Font Snobs

Everything else.

Moderator: GreenCrayon

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Re: Font Snobs

Post by mountainmage »

Wow, I was thinking the exact same thing, but I didn't feel like saying it.

Because I doubt every youtube video you watch is licensed by the group (although some bands do have channels).
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

It was a pretty obvious thing to say; even Ed seemed to be leaning toward the "maybe it is kind of bad" position. We've said plenty on piracy in the past, but consider the flipside; aren't you plainly an asshole if you say "they made their music free, so I don't have to pay shit to them"?*

*To clarify, this is not against people who listen to free or pirated music. This is against people who are gainst pirating but think that a band's decision to put out free music means that they are the exception; it's okay to listen to it and never pay for it, but you have to pay for anything else because it supports artists.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

I trust in Youtube when it comes to violations of copyright. As well, when the group's channel is available, I tend to use that over any other source.
LordRetard wrote:aren't you plainly an asshole if you say "they made their music free, so I don't have to pay shit to them"?*

*To clarify, this is not against people who listen to free or pirated music. This is against people who are gainst pirating but think that a band's decision to put out free music means that they are the exception; it's okay to listen to it and never pay for it, but you have to pay for anything else because it supports artists.
I pay when I can, for what it's worth. Like with JoCo and I, Cactus; I sent money to help them out.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Makes sense. It's just that people like that actually exist, which is awful.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

The YouTube example is really difficult to label as piracy. Yes, these people often don't have rights to the music they are using in their videos, but that is difficult to determine. And you aren't taking a copy for yourself.
Listening to any streaming audio on the internet isn't all that different from listening to it on the radio, or going over to a friends place to listen to his CDs (or even borrowing them with no intention of copying).
Sure, the origins of the music are ambiguous, but thats difficult enough to make any real moral decision about.

I do like it when bands have official channels. I was quite happy that when referencing a piece from Flight of the Conchords recently, I was actually able to link directly to HBO's channel. I like giving proper credit when possible.
I've also known of a few illegal recordings that were embraced by the artists after the fact. One of my favourite artists, Tom Freund, found a video online of him and Ben Harper at SXSW, and actually linked it on his main page. But he isn't well-known, so "any press is good press".

Frostbite
I dunno.

Post by Frostbite »

When I was at the Protest the Hero concert recently, one of the opening bands, Misery Signals openly encouraged downloading their music.
Doin' podcasts before they were cool.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Word of mouth is a powerful tool of advertisement.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Lethal Interjection wrote:Listening to any streaming audio on the internet isn't all that different from listening to it on the radio, or going over to a friends place to listen to his CDs (or even borrowing them with no intention of copying).
Is it really the same as listening to the radio? You listen to what they send you, at that time. Youtube is on demand. And if you go over to a friend's place that means they want to listen to it, and if you borrow it that means both of you can't listen to it at the same time. Listening to music on youtube is like having the mp3 on your computer; aside from the sound quality, you have total control over it. So it all depends on if that bothers you.

Rainbow
*~t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m~*

Post by Rainbow »

I've had this discussion many times, and frankly, I think we are easing into a new era: an era where the song has no fiscal value. I think soon, songs won't cost and it will be concerts and merchandise that make a band rich. I already don't really understand why musicians are forced into extreme wealth if they become popular, but this will probably still happen when or if songs become free. With the way the internet has changed in the past few years, accessibility to any file is just too easy and widespread to restrict. I think in the next fifty years, paying for music will be gone, and paying to see the artist and wear the artist and support the artist will start.
AHMETxROCK wrote:This is not quoteworthy.

cheez.wiz
Human-based Product

Post by cheez.wiz »

And you know, people actually owning stuff to record, or mastering said recordings will all feed of dew water and grass. I hope we have enough of that stuff to hold for a while.
bird bird bird, bird is a word, b-b-b-b-bird oh yeah bird is a word, bird bird bird

Feedbacker

Post by Feedbacker »

I openly encourage the free listening to the music of the bands that I'm in. I play in a punk band from time to time and we give away cd's and homemade t-shirts just so we can get our name out there.

Ideally I'd like to be able to make money off of music but I don't desire ridiculous amounts. If I can make enough to be financially stable, I'll be extremely happy.

Also I know many people (myself included) who download lots of music but also buy the actual cd or whatever just to support the band. There will always be people like that, so I don't think musicians making money off of songs will have to worry for quite some time.

AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Post by AHMETxRock »

What about people that don't need their name out there? A McDonalds doesn't need to make an advertisement to make people go to them, only to go to them more frequently. Rise Against is my favorite band, and I don't see them fading into obscurity anytime soon due to a lack of publicity.
Just like an std, will never fully go away.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

I think intellectual property is going to be around for a while, not because of piracy but because bands will want to control who's using their music. For example, if I were in a band and I suddenly noticed my song being played in a McDonald's commercial, I would be more than a little annoyed.

I know a lot of smaller groups actually have a lot of trouble with this, I can think of two occasions where Owen Pallett's was asked if his music could be used, he said no, and they used it anyways. My favourite was a cell phone company. You couldn't here the lyrics, but the song they chose was about Jenna Bush becoming horribly depressed and wanting to commit suicide.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Rainbow wrote:I think we are easing into a new era: an era where the song has no fiscal value.
Then no one is paying for songs, and no one will bother being a musician. Unless they're hippies.

Rainbow
*~t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m~*

Post by Rainbow »

No, they will become artists. Artists do not make a lot of money for being artists most of the time, but they have their heart in it if they really pursue it, and I think music will head that way. It will never be quite the same because the masses like music, but it will be going that way, I think.
AHMETxROCK wrote:This is not quoteworthy.