What are you watching right now?

Moderator: Lethal Interjection

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Re: What are you watching right now?

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

I watched it during the first few seasons whilst I was a lad and we had cable. Great stuff.
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

I caught up on Bojack Horseman. Some non-spoilery thoughts:
  • I wasn't really sure about it when I first started watching, what with the hands and the fact I just don't usually like shows with unsympathetic protagonists, but it seemed to find it's feet about halfway through season 1.
  • I started watching it because Amy Sedaris and someone told me it was a deconstruction of Hollywood culture and I got both in spades. So good job on that show.
  • That Chicken for Dayz episode was disturbing. Like really disturbing.
  • I loved all the art on the walls. It might have been my favourite ongoing gag.
  • Overall the show was smart, went to places I didn't expect it to (in a good way), and interesting. And Princess Caroline was my favourite. That said, the writing might still be a bit more cynical than I tend to like. Still haven't decided if I'm going to watch season 3 or not yet.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Felstaff
XKCD spy

Post by Felstaff »

That was refreshingly informative. I knew Britain and Japan were allies before War 1, but I was never sure about what happened between War 1 and War 2.
255 characters of free advertising space? I'm selling these line feather jackets...

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

Microaggression? Microaggression!

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

Cylon, The Next Generation
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

This is an Australian made fantasy/comedy mini series about a (very Rincewind-ish) wizard from a magical realm who gets sick of all the magical happenings and decides to move to Footscray, a suburb in Melbourne.
It is very good.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

I just finished season 2 of Daredevil.

Not my favourite Punisher crossover but I still enjoyed it. I actually liked it a lot more than season 1. Needed more Marcie.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

I actually liked season 1 just a tiny bit better; I think because D'Onofrio absolutely nailed his performance as Wilson Fisk. Overall though I feel season 2 had much better pacing, and I appreciated there was more courtroom and more of Foggy being cool as hell.

Definitely agree there should have been way more Marcie, and I hope if there's a season 3 it expands more on Karen's character because her arc felt sort of like Nobu's arc in season 1.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

Yeah, I liked Foggy more this season. His arc was more interesting. I saw a lot of people saying this season made them love Karen, but I loved Karen more in season 1 (not that I didn't love her this season, just that she was so badass in season 1).

I definitely appreciated that there was actual courtroom drama this season. Only thing I didn't really like this season was Matt/Karen. I feel like they're missing some really good BFF potential. And Matt/Elektra worked so much better.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Edminster wrote:I actually liked season 1 just a tiny bit better; I think because D'Onofrio absolutely nailed his performance as Wilson Fisk. Overall though I feel season 2 had much better pacing, and I appreciated there was more courtroom and more of Foggy being cool as hell.

Definitely agree there should have been way more Marcie, and I hope if there's a season 3 it expands more on Karen's character because her arc felt sort of like Nobu's arc in season 1.
The lack of D'Onofrio's Fisk is precisely why I haven't watched it yet. It's near the top of my list but I have been rewatching previous GoT seasons (just started my s5 bluray), rewatching Halt and Catch Fire S1 and will soon start S2, and then it will be Daredevil S2.

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

Lethal Interjection wrote:
Edminster wrote:I actually liked season 1 just a tiny bit better; I think because D'Onofrio absolutely nailed his performance as Wilson Fisk. Overall though I feel season 2 had much better pacing, and I appreciated there was more courtroom and more of Foggy being cool as hell.

The lack of D'Onofrio's Fisk is precisely why I haven't watched it yet. It's near the top of my list but I have been rewatching previous GoT seasons (just started my s5 bluray), rewatching Halt and Catch Fire S1 and will soon start S2, and then it will be Daredevil S2.
Benthal's Punisher is almost as good as D'Onofrio's Fisk was. I'd definitely recommend the series sooner than you've got it in your list.

Oh! another thing I remembered that disappointed me in season 2: the art direction was not as strong. Like they didn't really do anything clever like with the painting/timeout wall sort of deal.

gödel stop spreading fud

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

You forget that I have no life.
I'll probably be done all 3 by about this time next week. Interspersing the action of GoT and then DD with the drama of HaCF as breaks in between.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

I'm only through episode 2 of the second season of DD. I was a Punisher fan, largely because I really only liked comic book characters that didn't have innate super powers and he was one of the least super. He was like a poor batman. I'm not sure I really like where they are going with him in the show, but it has to be better than other screen adaptations of the character. I think the actor looks a little too clean and fresh faced, but what little of his acting I've seen that wasn't a fight scene was spot on.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

Kaharz wrote:I'm only through episode 2 of the second season of DD. [...] I think the actor looks a little too clean and fresh faced, but what little of his acting I've seen that wasn't a fight scene was spot on.
keep watching

gödel stop spreading fud