10 favourite PC games?

Moderator: Lethal Interjection

Husper

10 favourite PC games?

Post by Husper »

Would have included console games as well but I dont like them. Probably forgetting some games that I used to play and love so might amend the list in the future.

Here are mine:

1. Rome Total War/Medieval 2 Total War
- I love strategy games, and am a bit of a history geek so these are great for me. Looking forward to Empire Total War.

2. Call of Duty Series (and Medal of Honor)
- I like WW2 shooting games, the history thing again, so these were lots of fun for me. Not tried number 4 much, but what I have played of it at friends it seems like great fun

3. Fallout Series
- One of the best RPG games ever. If you have never played them then... just get out. Anyone else been waiting these 7 odd years for number 3 to come out?

4. Star Wars Galaxies
- Yes yes, a MMORPG, booooo hissssss. Yet I loved this game, and I could spend hours writing here what was great about it, or cursing SOE bitterly for screwing it up. I loved the player economy the most, made billions of credits from it. Plus I sold my account for $600 in the end!

5. Age of Empires
- I only ever properly played the first one but it was my favourite game for years. Played it lots online, Yamoto Horse archers for the win.

6. The Civilization series.
- There have been too many and each of them has sucked up copious amounts of my time, though I have not played the most recent couple.

7. Battliefield Vietnam
- Something about this game hooked me, probably the running through the jungle with a hand full of mines, running up to an american tank and hopping on, dropping one, being propelled 100 feet into the air when said tank explodes, only to happily parachute back down to do it again. It really never got old.

8. Dungeon Keeper 1&2
- Great basic fun, create a dungeon and invade other dungeons.

9. Warcraft III
- This one took lots of my free time playing it online. Well made game.

10. World of Warcraft.
- Another MMORPG on the list. I did play this for quite a long time, and it did suck me in to its belly and slowly wear away my social life. But I have been clean for about a year now, so its all good. Felt it should be on the list because well, its probably the game I have played the most out of all of them, and it really is a very well made game, so well made it becomes a lifestyle. In the end found unless I was willing to play 3 nights a week for 6 hours straight I would not be able to join the 40 man raids that go to the best dungeons. I was not willing. Think its changed now and they raised the level people can go up to, which I think is silly as whats the point of spending all that time getting the best items if they will just be supersceded by other stuff. And as the game does with everything, its taken the biggest description here.

So thats 3 RTS, 2 TBS, 2 FPS 2 MMORPG and 1 RPG.

No Baulders Gate or Diablo on my list, just never got into those games I guess. Company of Heros would have come 11th, and then Red Alert, though I mainly played the console version of that.
Last edited by Husper on Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Frostbite
I dunno.

Post by Frostbite »

I spit at console RTS games.
Doin' podcasts before they were cool.

ruotwocone
sock-puppet of the infinite

Post by ruotwocone »

Frostbite wrote:I spit at console RTS games.
i see none of those on the above list...

here's mine in no particular order

1. Age of Empires II
2. Knights and Merchants
3. Warcraft II
4. Team Fortress games
5. Half-Life
6. Legend of Zelda: a Link to the Past
7. Final Fantasy Tactics
8. Final Fantasy IV
9. Patrician 2
10. Shadow of the Colossus

so that makes 4 RPGs, 2 FPSs, and 4 RTSs. Obviously this list is subject to change once I remember other games I like better.

Husper

Post by Husper »

ohh Knights and Merchants, that was an amazing game, though I always got thrashed in the later levels. I just really enjoyed making a massive town then would get demolished by the computers army. Definately going to have to dig that one out again, if I can find it. Might have to buy it again, thats if they still sell it.

EDIT: Just looked online, people seem to be charging £20 for it. I hate that, when a game gets old and out of production people end up charging more than it cost in the first place.

Frostbite
I dunno.

Post by Frostbite »

ruotwocone wrote:
Frostbite wrote:I spit at console RTS games.
i see none of those on the above list...

"...and then Red Alert, though I mainly played the console version of that."

Then I s'pose you need to learn to read again.

Husper

Post by Husper »

It was 12 years ago, I was young, forgive me!

ruotwocone

Post by ruotwocone »

Frostbite wrote:"...and then Red Alert, though I mainly played the console version of that."

honorable mentions don't count

Husper

Post by Husper »

ruotwocone wrote:
Frostbite wrote:"...and then Red Alert, though I mainly played the console version of that."

honorable mentions don't count
Haha unnecessary censoring at its best

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

I mostly just play ROMs. But I also play Quake III: Team Arena from time to time. Also, I own 3 different civilization games (Alpha Centauri, Civilization II: Test of Time, and Civilization III).
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

ruotwocone

Post by ruotwocone »

mountainmage wrote:I mostly just play ROMs. But I also play Quake III: Team Arena from time to time. Also, I own 3 different civilization games (Alpha Centauri, Civilization II: Test of Time, and Civilization III).
what the smell are ROMs? like emulated games on your computer ROMs? or is it some kind of game abbreviation i am unawares of?

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

ruotwocone wrote:
mountainmage wrote:I mostly just play ROMs. But I also play Quake III: Team Arena from time to time. Also, I own 3 different civilization games (Alpha Centauri, Civilization II: Test of Time, and Civilization III).
what the smell are ROMs? like emulated games on your computer ROMs? or is it some kind of game abbreviation i am unawares of?
Yeah, they're emulated games for your PC. The latest ROM I've been playing is Chrono Trigger for the SNES. Great game, I already have like 20 hours clocked in on it. Highly recommended for any of you fellow rom-ers.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

TwoBuy
Clinically Casbah Rockin'

Post by TwoBuy »

mountainmage wrote:Yeah, they're emulated games for your PC.
I moded my xbox some time ago and, having played emulated console games on my computer before, find it a much better system for that sort of thing. Basically because it still uses a proper console controller, but you can still have the benefit of playing games from the hard drive, and the use of save-states.
Stories from 19-yo mistresses
Hey girl whats up
A drunk driver hit my blind, 12-yo sister on her way home from school. Im @ the funeral
hahaha
That wasnt a joke dick-hole
Oh
Sooooo... my gf will be out of town Wednesday. U gunna be back by then?

ruotwocone

Post by ruotwocone »

TwoBuy wrote:I moded my xbox some time ago and, having played emulated console games on my computer before, find it a much better system for that sort of thing. Basically because it still uses a proper console controller, but you can still have the benefit of playing games from the hard drive, and the use of save-states.
i have what is essentially a PS2 controller for my computer that works awesome for emulator games.

Frostbite
I dunno.

Post by Frostbite »

ruotwocone wrote:
TwoBuy wrote:I moded my xbox some time ago and, having played emulated console games on my computer before, find it a much better system for that sort of thing. Basically because it still uses a proper console controller, but you can still have the benefit of playing games from the hard drive, and the use of save-states.
i have what is essentially a PS2 controller for my computer that works awesome for emulator games.
And it isn't the size of your head.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Frostbite wrote:And it isn't the size of your head.
Only the original xbox control was enormous (I actually have a fat xbox controller), microsoft later released a new one that wasn't enormous.