GTA4

Moderator: Lethal Interjection

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Lethal Interjection wrote:You don't really improve your character in GTA, unless I am mistaken. Because every time you get taken to the hospital or police station you lose what you had. It would be cool if you could get a little bit faster or stronger (by working out or whatever), but only minorly or else it would seem like a very different game.
You can increase your "stats" by doing missions and by working out. If you complete all the ambulences you can run without getting tired, or if you work out your stamina/strength does go up, if you swim a certain distance, you can stay underwater longer, etc, etc.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

mountainmage wrote:You can increase your "stats" by doing missions and by working out. If you complete all the ambulences you can run without getting tired, or if you work out your stamina/strength does go up, if you swim a certain distance, you can stay underwater longer, etc, etc.
Ahh, I clearly haven't played it enough. I wasn't surprised about the working out being a part of it, but I didn't know about the rest.

Frostbite
I dunno.

Post by Frostbite »

The more exciting game releases are coming this summer or immediately after. Around the June-September area I will be wetting my pants with joy/anticipation for Metal Gear Solid 4 and Spore.
Doin' podcasts before they were cool.

Husper

Post by Husper »

mountainmage wrote:Dude, the prostitutes give BLOWJOBS. What could be better?*

*other than an actual blowjob, of course.
The reason why I would prefer playing real life, than GTA life.

TwoBuy
Clinically Casbah Rockin'

Post by TwoBuy »

Husper wrote:

Dude! I didn't know you were a prostitute! What union do you belong to?
Stories from 19-yo mistresses
Hey girl whats up
A drunk driver hit my blind, 12-yo sister on her way home from school. Im @ the funeral
hahaha
That wasnt a joke dick-hole
Oh
Sooooo... my gf will be out of town Wednesday. U gunna be back by then?

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

I just talked with my buddy who played for an hour or so this afternoon. He was kind of annoyed, because unlike its predecessors (I can only really speak for Vice City on this) it actually starts up with story right away (with Vice you had to go to a guy to really start the story). He was hoping to just mess around with it a bit, check out the graphics and whatnot, but instead had to actually sit through plot.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Oh noes, plot in a vidja game?! What's next, 3d graphics? :O

All joking aside, I like plot-driven games. As long as no one spoils it for me, of course!
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

TwoBuy wrote:
Husper wrote:

Dude! I didn't know you were a prostitute! What union do you belong to?
Awwww.... you guys have something in common*!

*Insert obligatory joke about twobuy working for the 'soft. Because, after all, if corporations are big, they are bad. Am I right?!

TwoBuy
Clinically Casbah Rockin'

Post by TwoBuy »

Lethal Interjection wrote:Insert obligatory joke about twobuy working for the 'soft.
Not so much "working" as "getting a paycheck from"
Stories from 19-yo mistresses
Hey girl whats up
A drunk driver hit my blind, 12-yo sister on her way home from school. Im @ the funeral
hahaha
That wasnt a joke dick-hole
Oh
Sooooo... my gf will be out of town Wednesday. U gunna be back by then?

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

TwoBuy wrote:
Lethal Interjection wrote:Insert obligatory joke about twobuy working for the 'soft.
Not so much "working" as "getting a paycheck from"
Because it's not like the security team is working hard! :lol:

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

My buddy pre-ordered and got himself a copy this week. I played it yesterday.
Very pretty looking, and they definitely added some cool realistic features.
Some of my favourites are that you get thrown through the windshield if you hit a stationary object at high speed.
Also, shooting people in cars makes a satisfying bloodsplatter on the windshield. Though I don't know how the guy would actually tool around with that much blood on the window.
The running from the cops system is much better than I remember. You just have to get out of their radius and not get spotted by any other cops while outside the radius (until the heat dies down and they've "lost" you). Which means you can get away from 2 or 3 stars without jumping into one of those body shops.
Again, I didn't do the story at all, and after about an hour and a half of doing whatever, I got rather bored, as per usual with the GTA series.

Jaydee

Post by Jaydee »

I have from GTA3 and up. I like the games, sure. I don't understand why Vice City and San Andreas are not 4 and 5. There is probably some real simple explanation that will still illude me... but it is just frustrating. Felt like a massive wanker a couple of months ago going to a Lan Party and someone was like "OMG GTA4" and I said I had it [assuming that Vice City was four] and then got shunned for the rest of the day.

Back to topic, GTA4 is fun for a while, but I find it is pretty simple. All missions are easy to complete and you don't need prior information from earlier missions to complete newer ones AND you don't need to watch the little movie things that carry the plot along due to the pointlessness of them. The graphics don't really stun me... though I do like that I get hit by cars more in this game and people are willing to get out of their cars etc.

That's all. After playing for about a day, just like a person watching the ads before a movie at the cinema, I feel I can give a professional critique on this topic.
BTY. [Better than you]

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Jaydee wrote:I have from GTA3 and up. I like the games, sure. I don't understand why Vice City and San Andreas are not 4 and 5. There is probably some real simple explanation that will still illude me... but it is just frustrating. Felt like a massive wanker a couple of months ago going to a Lan Party and someone was like "OMG GTA4" and I said I had it [assuming that Vice City was four] and then got shunned for the rest of the day.
I clearly didn't pay enough attention to the title of this post, because reading yours, I completely agreed. Though Vice City and San Andreas do seem like parallel games to GTA3, so I assume that is where it came from.
I always thought numbering was kind of ridiculous. Like with the massive confusions between American and Japanese Final Fantasy series*.
It particularly irked me with the Land Before Time kids series. I saw the first two, I think. But I always laughed because they kept on going and going with the series, and I'd see them in the new releases section. I think they hit ten or 12 before they finally decided to stop numbering. I mean, the kids who are watching don't know roman numerals (if they even ever learn them in school...). Though I'm not entirely sure why they even use roman numerals for those, and not regular numbers, other than for theatrical convention sake.

* I should say that the title Final Fantasy X2 is terribly confusing for non-players of the series. The fact that the series has both an X2 and an XII in wide release (the whole Japanese/American differences aren't that big a deal, since they are rather hard to come by nowadays) is ridiculous.

HARDKORE
The Heavy

Post by HARDKORE »

I cant beleve this game. Liberty city has been on 3 other gta games and now look at it. Its like it a completely new city. I was expecting to it to be the same. I had it memorized good. How does 3 - 4 new islands suddenly pop up. I didnt see an volcano or contentinal drift going on.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

HARDKORE wrote:I cant beleve this game. Liberty city has been on 3 other gta games and now look at it. Its like it a completely new city. I was expecting to it to be the same. I had it memorized good. How does 3 - 4 new islands suddenly pop up. I didnt see an volcano or contentinal drift going on.
A wizard did it.*

*or should I say...mage? Dun dun dun!