what do you do?

Everything else.

Moderator: GreenCrayon

GirlsDontDoThat
YesTheyDo

what do you do?

Post by GirlsDontDoThat »

So every time I tell anyone in my new town where I work they apologize. I'm told my boss is a raging drunk who shorts paychecks.

So I am wondering, where do YOU work?

Or

what kind of interesting tales of horrific subserviance could you share with me, peon?
"Everyone needs a good uncle. I can be your uncle."

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Re: what do you do?

Post by LordRetard »

I have five bosses.

But I work at a public library, so it's okay because our union protects us from working.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

I have no job. Wa ha ha ha. No seriously it just means I'm broke.
I quit my last job (why I left Japan) because I was highly opposed to the pathetically sexist and bullying management and the environment that such management encouraged.
King Prawn

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

I was fired once, except I actually wasn't because I hadn't done anything to merit being fired. I hadn't been sending in my pay sheets, which I didn't see as a problem because all it meant was that I would have to wait an extra two weeks to paid. But I guess someone up the management ladder wasn't happy about this(my guess is that it meant a bit of extra work for them) so they sent me a letter telling me that because they didn't have a record of me working for the past month, I'd been removed from the staff list and I should call if I'm still working for them (this is an actual policy of theirs, but the time limit is a year, not a month). So I called them, I left a message or two, they never answered the phone, nor did they return my messages. Finally I told one of the clients (I mean I can't work for her, if I'm not employed, right?) and she really didn't want to lose me, so she went in and yelled at them herself (I guess this wasn't the first time they'd tried to pull something like this) and suddenly I was an employee again.

Personally I though the whole thing was a bit cowardly, if they wanted my pay sheets in sooner they could have just told me (they gave me no indication whatsoever there was a problem until I suddenly got the letter telling me I was no longer an employee). Of course they couldn't actually fire me because I belonged to a union and they're legally obligated to give me a warning first, but I guess that might have actually involved confrontation. Plus I'm good at my job, so there were no problems there. Then again I work for the province, which means major bureaucracy, and a bunch of stupid government employees. Still, I was unimpressed.

In case anyone's wondering, I'm a respite worker. This means that people who are caregivers to the disabled, let's say someone has an Autistic child or a husband with Alzheimer's or something like that, they are legally entitled to so many hours of respite a week. So what they do is the caregivers call me and I watch over their charges for a few hours while they go out and get a break.

[/wall of text]
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

GirlsDontDoThat
YesTheyDo

Post by GirlsDontDoThat »

What a nice job you have, smiley! Minus the beauracracy (sp?!)

Sounds rewarding.
"Everyone needs a good uncle. I can be your uncle."

freako104

Post by freako104 »

For now: I work at a Wal Mart. I hope to be a corrections officer soon
This isn't really happening!
Spreading the madness of Cthulhu. One mind at a time. Starting with my own

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

I hope you get that job, too! Nobody's called me for the character reference though, so I'm not sure of your chances.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

GirlsDontDoThat wrote:What a nice job you have, smiley! Minus the beauracracy (sp?!)

Sounds rewarding.
Thanks! luckily I rarely have to deal with the bureaucracy (it's a hard word, I know), so it's actually a pretty good job. I really enjoy it anyways.

Edminster wrote:I hope you get that job, too! Nobody's called me for the character reference though, so I'm not sure of your chances.
This could be a good sign. I know when I applied to Education no one contacted any of my references or called me in for an interview. It turned out it was because I was already accepted.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Snarky00
/shrug

Post by Snarky00 »

I've been at a small local arena/convention center. Its shitty work but I get to watch the local lingerie bowl team practice so I can't complain.

Before that I worked in a foam factory. Almost lost a foot to a large mechanical table with a band-saw when some dumb-ass started it up without looking while I was behind the machine working on it. Had to get the fuck out of there. If I get messed up due to my own actions that's one thing, I'm not going to hang around a place where someone can kill you because they are in a hurry and not paying attention.

Before that I was doing consumer service for Nintendo. That was fun, did it for a year and would be doing it still if I had anywhere to stay near Redmond. Commuting an hour a a half into that place is a bear.

freako104

Post by freako104 »

Edminster wrote:I hope you get that job, too! Nobody's called me for the character reference though, so I'm not sure of your chances.

It might not be for a while. I have an interview on Wednesday again, which is the next step.Should that go well, then you'll probably hear from them. As will everyone else I am using as a reference.
This isn't really happening!
Spreading the madness of Cthulhu. One mind at a time. Starting with my own

Avalant
Ahmet's sex life

Post by Avalant »

I work as a computer programmer at a small car financing company in Rockland, MA. (South Shore area) However I commute from Brighton (western part of Boston)

Euclidthegreek
Fisty McGee

Post by Euclidthegreek »

What don't you do, GirlsDontDoThat?
Edminster wrote:I'm starting to think Euclid lives in the past.

Asherian
Token Erisian

Post by Asherian »

Euclidthegreek wrote:What don't you do, GirlsDontDoThat?
I assume something along the lines as have her sexual organs going internal as well as their normally external nature.*

*I only recently learned men have this ability from well.. the internets, but still. Thats just madness.
As pure as the driven snow. Bitches

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

I think I know what you're talking about but I'm not quite certain...

Asherian
Token Erisian

Post by Asherian »

LordRetard wrote:I think I know what you're talking about but I'm not quite certain...
Something tells me your probably happier that way, but if not PM me and I'll go into details. Details and their devilhood.
As pure as the driven snow. Bitches