Location: In Orbit [Gainesville, FL]
Contact:

Re: What us all alooklike

Post by IntlSpaceStation »

Don't we all know what the ISS looks like? I'm the goddamn ISS, dammit! It's pretty obvious what I look like:
Image

But this is my gopher. She's a little bit crazy sometimes and likes to pretend she's a satellite. She's a furry, too. But instead of having a main fursona, she pretends she's a satellite, haha!
Image

Maybe she needs help. She carries that plush Rosetta everywhere.
Image
I am the International Space Station. Look at my sexy, gigantic solar panels. Whenever you see me passing over, I'm technically flashing you. Look! Look with your seeing orbs my massive photovoltaic array! Look at me doing science for the sake of SCIENCE!

Post Reply