Resident Evil 5

Moderator: Lethal Interjection

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Re: Resident Evil 5

Post by smiley_cow »

I've never heard Indie referred to as a genre before. Admittedly I'm a little sheltered, so not to say it's not, but most indie bands have a genre listed separate from their Indie status.

Admittedly Independent is pretty broad, but it's not an arbitrary title, there are requirements. Most belong to an independent label, which just means a label that doesn't believe in interfering in any of the artistic stuff. Similarly the ones that belong to big labels have a very different contract than say someone like Britney Spears would have where they're told what to sing, what to wear, etc... Indie groups get to have full control over their sound/image and the agreement with the label is usually more business orientated, and the label plays a much smaller role.

Lately I've noticed people are trying define indie, as something these people listen to, or as sounding this way or that way, but that's just because it's getting more popular. All it means is more individual control over your sound.

[Edit]I didn't see the last two posts.

Indie can be mainstream, look at Feist. See, this is exactly what I'm talking about. People are putting attaching their own definitions to what they perceive it as, but that's not actually what it means.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Indie is the new "alternative". A meaningless label meant to drag together multiple strains of music to one audibly appealing term.
I do agree with cow's definition. However, for my own purposes I sometimes use it for "stuff not played on the radio". I usually tend away from indie, though. Obscure is more my choice of word. But I'm referring to a Ben Harper or a Ben Folds or the Eels. They all count among my favourite bands, but I very seldom hear any of them on the radio, on any station. I believe each of them are signed to a major record label, though the only one I can recall is that Harper is with Virgin, I believe.

AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Post by AHMETxRock »

There's what indie really is, and what indie has become interpreted to mean. You make small associations based on fact that are not even slightly erroneous, then you delve into generalizations stemming from those associations which tends to be a good guide, and just continue from there. The question of whether the original definition or the evolved definition should be taken as the definitive use is difficult, and most people tend to use the evolved, as it is essentially a meme.
Just like an std, will never fully go away.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

AHMETxRock wrote:There's what indie really is, and what indie has become interpreted to mean. You make small associations based on fact that are not even slightly erroneous, then you delve into generalizations stemming from those associations which tends to be a good guide, and just continue from there. The question of whether the original definition or the evolved definition should be taken as the definitive use is difficult, and most people tend to use the evolved, as it is essentially a meme.
And then, of course, comes the word that so often accompanies "indie". "Sell-out". What defines a "sell-out". That they are actually making money for their music? That they get played on the radio? That they get signed to a record label (nevermind what size of a label it is)? Julia Nunes actually talks about this in her most recent YouTube video, which is why I have it on my mind. She's basically climbed to some level of fame through her videos and ukelele covers. To the point that she is selling records (from a homemade label started by her and her parents), and opening for (and playing with) Ben Folds on some of his tour stops. She mentions that she is getting paid for doing what she loves. While so many of her peers are taking crappy entry level jobs for good pay, so that they can make a name for themselves and "climb the corporate ladder". She argues that that is closer to "selling out" than what she is doing.

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Hahah, then I'll be a sell-out if my books never sell. Just more that reminds me how little work I've done lately.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

NECRO+++++++

So, I played this on Friday. Entertaining stuff. I hadn't played the previous incarnations, but watched it plenty. Anyways, playing co-op is great. Playing co-op with someone who has the same approach to the game is even better. Killed us up some zombies, baby! I really enjoyed it, more than I thought I would.

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Funny, I was planning to necro this post some time soon too! And I have to say that it's a fun game but RE4 was much, much better. And I can't stand co-op, especially if you can't get anyone to play with you; the AI is fucking retarded.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

LordRetard wrote:Funny, I was planning to necro this post some time soon too! And I have to say that it's a fun game but RE4 was much, much better. And I can't stand co-op, especially if you can't get anyone to play with you; the AI is fucking retarded.
I'm pretty sure this is why my friend invited me over in the first place. He's wanted to bust through it, but doesn't have the other person and wants to play it with another.

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

I should really find some friends that actually play video games.

Frostbite
I dunno.

Post by Frostbite »

Ha, I'm not your friend. Your loss honkey face.

Also, the infinite rocket launcher pushes this game into the realm of too much fun. Using excessive force to solve every problem.
Doin' podcasts before they were cool.

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

In RE4 I had all of the overpowered weapons, tommygun, handcannon and infinite rockets (and maxed out striker and semi-auto rifle, because those are fun too). At that point it's hard to even challenge yourself... You just run around shooting things and they die. My favourite thing to do was to take the handcannon, a magnum that can kill any regular enemy in one hit and takes a second to fire again, and just try to get headshots over and over. That game has infinite replay value. Like a Katamari game.

Frostbite
I dunno.

Post by Frostbite »

Yeah, the handcannon is back, no need to explain what it is my non-friend.

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Wicked fresh, my non-friend. Also, I hate you. Do you have to play mercenaries with your partner or can you do it solo?

AHMETxRock
Spam-Bot Trollop

Post by AHMETxRock »

You hear me talk about rocket launchers online and all of a sudden I've got some sort of agents putting a black hood over my head and asking me where the bombs are.
Just like an std, will never fully go away.

Frostbite
I dunno.

Post by Frostbite »

LordRetard wrote:Wicked fresh, my non-friend. Also, I hate you. Do you have to play mercenaries with your partner or can you do it solo?
I just fly solo in Mercs 2.

Also, terrible social commentary Ahmet. The streak continues!