Alcohol talkin'.

Everything else.

Moderator: GreenCrayon

Alcohol talkin'.

Postby DonRetrasado » Fri May 11, 2012 2:49 am

We've been talking a bit on the subject of our favourite drinks for a bit so I thought that maybe we should have a dedicated thread.

Lethal Interjection wrote:Also, while I don't count it as it isn't apple, I did quite like Sir Perry's Pear Cider.

Rekorderlig makes a good pear cider too. They have one flavoured with berries and one flavoured with elderflower, and they're both very sweet and flavourful, though they don't really have the same "cidery" taste as apple ciders. Apple cider is also on the ingredients but I think it's just for flavour and colour.

I also bought the Waupoos Cider today. It was pretty tough, as it only comes in a 4-pack and it really doesn't fit in my bag (I don't drive). They're chilling in my fridge now and I'll try one later. I also saw bottles of County Cider for sale; I might pick one up later as they're made by the same company apparently.

EDIT: Incidentally this thread is for appreciation of different alcohol. If you want to talk about how trashed you are go here. If you make a mistake I'll FREAK OUT
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.

Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.
User avatar
DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados
 
Posts: 2845
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:27 am
Location: ¡Canada!

Re: Alcohol talkin'.

Postby Apocalyptus » Fri May 11, 2012 3:40 am

I don't usually like Rekordelig as it's too soft drink-ey for me, but the 'Winter Cider' is very nice. It's the apple cider with cinnamon and elderberry I think.

Edit: Oh, plus a few weekends ago I was persuaded to try a few shots of Spirytus, which was so strong it didn't have any taste at all.
The sensation of the skin in my mouth drying out as I drank it was pretty interesting, however.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."
User avatar
Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting
 
Posts: 5301
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Alcohol talkin'.

Postby Kovvy » Fri May 11, 2012 4:48 am

Fox Barrel makes some pretty nice pear ciders.
User avatar
Kovvy
Bride Of Galactus
 
Posts: 1074
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:34 pm
Location: Deepest darkest Michigan

Re: Alcohol talkin'.

Postby DonRetrasado » Fri May 11, 2012 4:57 am

Waupoos is pretty good.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.

Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.
User avatar
DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados
 
Posts: 2845
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:27 am
Location: ¡Canada!

Re: Alcohol talkin'.

Postby Sahan » Fri May 11, 2012 5:45 am

There's a small meadery down South of perth which makes amazing mead. I doubt it goes international but it goes under the name of Bartholomew's meadery.
Destructicus wrote:Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?
User avatar
Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."
 
Posts: 4367
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:20 am
Location: Perth, Australia

Re: Alcohol talkin'.

Postby DonRetrasado » Fri May 11, 2012 5:59 am

I don't think I've ever seen mead for sale anywhere. I bet it tastes grosser and less like beer than pop culture about vikings has led me to believe.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.

Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.
User avatar
DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados
 
Posts: 2845
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:27 am
Location: ¡Canada!

Re: Alcohol talkin'.

Postby Apocalyptus » Fri May 11, 2012 6:12 am

Sahan wrote:There's a small meadery down South of perth which makes amazing mead. I doubt it goes international but it goes under the name of Bartholomew's meadery.

I got all excited about the free shipping to anywhere in Australia, and then saw it's only if you order a dozen bottles.
Given that I've never tried mead before spending $100+ on it probably wouldn't be a good idea...
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."
User avatar
Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting
 
Posts: 5301
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Alcohol talkin'.

Postby Sahan » Fri May 11, 2012 11:01 am

Well, the Sweet Forest mead I tried is actually very palatable. My friends and I bought a couple of bottles last summer holidays, and wished we had bought more. Some of them went ahead and ordered the 12 bottles when they went home. It is sweet but not overpoweringly so, and much like drinking nectar. I didn't know Vikings were portrayed to drink mead and would actually seriously doubt it. It doesn't seem to be at all manly.
Destructicus wrote:Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?
User avatar
Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."
 
Posts: 4367
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:20 am
Location: Perth, Australia

Re: Alcohol talkin'.

Postby Kaharz » Fri May 11, 2012 11:08 am

Apocalyptus wrote:Oh, plus a few weekends ago I was persuaded to try a few shots of Spirytus, which was so strong it didn't have any taste at all.
The sensation of the skin in my mouth drying out as I drank it was pretty interesting, however.


One of the bartenders my girlfriend works with brought back poteen from Ireland when he went to visit family for the holidays. It was one of the most delicious things I've ever tasted. US moonshine usually tastes like kerosene, but this was mostly flavorless with the slightest hint of sweet.

I'm currently trying to track down a bottle of Redbreast 12 year Cask Strength Irish whiskey. I'm a huge fan of the regular stuff so I'm itching to try the undiluted version. It only appears to be available in the US by dubious mail order though. Hopefully next year it will be on shelves.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.
User avatar
Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank
 
Posts: 1572
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:17 pm

Re: Alcohol talkin'.

Postby Lethal Interjection » Fri May 11, 2012 8:47 pm

Apocalyptus wrote:I don't usually like Rekordelig as it's too soft drink-ey for me, but the 'Winter Cider' is very nice. It's the apple cider with cinnamon and elderberry I think.


I feel the same about Growers. Felt like a super sweet wine-cooler.

Also, your 'winter cider' reminded me that the guys who make Waupoos also make an 'ice cider' (like ice wine, but, you know...) which I very much would like to try.
User avatar
Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution
 
Posts: 8059
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:17 pm
Location: Behind your ear. It's magic!

Re: Alcohol talkin'.

Postby sotic » Sun May 13, 2012 6:08 am

As stated earlier, I'm not a connoisseur by any stretch* but I think champagne is freaking awesome. It tastes great and goes down like soda.** I had five glasses tonight at my reception after my sister's choir performance (which was even better than the champagne).

*What's the rung below 'novice'? I'm that.

**I drink champagne way too fast.
Wind catches lily / Scatt'ring petals to the wind: / Segmentation fault
User avatar
sotic
[Insert Here]
 
Posts: 325
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:55 am
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Alcohol talkin'.

Postby Oldrac the Chitinous » Sun May 13, 2012 6:32 am

sotic wrote:What's the rung below 'novice'? I'm that.


I think it's "mook."
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.
User avatar
Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea
 
Posts: 3489
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:41 pm
Location: The Perfect Stillness of the Deep

Re: Alcohol talkin'.

Postby Kaharz » Sun May 13, 2012 1:17 pm

sotic wrote:As stated earlier, I'm not a connoisseur by any stretch* but I think champagne is freaking awesome. It tastes great and goes down like soda.** I had five glasses tonight at my reception after my sister's choir performance (which was even better than the champagne).

*What's the rung below 'novice'? I'm that.

**I drink champagne way too fast.


When it comes to wines, the rank below novice is "unpretentious imbiber." I urge you to avoid striving for a higher rank and remain happy where you are. Your non-wine snob friends will thank you. The only characteristic you should judge a wine on is whether you like it or not.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.
User avatar
Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank
 
Posts: 1572
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:17 pm

Re: Alcohol talkin'.

Postby DonRetrasado » Sun May 13, 2012 4:36 pm

As someone who knows almost nothing about wine, I did have to explain to my friend who is "getting into wine" what a rosé is.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.

Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.
User avatar
DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados
 
Posts: 2845
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:27 am
Location: ¡Canada!

Re: Alcohol talkin'.

Postby Edminster » Sun May 13, 2012 9:50 pm

I don't drink, but this is I think relevant and has the bonus effect of making super-snobs angry at you:

ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud
User avatar
Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS
 
Posts: 8849
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:53 pm
Location: Internet

Next

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron