The last Airbender

Moderator: Lethal Interjection

HARDKORE
The Heavy

The last Airbender

Post by HARDKORE »

Read this

I dont know much about this cartoon but i dont think it will do any good. This guys movies are hit and miss there is no way most parents would take there 9 or 10 year olds to see a movie he does (most that i know anyways)

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

<rant>
I'm sick of people ragging on Shamalyan.
He's terribly pretentious and a bit of an ass, but that isn't exactly news when it comes to Hollywood directors.
Sixth Sense, often acclaimed as his best work, is one of my least favourites. A beautiful and brilliant film, though after you've seen it two or three times, it is treacherously boring.
Unbreakable, is easily his best, and though it flopped hard theatrically, has gathered a respectable cult following, and I've seen it put in "list of best superhero movies" multiple times.
Signs was great. Good plot, despite the one major hole, good acting, and extremely entertaining.
The Village is where it irks me the most. I will tell you, I had the "twist" pegged when I first saw the trailer, over a year prior to its release. I still love that movie.
I haven't seen Lady in the Water, and I'm seeing the new one this Friday.
My problem is that, if Shamalyan were to have made a few movies without twists in them before Signs or The Village, would they have been lambasted as much as they were? Not very likely. Basically people are saying the twists have been predictable and trite, but if they had not expected it, I think the movies would've been far better received.
Regardless, the guy directs with magnificent visual style, and even a plot-poor movie will be a masterpiece to behold.
</rant>

With all of that said, I have no desire to see this movie. Apparently Avatar is pretty big depending on who you are talking to, so it might be alright. Unfortunately, they will have to work pretty hard to make it so that it will be accessible to the general audience.

Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

Post by Sahan »

Avatar is the only anime-based show I've ever watched, and I did enjoy it whilst it was on air. I know the show was targeted at 10 year olds, but I think it also tapped into the teenage population quite well, and even a few adults who found the time to watch it. Quite a number of people I know also followed the second series through the internet.

I think Avatar is most accessible show of the anime genre to the general audience, though it still might not be mainstream enough to be successful. Nonetheless, I'd probably watch it if it was screened in Australia, provided this director does a decent job.
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Kinda an odd transition, eh? Sixth Sense > The Happening > Avatar?
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

ruotwocone
sock-puppet of the infinite

Post by ruotwocone »

mountainmage wrote:Kinda an odd transition, eh? Sixth Sense > The Happening > Avatar?
i thought so too, but this is the SMBC forum here so nothing really surprises me. i agree about unbreakable being f-ing sweet. it's the only Shayamalan film i own. 6th sense and signs were very good too. i thought the village was pretty bad, but i liked lady in the water. I'll probably catch the happening when it hits HBO/Shotime/Cinemax/Stars/Encore.

Also Sahan, there are a ton of awesome anime shows out there that you're missing out on if you haven't seen them. Cowboy Bebop, Macross, Star Blazers, and Voltron to name a few.

HARDKORE
The Heavy

Post by HARDKORE »

Voltron was awsome. Why cant he do that one next.

ruotwocone
sock-puppet of the infinite

Post by ruotwocone »

HARDKORE wrote:Voltron was awsome. Why cant he do that one next.
voltron is already in preproduction

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Honestly, I'm not surprised. If the Smurfs is going to be made into a movie, and Dragonball Z as well, then why not Voltron?
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

TwoBuy
Clinically Casbah Rockin'

Post by TwoBuy »

What do you mean by, "why not voltron". Voltron is the greatest TV show made in the history of mankind.
Stories from 19-yo mistresses
Hey girl whats up
A drunk driver hit my blind, 12-yo sister on her way home from school. Im @ the funeral
hahaha
That wasnt a joke dick-hole
Oh
Sooooo... my gf will be out of town Wednesday. U gunna be back by then?

cheez.wiz
Human-based Product

Post by cheez.wiz »

mountainmage wrote:Honestly, I'm not surprised. If the Smurfs is going to be made into a movie, and Dragonball Z as well, then why not Voltron?
Wait, you mean... Dragonball Z is going to have a remake.

the one and only original
bird bird bird, bird is a word, b-b-b-b-bird oh yeah bird is a word, bird bird bird

Jesster
Clearly not funny

Re: The last Airbender

Post by Jesster »

I would like it known that all three seasons of Avatar: The Last Airbender (Or, The Legend of Aang to English people who still think bender is a slang word for a flaming bertie), is one of the best cartoons I have ever watched, on a parallel with Batman, The Animated Series.
"Moloch was drawn from memory, and is aware how crappy his face looks."

AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Post by AHMETxRock »

The last airbender is one of the greatest shows ever. I missed the seasons and had to watch them online becase my siblings didn't want to see it. Then one day while i'm out they watch a marathon and won't let me watch anything of my own preference!

I want to know so bad about those cliffhangers they left for us.
Just like an std, will never fully go away.

Jesster
Clearly not funny

Post by Jesster »

They left cliffhangers? Season Three's big movie-length finale kind of wrapped everything up.

AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Post by AHMETxRock »

IF aang is the last airbender, what happens to the avatar rebirth cycle?
what happened with zuko's mom?
ETC!
Just like an std, will never fully go away.

Jesster
Clearly not funny

Post by Jesster »

Aang is the last airbender currently alive when the series starts. It would appear the guys that moved into the air temple will become the new airbenders.

As far as I am aware the location of his mother isn't told to us because she's dead, or that was the implication I got from the way it ended.