CALLING ALL DOPPLEGANGERS INTO THIS THREAD! CONTEST! PRIZES!

Everything else.

Moderator: GreenCrayon

User avatar
AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop
Posts: 5515
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:54 am
Location: Box of Cereal.
Contact:

Re: CALLING ALL DOPPLEGANGERS INTO THIS THREAD! CONTEST! PRI

Post by AHMETxRock »

Put on these ear rings! Fusion is the only way we'll beat Cell!
Just like an std, will never fully go away.

User avatar
FengharTheNord
Avord the Nord
Posts: 2365
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:48 pm
Location: location location
Contact:

Re: CALLING ALL DOPPLEGANGERS INTO THIS THREAD! CONTEST! PRI

Post by FengharTheNord »

that fucking fusion dance
DonRetrasado wrote:
Amerika wrote:
DonRetrasado wrote:Well you'd need a sock as big as an airplane to hide my penis. An airplane the size of the universe.
Wait I live in a universe.
bow chicka bow wow

User avatar
Roman Cilicia
Posts: 188
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: CALLING ALL DOPPLEGANGERS INTO THIS THREAD! CONTEST! PRI

Post by Roman Cilicia »

If the temperature this morning is 0 degrees and the Weather Channel says, "it will be twice as cold tomorrow", what will the temperature be?
Around 273° Celsius, or about 460° Fahrenheit.

User avatar
Gangler
watashi wa kawaii desu ne ^o^;
Posts: 906
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:42 pm

Re: CALLING ALL DOPPLEGANGERS INTO THIS THREAD! CONTEST! PRI

Post by Gangler »

That... that would physically cook our flesh wouldn't it? The last thing I smelled would be my own succulent juices sizzling.
Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon
about to eat your face.

User avatar
Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting
Posts: 5283
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: CALLING ALL DOPPLEGANGERS INTO THIS THREAD! CONTEST! PRI

Post by Apocalyptus »

It's too hot to cook a pizza with, even!
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

User avatar
Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS
Posts: 8835
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:53 pm
Location: Internet
Contact:

Re: CALLING ALL DOPPLEGANGERS INTO THIS THREAD! CONTEST! PRI

Post by Edminster »

Apocalyptus wrote:It's too hot to cook a pizza with, even!
actually no that's about the proper temperature to cook pizza

assuming those are positive numbers which i doubt seeing as how those two are only equivalent in the negative side of the scale

and also absolute zero, more or less
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

User avatar
Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea
Posts: 3477
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:41 pm
Location: The Perfect Stillness of the Deep
Contact:

Re: CALLING ALL DOPPLEGANGERS INTO THIS THREAD! CONTEST! PRI

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

That's because zero Fahrenheit isn't the same temperature as zero Celsius. The question didn't specify what the original temperature was measured in.

It would make a lot more sense to define coldness as the inverse temperature, though.
So twice as cold as 0F would be -230F, and twice as cold as 0C would be -137C.
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

User avatar
Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank
Posts: 1572
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:17 pm

Re: CALLING ALL DOPPLEGANGERS INTO THIS THREAD! CONTEST! PRI

Post by Kaharz »

Well if you really want to pick nits, "cold" is not a thing and you can't have twice of it. It is the absence of heat (or energy in general depending on how you are using it)

There is a word for concepts like cold, dark, etc. Something we treat as a thing with existence even though it is the lack of existence of another thing... I wish I could remember it.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

User avatar
Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea
Posts: 3477
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:41 pm
Location: The Perfect Stillness of the Deep
Contact:

Re: CALLING ALL DOPPLEGANGERS INTO THIS THREAD! CONTEST! PRI

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

But if you say that, you're letting the question win!
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.

User avatar
Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting
Posts: 5283
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: CALLING ALL DOPPLEGANGERS INTO THIS THREAD! CONTEST! PRI

Post by Apocalyptus »

Edminster wrote:
Apocalyptus wrote:It's too hot to cook a pizza with, even!
actually no that's about the proper temperature to cook pizza

assuming those are positive numbers which i doubt seeing as how those two are only equivalent in the negative side of the scale

and also absolute zero, more or less
Well I usually cook pizza at 200 C, or else the bottom is likely to burn. Maybe I have some sort of super oven, though...
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

User avatar
Gangler
watashi wa kawaii desu ne ^o^;
Posts: 906
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:42 pm

Re: CALLING ALL DOPPLEGANGERS INTO THIS THREAD! CONTEST! PRI

Post by Gangler »

Kaharz wrote:Well if you really want to pick nits, "cold" is not a thing and you can't have twice of it. It is the absence of heat (or energy in general depending on how you are using it)

There is a word for concepts like cold, dark, etc. Something we treat as a thing with existence even though it is the lack of existence of another thing... I wish I could remember it.
Admittedly I failed that unit in ninth grade science, but my impression was that it really all just measures the rate at which the particles vibrate. If they're going fast that's hot, if they're going slow that's cold. It's not really the absence of heat until you hit absolute zero. Until you hit that it's just a sliding gradient. It's not like light and dark where just removing the photon rays provides us with darkness. Cold is as much a presence as heat.

Once again, I failed that unit, so if I'm wrong I'm wrong, but that's the impression I got.
Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon
about to eat your face.

User avatar
DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados
Posts: 2845
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:27 am
Location: ¡Canadia!

Re: CALLING ALL DOPPLEGANGERS INTO THIS THREAD! CONTEST! PRI

Post by DonRetrasado »

You really have to consider the semantics of "cold". What is "cold" relative to? We might consider setting a "neutral temperature point" where the temperature is neither hot or cold, at, say, room temperature (approx. 20 degrees celsius). Therefore, if the current temperature is 0 degrees celsius, then "twice as cold" would be -20 degrees celsius. We could have easily defined cold some other way as well to provide a different result.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

User avatar
GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin
Posts: 2126
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:26 am
Location: Paradise City?

Re: CALLING ALL DOPPLEGANGERS INTO THIS THREAD! CONTEST! PRI

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

You know... If you wanted to, you could create your own scale of temperature, assign measurements to it, find room temperature on your scale and double it, producing a number which you could then legitimately claim it is 'twice as hot'. It would only actually be twice as hot if your scale started from absolute zero.
If you really wanted to double the heat of an object or environment you could technically suffuse it with an amount of heat energy equivalent to that which it already contains, but I doubt this would have any effect which could be described linearly; that is, it would have twice the heat energy overall but it would not necessarily transfer twice as much. Thus it would not seem twice as hot or have twice the effect upon your cooking, which I gather to be the point. Halving its heat would act likewise. Especially since a change in heat means a change in the structure, state and expansion/contraction of the object!
BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAHAHAH HAAAAR HEHEHEAHAAAAAH HAHAHAHAH
Note: We describe things as 'cold' when we notice that we are transferring more heat to them than they are to us. Cold is matter of human perspective based on the body heat of the tactile senses of the part of our body an object touches! Fooooooooools! :lol:
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.

User avatar
DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados
Posts: 2845
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:27 am
Location: ¡Canadia!

Re: CALLING ALL DOPPLEGANGERS INTO THIS THREAD! CONTEST! PRI

Post by DonRetrasado »

GUTCHUCKER wrote:Note: We describe things as 'cold' when we notice that we are transferring more heat to them than they are to us. Cold is matter of human perspective based on the body heat of the tactile senses of the part of our body an object touches! Fooooooooools! :lol:
Not necessarily. There are two common exceptions; when a human reports being cold when they actually aren't (ex. in the case of fever chills, when the body temperature is actually rising), and also to describe something that we are not actually actively losing heat to. Ex. "that room is cold, I'm glad we don't have class in there today"; we are not actually losing heat, but we are aware of the fact that the room is of a below-normal temperature (all relative to the speaker).

I dislike conversations like these because they all assume people use language in a very different way than they actually do. I liked studying semantics because it is way more precise according to how people actually speak. In the logical interpretation of things you can't just assume "this is cold" means the same thing as something being cold without a little more rigor (and, of course, we are aware of cases in which the meaning of a sentence cannot be taken for granted like this).
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

User avatar
GUTCHUCKER
Gotchucker's less handsome twin
Posts: 2126
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:26 am
Location: Paradise City?

Re: CALLING ALL DOPPLEGANGERS INTO THIS THREAD! CONTEST! PRI

Post by GUTCHUCKER »

When your body temperature rises you feel cold because your hypothalamus sets your intended body temperature higher than normal. It then goes: oh shit, you're not hot enough! Better raise your fur to trap air for insulation, cut off some blood to your extremities and save body heat for your organs. Oh shit, your environment is colder than your extremities and they aren't getting enough heat from endothermy! Go find somewhere warmer!
Then if you go somewhere warmer, you feel warmer.
We get used to losing heat at certain rates too. Our body can deal with the problem without bothering our consciousness with it.
I would continue my argument but I have to go now ciao!
Edit: You know what, fuck all this, it's too complicated a system to describe/argue over without researching it deeply. My point is that 'hot' and 'cold' are relative and generally perceived by humans via rate of heat transfer.
Last edited by GUTCHUCKER on Thu May 12, 2011 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Datanazush wrote:I ship Mohammed and Jehova.

Post Reply