I'm quitting University tomorrow.

Everything else.

Moderator: GreenCrayon

I'm quitting University tomorrow.

Postby Kimra » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:34 pm

I'm quitting university tomorrow, I think. Depending on if I'm talked out of it by my family or not.

I have just undertaken the task of communicating to my family (in the only way I know how, e-mail*) that I don't want to study to be a teacher any more. I have nothing against being a teacher, in fact I think I would be pretty good at it, BUT studying it and failing to remember any of it has convinced me that I can't actually achieve the qualifications needed for it.

I always think "If I won a million dollars, right now, what would I do?" and when studying for my English Degree the answer was always "I would finish my degree then go traveling.", but right now, doing the teaching diploma my reply is "I would quit this course without a second thought." What is the relevance of that tidbit? It shows where my priorities are, and I don't see the value in studying something that you have no interest or skill in.

So I'm quitting. It's just dealing with the fallout of that decision that will be fun tomorrow.

*yes I live with some of them, and we even communicate by MSN when in parallel rooms sometimes - that's how lazy cool I am
King Prawn
User avatar
Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt
 
Posts: 6872
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:18 am
Location: meanwhile elsewhere

Re: I'm quitting University tomorrow.

Postby GreenCrayon » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:28 pm

Regardless of how it all goes down, best of luck.

The waiting's usually the worst part.
Pirate.
User avatar
GreenCrayon
Traditional Iconoclast
 
Posts: 1649
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:16 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: I'm quitting University tomorrow.

Postby LordRetard » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:56 pm

Well; I'd never do that, or recommend it to anyone else. But if you know what you're doing then I think you'll find a way. Do you know what you'll do now?

I don't know, I dislike that "million dollars" question because I'm just like the main character in Office Space; why would I do anything at all? But that's the kind of person I am, I guess.
User avatar
LordRetard
The Most Retardedest
 
Posts: 9999
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:44 pm
Location: My Parents' Basement

Re: I'm quitting University tomorrow.

Postby smiley_cow » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:35 pm

I'm sure you know the situation you're in a lot better than I do, so I don't presume to tell you what to do, but have you considered switching majors?

English is interesting, but as a university subject it's a total bitch. At least that's what I found when I tried to be an English major. Then I switched out of it completely and suddenly school got a lot easier. The problem with English is that it's all opinion and interpretation, and it's stuffy. It's like deep down professors know that they don't have a real subject, so they overcompensate by giving the students impossible assignments, with impossible expectations. Other subjects tend to be much more straightforward with what they want from you and what you're supposed to leave knowing. Personally I think English would work much better if they were a bit more fact based i.e. who are these authors, who wrote what poems, this is gothic, this is an alliteration, etc... instead of just, we think this poem may be because the author was depressed. (Am I just using this post as an opportunity to rant about English as a subject? Possibly)

Anyways, whatever you end up doing, best of luck. Personally I think your best bet is to just win that million dollars. It seems to be the simplest solution.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.
User avatar
smiley_cow
polite but murderous
 
Posts: 6518
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:15 pm
Location: The vast and desolate prairies

Re: I'm quitting University tomorrow.

Postby Kimra » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:33 pm

I like the million dollar question. I use it to get to sleep when I can't switch my brain off... except I use the 50 million dollar scenario because it has less limitations. Counting sheep doesn't work for me, they are too disobedient.

Seems I wasn't clear, but when I'm that messed up I usually don't make sense.

I already have a degree in English and Communications. It's pretty and on my wall, I loved getting it and enjoyed uni. I was often late with assignments but I was inspired and interested in doing them. The kind of assignments Cow mentioned... I'm actually really good at them and enjoy them - but that's just how my brain works.

To become a teacher here you have to follow a degree with a shorter diploma course. This diploma course wants everything my brain can't do. Remembering the name of theorists and statistics. It's boring and painful and depressing. I am quitting this.

I will go back to uni later, if they will let me. I will do my honors for English and then move onto a PHD. I think I will have little troubles with this, as they are things that I will enjoy and love (if they let me in).

Sorry for being unclear... and for the ramble. I try to keep my self-focused rambles to a minimum.
King Prawn
User avatar
Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt
 
Posts: 6872
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:18 am
Location: meanwhile elsewhere

Re: I'm quitting University tomorrow.

Postby Lethal Interjection » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:39 pm

If I had a million dollars, I'd probably go back to school...
User avatar
Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution
 
Posts: 8059
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:17 pm
Location: Behind your ear. It's magic!

Re: I'm quitting University tomorrow.

Postby Kimra » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:43 pm

Lethal Interjection wrote:If I had a million dollars, I'd probably go back to school...

I'd travel the world and spend my time writing stories. Then buy a small property in Australia and make it beautiful with an environment that encouraged native animals to roam as they pleased.
King Prawn
User avatar
Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt
 
Posts: 6872
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:18 am
Location: meanwhile elsewhere

Re: I'm quitting University tomorrow.

Postby Edminster » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:54 pm

I'd probably go get a sandwich.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud
User avatar
Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS
 
Posts: 8849
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:53 pm
Location: Internet

Re: I'm quitting University tomorrow.

Postby smiley_cow » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:57 pm

Kimra wrote:I already have a degree in English and Communications. It's pretty and on my wall, I loved getting it and enjoyed uni. I was often late with assignments but I was inspired and interested in doing them. The kind of assignments Cow mentioned... I'm actually really good at them and enjoy them - but that's just how my brain works.

To become a teacher here you have to follow a degree with a shorter diploma course. This diploma course wants everything my brain can't do. Remembering the name of theorists and statistics. It's boring and painful and depressing. I am quitting this.


Ah, well that's good to hear. It was surprising that French was my subject considering half of it was just English in another language, but there's also a chance some of the English profs at my uni are just insane. But some of the assignments and essays they gave you were nearly impossible, and the mark downs were always based on the most ridiculous things, and almost always opinions. (I have a friend who theorizes that it's because we have no Mass Communications program. Actually her reasoning was really interesting)

I just registered for my first of Education, now you've made me nervous. :P

Actually I've already been warned it's going to be a bit of a slug, but at least a month of each term is spent student teaching, and it is just a two year program, so hopefully I can force myself to just get through it without too many tears. Failing that, my backup plan is going to translating school so I can be the girl who talks over the politicians during question period. :)
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.
User avatar
smiley_cow
polite but murderous
 
Posts: 6518
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:15 pm
Location: The vast and desolate prairies

Re: I'm quitting University tomorrow.

Postby HARDKORE » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:06 pm

well my (incert p word here) (incert princess here) you can do what fells right to you. know that we wont judge you and will still think you are awesome.
William Osler wrote:"We are here to add what we can to life, not to get what we can from life."
User avatar
HARDKORE
The Heavy
 
Posts: 579
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:32 pm
Location: The mirror world

Re: I'm quitting University tomorrow.

Postby Kimra » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:50 pm

smiley_cow wrote:I just registered for my first of Education, now you've made me nervous. :P

Actually I've already been warned it's going to be a bit of a slug, but at least a month of each term is spent student teaching, and it is just a two year program, so hopefully I can force myself to just get through it without too many tears. Failing that, my backup plan is going to translating school so I can be the girl who talks over the politicians during question period. :)

I wouldn't worry too much. My brain is anti-functional, anything set in stone is too hard for me to remember. Just imagine I'm an old time pot addict without having ever done the stuff. I suspect you will be much more capable of doing this work than I ever was. Best of luck to you on the endeavor.

My greatest regret? I just finished paying for the very expensive text books.
King Prawn
User avatar
Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt
 
Posts: 6872
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:18 am
Location: meanwhile elsewhere

Re: I'm quitting University tomorrow.

Postby astasia » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:06 am

Do you have unlimited funds?

I realize university doesn't cost as much other places as it does in the U.S...but I am always astounded by the whole "pay for it and quit part way through" thing. Especially, when, especially in the U.S., you can pretty much only get shit jobs without a degree (the same may be true with a degree...but, at least there is the hopes that it pays slightly better).

If you're doing what's right for you, then, awesome, and it's good you figured it out, now. I just would be worried about the dollar dollar bills y'all.
If we weren't such good friends, I'd wish you were dead.
User avatar
astasia
Is Totally a People
 
Posts: 1259
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:19 am
Location: all the boys.

Re: I'm quitting University tomorrow.

Postby Kimra » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:03 am

astasia wrote:Do you have unlimited funds?

I realize university doesn't cost as much other places as it does in the U.S...but I am always astounded by the whole "pay for it and quit part way through" thing. Especially, when, especially in the U.S., you can pretty much only get shit jobs without a degree (the same may be true with a degree...but, at least there is the hopes that it pays slightly better).

If you're doing what's right for you, then, awesome, and it's good you figured it out, now. I just would be worried about the dollar dollar bills y'all.

If I had unlimited funds I wouldn't be worried that I just spend $100 on a text book I'm not going to use.* The system in Australia is much gentler and kinder than that of America (it would seem).

Firstly the government has a sort of loan system, that means they pay for your courses when doing them, and after you get a job (that pays over a certain amount of money) you start to pay them back. Which means people from any socioeconomic background can go to university in Australia, they simply have to pay it off after they have improved their situation. I think this is a brilliant system, and am very glad for it.

Also we have a census cut off date. Which happens to be the 31st of August. You have until the cut off date to change your mind about being enrolled in a course, so if you find out it's not for you you can drop it without having to pay. After the date anything you are enrolled in goes to that big loan/bill that the government holds onto.

So I wont be charged for anything this semester, which is nice. Yes I'll still have to pay for last semester, but it will be a slow repayment to the government so it's not such an immediate concern. :)

*my house might also have some running hot water, and... door handles, and maybe some of those other mod-cons.
King Prawn
User avatar
Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt
 
Posts: 6872
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:18 am
Location: meanwhile elsewhere

Re: I'm quitting University tomorrow.

Postby HARDKORE » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:40 am

That sounds like a good system. I remember when i tried to get into collage. It was a trip and a half. That is a stroy for another time.

If i had that much money i would just put it away with the rest of my jars of cash burried in the back yard. What is the point of having cash and not having anyone to spend it on.
William Osler wrote:"We are here to add what we can to life, not to get what we can from life."
User avatar
HARDKORE
The Heavy
 
Posts: 579
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:32 pm
Location: The mirror world

Re: I'm quitting University tomorrow.

Postby AHMETxRock » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:41 am

So, like, what are you going to do? Just stop pursuing any degree? Take a break from the pursuit of any one?
Learn ballroom dancing?
Just like an std, will never fully go away.
User avatar
AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop
 
Posts: 5524
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:54 am
Location: Box of Cereal.

Next

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest