Movie Remakes

Moderator: Lethal Interjection

HARDKORE
The Heavy

Movie Remakes

Post by HARDKORE »

I dont like them. Most of the time i get them mixed up with the origional. I seen haloween but i could not take it. The new star trek and the new escape from new york probably wont be worth crap.
William Osler wrote: "We are here to add what we can to life, not to get what we can from life."

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

The "remade" Ocean's 11 was fantastic. The original was definitely good, but the remake was certainly more enjoyable.

3:10 to Yuma was quite good, though I never saw the original.

Other than that I can't think of any remakes that I've seen and enjoyed.
I mean, a good majority of them seem to be of the more comedic variety*, and I'm not much into them, for the most part** or of the horror genre, which I also have no love for.

*And the majority of those seem to involve quickly digressing black comedians in fat suits, or maybe with talking animals.
** I can't stand parody movies (with the exception of 75% of the sum total of the Austin Powers movies, and Hot Fuzz/Shaun of the Dead, though I don't think the latter count, exactly), romantic comedies, ethnic comedies (using stereotypes to essentially drive the story, see the Rush Hours or anything with Eddie Griffin), or gross-out movies (American Pie, as an example). That leaves very little, as you might be able to tell.

ruotwocone
sock-puppet of the infinite

Post by ruotwocone »

king kong was reasonable. also the charlton heston ben hur was good (a remake of a 1925 version that also is apparently quite good). but yeah, remakes stink for the most part

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

ruotwocone wrote:king kong was reasonable. also the charlton heston ben hur was good (a remake of a 1925 version that also is apparently quite good). but yeah, remakes stink for the most part
There were some very small parts of King Kong that I liked. Most of them were either CGI related or Jack Black related. On the whole, I would've liked the movie if it was about an hour and a half shorter than it was.

Raptor_Jesus

Post by Raptor_Jesus »

In general, I dislike remakes, because they always lose something the original had going for it. The Hills Have Eyes, for example. Sure, it had better production values, and more gore, but it lost the horror/comedy fusion made by terrible funds, bad make-up, and campy acting.

PandaMan

Post by PandaMan »

has anyone seen. I am Legend. I actually enjoyed it but I have heard mixed reviews about it.

HARDKORE
The Heavy

Post by HARDKORE »

The new hulk movie looks like it will be good but not the new punisher. both are not parts of the story line, they are both set to be remakes.
William Osler wrote: "We are here to add what we can to life, not to get what we can from life."

TwoBuy
Clinically Casbah Rockin'

Post by TwoBuy »

PandaMan wrote:has anyone seen. I am Legend. I actually enjoyed it but I have heard mixed reviews about it.
eh. It was in the ok/good category. I won't ever spend money on it again, but I'd probably watch it if a friend rented it.
Stories from 19-yo mistresses
Hey girl whats up
A drunk driver hit my blind, 12-yo sister on her way home from school. Im @ the funeral
hahaha
That wasnt a joke dick-hole
Oh
Sooooo... my gf will be out of town Wednesday. U gunna be back by then?

Lottel

Post by Lottel »

Remakes aren't a bad thing. Somethings just aren't possible once upon a time.

Just as long as the movies are actually remakes and not reimaginings... Damn directors. What gave them the idea they have artistic freedom? I oughta stab a jerk or two to put them in their place.

Also: LOTR movies were technically remakes. I vote remakes are great just because those movies.
No Tom, but still
How DARE you bring joy and laughter to the smiling faces of children everywhere. Purveyors of hope and all that is pure in the world, DIE DIE DIE!!

Raptor_Jesus

Post by Raptor_Jesus »

Lottel wrote: Also: LOTR movies were technically remakes. I vote remakes are great just because those movies.
No Tom, but still
They lacked awesome songs like Frodo of the Nine Fingers and Where there's a Whip there's a Way.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Lottel wrote:Remakes aren't a bad thing. Somethings just aren't possible once upon a time.

Just as long as the movies are actually remakes and not reimaginings... Damn directors. What gave them the idea they have artistic freedom? I oughta stab a jerk or two to put them in their place.

Also: LOTR movies were technically remakes. I vote remakes are great just because those movies.
No Tom, but still
If those are the remakes, I don't want to see the originals. The new movies are too awesome to watch a lesser, crappy version of them. (Is a semi-big LoTR nerd)*

*I have 13 out of around 17 of the books
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

Lottel

Post by Lottel »

I have most books as well. oh... And I wrote a english-to-elvish/elvish-to-english dictionary with all the scripts and some dwarvish and black speech.

The originals are either the cartoon version or they had a small budget one a couple of years ago (like 10,15, or whatever. I'm not a fucking calender) They...well, I'll put it like this... I'd rather watch a movie starring Jar Jar Binks than watch the live action one.
How DARE you bring joy and laughter to the smiling faces of children everywhere. Purveyors of hope and all that is pure in the world, DIE DIE DIE!!

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Another pseudo-remake that they made was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Pseudo because the first one strayed greatly from the book, while there was greater attempts for the second.
And think both are great.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Lethal Interjection wrote:Another pseudo-remake that they made was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Pseudo because the first one strayed greatly from the book, while there was greater attempts for the second.
And think both are great.
I'm not a fan of Johnny Depp. Ever since he grew to teeny-bopper stardom, and every woman has a crush on him, I've lost what respect I had for him*

*not much in the first place
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

ruotwocone
sock-puppet of the infinite

Post by ruotwocone »

mountainmage wrote:I'm not a fan of Johnny Depp. Ever since he grew to teeny-bopper stardom, and every woman has a crush on him, I've lost what respect I had for him
i think you may be backwards here... that's how he started, and then developed into an actor. Also Tim Burton is the man and Johnny seems to be the only person that really gets his visions (also Helena Bohnam Carter seems to... and Danny DeVito in Batman Returns, but still)