Stilton

Everything else.

Moderator: GreenCrayon

Re: Stilton

Postby Liriodendron_fagotti » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:56 am

Halloumi is popular in Australia, which is nice. Slightly less expensive than in the US.

No montery jack though, so that's a bummer. I found a Kiwi cheese that's kinda close. Sharp (tasty) cheese isn't really my thing and it's pretty much the norm here.
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.
User avatar
Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)
 
Posts: 1227
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:34 pm
Location: :noitacoL

Re: Stilton

Postby Apocalyptus » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:24 am

Haloumi is very popular here, I even found a place that sells it fairly cheap in one kilo buckets. What kind of cheese is Monterey Jack? Is it one of those orange ones I see so much of in pictures of American food, or is that just Velveeta that is orange?
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."
User avatar
Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting
 
Posts: 5301
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Stilton

Postby Lethal Interjection » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:20 am

Apocalyptus wrote:Haloumi is very popular here, I even found a place that sells it fairly cheap in one kilo buckets. What kind of cheese is Monterey Jack? Is it one of those orange ones I see so much of in pictures of American food, or is that just Velveeta that is orange?


It is a white (primarily, anyways) mild cheese that is great for melting.

As for orange cheeses... Cheddar is very often orange. As is just about every fake cheese (Velveeta, such as).
User avatar
Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution
 
Posts: 8059
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:17 pm
Location: Behind your ear. It's magic!

Re: Stilton

Postby Liriodendron_fagotti » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:50 am

Apocalyptus wrote:Haloumi is very popular here, I even found a place that sells it fairly cheap in one kilo buckets. What kind of cheese is Monterey Jack? Is it one of those orange ones I see so much of in pictures of American food, or is that just Velveeta that is orange?

I want to find that place.

Lethal is correct about MJ. It is the best cheese for making nachos, and for Tex-Mex food in general.
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.
User avatar
Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)
 
Posts: 1227
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:34 pm
Location: :noitacoL

Re: Stilton

Postby Kimra » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:10 am

Apocalyptus wrote:Haloumi is very popular here, I even found a place that sells it fairly cheap in one kilo buckets. What kind of cheese is Monterey Jack? Is it one of those orange ones I see so much of in pictures of American food, or is that just Velveeta that is orange?


Monteray Jack is sort of what everyone tells you to use for mexican cooking (which Liri said). The cheese that I get recommended to me by mexican stores around here is Colby. I'm not sure how it compares, but there you go.
King Prawn
User avatar
Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt
 
Posts: 6872
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:18 am
Location: meanwhile elsewhere

Re: Stilton

Postby Apocalyptus » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:26 am

Lethal Interjection wrote:As for orange cheeses... Cheddar is very often orange.

I see. Cheddar is the most common cheese here (a lot of us just call it tasty cheese for some reason) and it is never orange. Actually, the only orange cheese I remember seeing in real life is the 'Old English' cheese at Subway.

Kimra wrote: The cheese that I get recommended to me by mexican stores around here is Colby. I'm not sure how it compares, but there you go.

Isn't Colby just regular cheddar cheese, or do they have a different variety I don't know about? I am always keen to try new cheeses, so I guess I will ask around next time I visit the Mexican grocer near my Mum's house.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."
User avatar
Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting
 
Posts: 5301
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Stilton

Postby Kimra » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:34 am

I have no idea.

I have taken to buying and eating bocconcini as is (straight out of the tub). I am not sure where this stems from but I know everyone treats me like a leper for it.
King Prawn
User avatar
Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt
 
Posts: 6872
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:18 am
Location: meanwhile elsewhere

Re: Stilton

Postby Liriodendron_fagotti » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:45 am

Kimra wrote:I have no idea.

I have taken to buying and eating bocconcini as is (straight out of the tub). I am not sure where this stems from but I know everyone treats me like a leper for it.

I would totally do that if it wasn't so pricey. Hopefully I can indulge my cheese teeth more once I get a regular job.

Colby is similar to MJ - it's often combined with it to make Colby Jack.

Feta cheese here is a lot more tofu-like in consistency, from what I've eaten. What we get in the US (and in Greece) is a lot more crumbly. And saltier, I think, but that might vary more. Tasty-ness is not my favourite. When it comes to general, everyday eating cheeses, I like them mild and meltable.
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.
User avatar
Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)
 
Posts: 1227
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:34 pm
Location: :noitacoL

Re: Stilton

Postby Apocalyptus » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:43 am

Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:Colby is similar to MJ - it's often combined with it to make Colby Jack.

Ok, I think I've gotten confused; there's a brand of cheese here called 'Mainland Colby', which is usually cheddar. I haven't come across an actual variety of cheese that's called Colby, although I'll keep an eye out for it.

Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:Feta cheese here is a lot more tofu-like in consistency, from what I've eaten. What we get in the US (and in Greece) is a lot more crumbly. And saltier, I think, but that might vary more.

Have you tried Greek or Bulgarian feta here? There is a huge amount of variation in texture and saltiness between kinds of feta you can buy, even just at supermarket delis. I don't like the texture of Australian feta all that much, I prefer Danish which is creamier and milder.

Kimra wrote:I have taken to buying and eating bocconcini as is (straight out of the tub). I am not sure where this stems from but I know everyone treats me like a leper for it.

Um, that is legitimately the best way to eat bocconcini. There are other nice ways of eating it, but straight out of the tub is the best.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."
User avatar
Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting
 
Posts: 5301
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Stilton

Postby Liriodendron_fagotti » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:52 am

I did the tub thing. One of my French flatmates got some and she gave me leave to eat a couple. Will check out other feta varieties.

Is "pide" the Australian transliteration of "pita" or is it something else?
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.
User avatar
Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)
 
Posts: 1227
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:34 pm
Location: :noitacoL

Re: Stilton

Postby Kimra » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:24 pm

Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:Is "pide" the Australian transliteration of "pita" or is it something else?


Isn't pita a type of bread pocket that you can put fillings into?

Where as pide is like a doughy pizza with fillings cooked into it?

I get this for pita, and this for pide. Which is how I think of them.
King Prawn
User avatar
Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt
 
Posts: 6872
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:18 am
Location: meanwhile elsewhere

Re: Stilton

Postby Liriodendron_fagotti » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:43 pm

Kimra wrote:
Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:Is "pide" the Australian transliteration of "pita" or is it something else?


Isn't pita a type of bread pocket that you can put fillings into?

Where as pide is like a doughy pizza with fillings cooked into it?

I get this for pita, and this for pide. Which is how I think of them.

Ah, yep. I thought it might be the same thing since I've seen feta spelled as "fetta".
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.
User avatar
Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)
 
Posts: 1227
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:34 pm
Location: :noitacoL

Re: Stilton

Postby Kimra » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:21 pm

Those are two entirely different foods.... How are they the 'same'?

Also you see 'feta' spelled as 'fetta' sometimes because we import food from other countries? I've never seen it spelt with an extra 't' but I wouldn't be shocked.
King Prawn
User avatar
Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt
 
Posts: 6872
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:18 am
Location: meanwhile elsewhere

Re: Stilton

Postby Liriodendron_fagotti » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:05 pm

Kimra wrote:Those are two entirely different foods.... How are they the 'same'?

Also you see 'feta' spelled as 'fetta' sometimes because we import food from other countries? I've never seen it spelt with an extra 't' but I wouldn't be shocked.

I thought that since feta was spelled more than one way, pita might also be spelled differently. We import plenty of food, but I'd never seen feta with an extra 't'.
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.
User avatar
Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)
 
Posts: 1227
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:34 pm
Location: :noitacoL

Re: Stilton

Postby Apocalyptus » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:29 am

Kimra wrote:
Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:Is "pide" the Australian transliteration of "pita" or is it something else?


Isn't pita a type of bread pocket that you can put fillings into?

Where as pide is like a doughy pizza with fillings cooked into it?

I get this for pita, and this for pide. Which is how I think of them.

I always thought they were the same thing, but that distinction makes a lot more sense.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."
User avatar
Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting
 
Posts: 5301
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: Melbourne

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron