I'm quitting University tomorrow.

Everything else.

Moderator: GreenCrayon

HARDKORE
The Heavy

Re: I'm quitting University tomorrow.

Post by HARDKORE »

I have not seen that movie before. I have not had a party before.

Who wants to party in a mtn bunker anyways and why did my family want a nice mtn bunker with gas powered generators anyways.
William Osler wrote: "We are here to add what we can to life, not to get what we can from life."

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Some questions should remain unanswered.

GreenCrayon
Traditional Iconoclast

Post by GreenCrayon »

Yeah, but definitely not that one.

It's on par with "Daddy, why do none of the other kids have horns?"
Pirate.

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

The bad news is you were adopted from your rich aristocrat demon family, but the good news is you've been saved from a life of evil and privilege.

HARDKORE
The Heavy

Post by HARDKORE »

Ok

Kimra would be an awesome person to party with. Then she could learn how collage is around here. Party after party.

The rest of you can come to. All of you but that one girl who gets drunk and tries to use the kitty litter. That is even a bit to much for me.
William Osler wrote: "We are here to add what we can to life, not to get what we can from life."

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

I don't know who that is, but we better not point her out for fear of embarrassing her.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

But now I want to know!

And I'd be terrible to party with. I sit in the corner and sulk, and when I'm bored of that I get out some paper and a pen and write about how much I'm sulking things I notice at the party or things the party has made me think about. Sometimes it can be a dragon... it's not always connected but still rather boring from an observers perspective.
King Prawn

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

I would get drunk and lose my temper. Like I do at every party.

HARDKORE
The Heavy

Post by HARDKORE »

You cant have a good party without a good fight.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

LR is a quintessential party mascot.
King Prawn

Snarky00
/shrug

Post by Snarky00 »

HARDKORE wrote:Ok

Kimra would be an awesome person to party with. Then she could learn how collage is around here. Party after party.

The rest of you can come to. All of you but that one girl who gets drunk and tries to use the kitty litter. That is even a bit to much for me.
Your school impresses me.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

That's because they took the best bits from all of the other schools and pasted them together.

collage != college
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Edminster wrote:That's because they took the best bits from all of the other schools and pasted them together.

collage != college
Well played.
King Prawn

Tundra

Post by Tundra »

Old thread is old, but it really sounds like the university you went to to do this sucks. You shouldn't have to memorise names of the theorists. Vygotsky or whoever, for longer than a week anyway! Things make much more sense in a more practical course. Try shopping around and finding somewhere that better suits you. All teaching degrees aren't made equally. I'm in a very practical course that takes 18 months (grad entry like you are), we did have to do Educational Psychology and Ethics, but we weren't expected to memorise which theory went where, and all the lessons had examples of how we could use it. I had to do all sorts of things that are very hands on. PE and Health? We were actually doing the PE, we were running around catching balls and dancing and learning how to throw and run, and playing versions of chasey (and then teaching groups of children).

The maths and science class involved us playing with blocks and so on, rather than her standing out the front going 'and here's how you teach maths'- we were DOING what she wanted us to teach, as the student!

I have three practicals with kids, (two weeks, five weeks, six weeks) with varying levels of responsibility, plus I taught PE in my first semester. (I hate PE.)

There are essays and assignments but they're mainly relevant, for example, I have to make up a unit plan soon.

On the other hand, the courses at the other two unis in my city...
One is a grad entry one that lasts 1 year, and they cut a whole lot of stuff out to make up for it.
The other is hugely theoretical and takes two years.
I chose the one that was better for me. You can go back to uni and try again.
Yeah, you know you want to talk about creativity. http://www.notebookinhand.com The interpretation of 'creativity' is up to you!

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Yeah, now that I've begun my Education degree (it's been a whole two and a half weeks, yay!) so far my experience is very different than yours. We had to learn Vygotsky too (in fact I spent yesterday reading up on the man), but only inasmuch as we knew his theories and how they will relate to our future students, and most of what we're doing is practical. We do four practicums (one a term, in fact my first one is in three weeks) for a month each. We've already begun PDs (Oh dear lord I have a six hour one this Friday) and it's a lot of work, but everything we do is related to what we'll have to do as teachers so in a way it's worth it. (I need sleeeeep)

I do have two classes that are mainly theory, one is run-of-the-mill psychology class and the other in Instructional Methods, which is a bit heavy, but we're also doing things like planning out units and using the theory we learnt there, so it makes sense. And all my classes involve me practising being a teacher. (So far it's been, first you learn the theory, then you put it into practice. Repeat.)

Anyways, my experience so far resembles that of Tundra's a lot more than it does what's described in this thread up to and including teaching subjects I don't specialize in. (Holy crap, I'm teaching pre-calc in my first praticum) So I guess what I'm saying is I think I'm siding with Tundra, it sounds a lot like the problems were with your program.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.