What games do you fancy?

Moderator: Lethal Interjection

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Re: What games do you fancy?

Post by Lethal Interjection »

ruotwocone wrote:you guys need to work on your anti-AI strategy... you should be able to win MS Hearts at least 60-70% of the time.
Agreed. Dumping a suit where possible tends to work very nicely.

Asherian
Token Erisian

Post by Asherian »

MS hearts cheats yes, but its also stupid. If you can't always pull in at least 2nd place, and 1st more then 60% or so of the time you're probably missing key concepts. A lot funner in person, especially since then you can do variants. Like Double-deck cancellation hearts, that ones just.. special.
As pure as the driven snow. Bitches

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

Well I only just started playing hearts (if you can tell by my computer record), so I'm just playing by what little I know about the game.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

Asherian
Token Erisian

Post by Asherian »

Remember points are bad, unless you get all of them. Then its awesome.

mountainmage
Mage of the Mountains

Post by mountainmage »

I have won twice, I've got the basics down. What I'm lacking is advanced strategy. I have a basic one I use each hand which works ok, but it doesn't win games often.
No more white horses ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬ for you to ride away

Frostbite
I dunno.

Post by Frostbite »

Hearts when played with my family turns into Hostile Deathmatch Hearts. Nobody is happy at the end of the game. Maybe the winner, but even then probably not.
Doin' podcasts before they were cool.

ruotwocone
sock-puppet of the infinite

Post by ruotwocone »

mountainmage wrote:I have won twice, I've got the basics down. What I'm lacking is advanced strategy. I have a basic one I use each hand which works ok, but it doesn't win games often.
The trick in MS Hearts is to identify when you need want to try and shoot the moon. If you have a lot of high hearts (including the ace - this is important) then give it a shot. Just pass all of your lowest cards and typically the computer will pass high cards to you which will only help your cause. Also, the game thinks you are trying to shoot if you start playing high cards and then going down-suit so you should always start low. For example if I have the 10, king and ace of hearts - I should first lead the 10 and the computer will play under it. Then play the king and ace. If you start with the ace, the computer will save its higher hearts and play the jack or queen when you get around to the 10 and prevent you from shooting.

The other easy trick is to short-suit yourself in clubs or diamonds (you do this by passing all of your diamonds or clubs during the passing phase). It is easier to get rid of high cards you got stuck with when you get to play them on a suit you don't have. Also - never, EVER short-suit yourself on spades.

Frostbite
I dunno.

Post by Frostbite »

It's also good to know that the computer players are always out to get you.
Doin' podcasts before they were cool.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

ruotwocone wrote:Also - never, EVER short-suit yourself on spades.
Never? What about if it is a no-pass hand?

Kidd

Post by Kidd »

To make an abbreviated break from Hearts;

I got Left4Dead for Christmas (I seriously wonder what goes through my parent's heads when I get these games. If they put too much stock into news reports saying video games are making kids violent; are they waiting for me to come out of my room with my 12 Gauge and just open fire?). What a great game. I'm on Steam, if anyone is up for the challenge. Sn= NicKidd
I Believe In Harvey Dent.

cheez.wiz
Human-based Product

Post by cheez.wiz »

Kidd wrote: I'm on Steam, if anyone is up for the challenge. Sn= NicKidd
Cue Sahan's reaction.
bird bird bird, bird is a word, b-b-b-b-bird oh yeah bird is a word, bird bird bird

AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Post by AHMETxRock »

I might have mentioned this before, but I don't play violent games because of my younger siblings. I was playing prince of persia, sands of time. MY brother was watching it, and we'd make little jokes when fighting, like, opps, did I just stick that sword through your head? I'm sorry, let me go back and time and try to shake your hand properly. This is funnier when you're brother is little and still laughs at what you say.

Anyways, in an arguement with a sister, he kicked her. He did exactly what the prince of persia character did in one of our jokes. That's commendable, if he didn't just kick my sister. I'm not agreeing that violent games cause violence to the point of being shunned, but younger children with warpable minds should be given more time to establish between fantasy and reality, and get a firmer idea of right and wrong. In a few years I'll be okay with them playing violent games, but it takes a certain mental maturity before it doesn't influence you.

More effort needs to be put on society in a broader context, as to why some people have been so easily influenced.
Just like an std, will never fully go away.

Kidd

Post by Kidd »

Hence the use of the ESRB. It's not up to society to put restrictions on things, it's up to the parents. If you're eight and playing GTA, that's a parental issue. I fucking hate seeing these bitch mothers get on the news and say "Oh, my son shot people because he played that GTA." They always leave the detail out that says "You know, the GTA that's rated MA, but I bought it for him anyways because lil' Johnny has always been mature for a ten year old."

</rant>
I Believe In Harvey Dent.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Kidd wrote:Hence the use of the ESRB. It's not up to society to put restrictions on things, it's up to the parents. If you're eight and playing GTA, that's a parental issue. I fucking hate seeing these bitch mothers get on the news and say "Oh, my son shot people because he played that GTA." They always leave the detail out that says "You know, the GTA that's rated MA, but I bought it for him anyways because lil' Johnny has always been mature for a ten year old."

</rant>
Or, more likely, "because he'll throw a tantrum if he doesn't get it, and I'm too shitty a parent to learn when to say no to my kids."

Personally, I agree with the parental responsibility. I would imagine, that when I have kids, violent video games will take some time to come into my house (to be fair, though, I'm not sure console gaming will come into my house at all, when I have kids, but that requires longer explanation).
On the other hand, I probably will allow a more broad view of movies. Without the interaction and with some proper parenting, that shouldn't be as big of an issue.
We'll see, though.

Asherian
Token Erisian

Post by Asherian »

Honestly if the kid can't tell at 10 that whats on tv isn't what should be in reality then someone's already missed a lesson or twelve he should have gotten. I played/watched my parents play violent video games since I was a wee tot(true when I was little Castle Wolfenstein was near the cutting edge for graphic violence.)

Left 4 Dead is awesome, I don't have my own copy yet just my fiances.. but I'd be totally into playing with yah sometime Kidd. Though you'll have to deal with the fact I'm twitchy as all fuck and pretty bad at fps style games.

Also just got the newest silent hill, which is.. well, exactly what you'd expect from a silent hill game. Also freakishly amazing graphics. (There are times in the cut scenes I'm curious if they switched into a real actor of alex just to fuck with you.)