What are you watching right now?

Moderator: Lethal Interjection

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Re: What are you watching right now?

Post by smiley_cow »

I watched through Grace and Frankie. It was alright. It has kind of a low budget, indie feel. You might like it if you like complicated old people drama. Otherwise you'll probably find it pretty dull. But the characters are complex and well-written enough and it stars the actress who used to play Ms. Frizzle on the magic school bus.

I've started watching Bojack Horseman. Early review: it really bothers me that he has hands for some reason. I think maybe it was being raised on My Little Pony Tales where things just magically attached to their hooves.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

just started watching Person of Interest with the boyfriend. Seems really interesting so far, enough so that we've binged through almost all of season one the past couple days.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

POI is cool.
Microaggression? Microaggression!

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

Astrogirl wrote:POI is cool.
Yeah, it popped up on Netflix and I remembered you said it was good so I gave it a try. You are in fact correct, it is good.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

:)

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

I thought you were talking about Poi but really excited about it so it was in all caps. Needless to say I'm highly disappointed.
King Prawn

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

Kimra wrote:I thought you were talking about Poi but really excited about it so it was in all caps. Needless to say I'm highly disappointed.
I started to learn how to do that, but got bored before I came anywhere close to being able to safely do fire poi. I've seen enough fire spinning for two lifetimes, so I usually avoid or ignore it now. That and belly dancing.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Edminster wrote:just started watching Person of Interest with the boyfriend. Seems really interesting so far, enough so that we've binged through almost all of season one the past couple days.
Really?

I think it's possible that my first exposure to it was marred by, of all things, the shitty TV setup my parents had when I watched part of an episode there. I think their aspect ratio might've been off, and their colour seemed a bit muted. That combined with a feeling that what I saw of the show itself was a little monotone didn't give me a good first impression.

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

It definitely is not a terribly colourful show, but the metaplot is interesting enough that I like watching it. I've not really progressed much further recently because I sort of burned out on it (the boyfriend and I watched thirty-two episodes in 72 hours) and season two has been all sorts of narratively weak but I have hopes that the metaplot will keep building into something nice.

gödel stop spreading fud

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

On a separate note, can anyone here recommend Psych?
I have a friend/coworker who really likes it. Our tastes overlap considerably.
And this week I learned a good friend has been watching and loving it. The overlap here is less notable, but almost enough confirmation for me to give it a try.
The only reason I've not given it a shot as of yet is because there is a lot of it. It isn't the major network 20-24 episode seasons, but we are talking about 8 seasons x 15 episodes x 45 minutes.

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

It's basically "what if Sherlock Holmes was a brilliant manchild instead of a brilliant antisocial asshole" the show. I thought it pretty fun; it's a comedy so despite the daunting run it's fairly manageable to absorb. It also has Cary Elwes pop up occasionally (starting in the fourth season) as the world's greatest catburglar. It's a great show and Dulé Hill makes an absolutely fantastic Watson to Roday's Sherlock, with Timothy Omundson playing a wonderfully dour Inspector Lestrade.

I may be a bit biased in its favour as I've seen the whole run about three times now.

gödel stop spreading fud

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

Edminster wrote:It's basically "what if Sherlock Holmes was a brilliant manchild instead of a brilliant antisocial asshole" the show. I thought it pretty fun; it's a comedy so despite the daunting run it's fairly manageable to absorb. It also has Cary Elwes pop up occasionally (starting in the fourth season) as the world's greatest catburglar. It's a great show and Dulé Hill makes an absolutely fantastic Watson to Roday's Sherlock, with Timothy Omundson playing a wonderfully dour Inspector Lestrade.

I may be a bit biased in its favour as I've seen the whole run about three times now.
I agree with all this, but I have only watched it through once. I did sour on a bit the last half season, but I think the drop in quality was them trying to wrap everything up more quickly than planned.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Astrogirl
so close, yet so far

Post by Astrogirl »

Lethal Interjection wrote:On a separate note, can anyone here recommend Psych?
I have a friend/coworker who really likes it. Our tastes overlap considerably.
And this week I learned a good friend has been watching and loving it. The overlap here is less notable, but almost enough confirmation for me to give it a try.
The only reason I've not given it a shot as of yet is because there is a lot of it. It isn't the major network 20-24 episode seasons, but we are talking about 8 seasons x 15 episodes x 45 minutes.
God I love Psych. It's super funny, but at the same time it's real detective stories.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Well, thanks everyone. That's pretty ringing endorsement. I wonder if Elwes' character was the one my friend was talking about enjoying. Seems quite likely.
It was her description of the Guy Ritchie homage episode that pushed me into "I probably should give this a shot" territory.

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

I'm quite certain this will be something a number of you will enjoy quite a lot.