Shutter Island and The Crazies

Moderator: Lethal Interjection

davoid

Shutter Island and The Crazies

Post by davoid »

Shutter Island was in my opinion excellently engaging, despite what the critics will tell you. It's really a wild ride and also delightfully consistent, which is rare for many thriller/horror kind of films.

The only non-spoilish advice I can give is that paying close attention to the little details, even the ones that seem like they might just be there for flavor, will really enrich the experience. Nothing is just thrown in there without a reason (which is, again, very refreshing.) So, if a character says something, pay close attention. It really pays off. I went with a bunch of kids who were only half paying attention, and they came out of the theater scratching their heads. But, if you're tuned in, it's a solid plot and a great film overall.

I'm going to see "The Crazies" tomorrow. It's a remake of an old George A. Romero film, so fingers crossed!
All the cool kids are reading http://www.hitmanpiranha.com and http://www.ss-comic.com!

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Re: Shutter Island and The Crazies

Post by Apocalyptus »

Apparently The Crazies is more scary than the original, so I'm looking forward to seeing it very much.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

davoid wrote:paying close attention to the little details, even the ones that seem like they might just be there for flavor, will really enrich the experience
Near as I can tell, this is pretty much the hallmark of good filmmaking.

I just finished watching Toys for the first time in many years, and there are a bunch of little things that can be ignored completely that are actually really clever and fit perfectly with the story. For instance, one of the characters is a retired General who ends up taking over the toy company that the movie centers on. Well, he only ever got up to a Three-star General, a point that his father (a Four-star General) never fails to bring up. Well, after taking control of the company and instituting rather harsh security measures, the uniform he designed for himself points him out as the Five-star General of the company.

Another small thing like that is in the movie Die Hard, where a couple characters in the background of a shot gamble on whether or not a particular hostage will divulge critical information. A few moments later, you see the loser handing money over to the winner. All of this is completely inaudible, and is only in the background of the shots and easily miss-able. But it's there, and it enriches the entire film.

I love when movies do that, so I'm definitely going to check out Shutter Island as soon as it hits Netflix. Also I don't know what critics you've been listening to, but from what I hear it's pretty much Scorsese's best film yet.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

LordRetard
The Most Retardedest

Post by LordRetard »

Yeah, I'm a pretty big Die Hard fan.

GET IT

Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

Post by Sahan »

You like Die Hard, what's not to get?
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

I'm checking out Shutter Island this afternoon with my sister. I will report back. Probably seeing Alice In Wonderland next weekend.

davoid

Post by davoid »

Edminster wrote:Also I don't know what critics you've been listening to, but from what I hear it's pretty much Scorsese's best film yet.
I don't know. I feel like the reviews I've read have all been either lukewarm or somewhat negative. Apparently, my collective sources are an idiot.

P.S. - The Crazies was definitely worth seeing. Overall, I think it was probably the best horror film I've encountered in a while.

Between this and Shutter Island, the theaters have been good to me recently.
All the cool kids are reading http://www.hitmanpiranha.com and http://www.ss-comic.com!

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

I think it is my favourite Scorcese film. But then again, it caters more to my tastes than your standard Scorcese fair.
It was really good. I really liked that Ted Levine was in it. He's a great flavour to the movie, which is pretty much the way I feel about every role of his. DiCaprio was his normal great self, Ruffalo was great, and Kingsley was inspired.
The plot was great. Through the movie I wasn't quite sure about all of it, but by the end I appreciated all the details and plot points and such.

I kind of want to say more about it, but I don't want to spoil it. Even the spoiler tags are a bit of a temptation, and the movie is too new for me to want to even tempt you to have it spoiled.

Apocalyptus

Post by Apocalyptus »

Lethal Interjection wrote:I think it is my favourite Scorcese film. But then again, it caters more to my tastes than your standard Scorcese fair.
WRONG.
Just because fair and fare sound the same doesn't mean they are interchangeable!
/rant.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

Apocalyptus wrote:
Lethal Interjection wrote:I think it is my favourite Scorcese film. But then again, it caters more to my tastes than your standard Scorcese fair.
WRONG.
Just because fair and fare sound the same doesn't mean they are interchangeable!
/rant.
man for a second i was about to bring the hammer down when i realised you were sassy female australian member 2 rather than sassy female australian member 1

thank goodness that crisis was averted before it started
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Apocalyptus wrote:
WRONG.
/rant.
My mistake. I probably didn't reread. I wouldn't have used it.
In fact I thought that, with your colour edit, you were trying to tell me "fair" was correct (you had made that change and highlighted it), and I had links to Merriam-Webster all queued up to recorrect you.

Apocalyptus

Post by Apocalyptus »

Edminster wrote:man for a second i was about to bring the hammer down when i realised you were sassy female australian member 2 rather than sassy female australian member 1
Apocalyptus wrote:Just because Kimra and Apocalyptus sound the same doesn't mean they are interchangeable!
Fix'd

Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

Post by Sahan »

I thought I was sassy Australian female number one!
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?

Apocalyptus

Post by Apocalyptus »

You're sassy Australian shemale number one.

Oldrac the Chitinous
Chicken O' the Sea

Post by Oldrac the Chitinous »

One of seven.
Police said they spent some time working out if they could charge the man with being armed with a weapon, as technically he was armed with part of a fish.