I HUNGER FOR LINKS

Moderator: Lethal Interjection

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Re: I HUNGER FOR LINKS

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

I made all kinds of obscene sounds at the cuteness of this article
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

The weekend before last the wife and I went to a wildlife rescue that specializes in big cats. Besides the normal enclosures, they have a two or three acre 'fun run' that they rotate the tigers through so they can have a larger area to be active in and a bit more privacy. You almost never see the tigers that are in there due to the heavy brush and large area. But we are walking along it and I spot a flash of orange out of the corner of my eye. It was not a tiger though. It was a regular orange tabby domestic cat just hanging out in the tiger enclosure. We told one of the volunteers and he said the cat had showed up a few weeks ago and seems to always be around now. Usually it stays out of the more dangerous areas. It won't let them get close to it though. All the tigers they have were 'photo babies' so they've all been raised as orphans in captivity and never learned to hunt properly, but it still seems rather risky for the domestic cat.

If for some reason you are ever in the middle of the nowhere Pennsylvania on a summer weekend with some time to kill, I highly recommend going to the place. It is called T&D's Cats of the World. They are nice people and do their best to take care of all the animals. http://www.tdscats.com/ (terrible website)
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

It sounds very similar to the Carolina Tiger Rescue in Pittsboro, NC. An intern at my dad's work volunteered there and gave us a fantastic tour. My brother got pissed on a couple times from ~20 feet away. No feral domestic cats though.
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

Felstaff
XKCD spy

Post by Felstaff »

255 characters of free advertising space? I'm selling these line feather jackets...

Kaharz

Post by Kaharz »

Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:It sounds very similar to the Carolina Tiger Rescue in Pittsboro, NC. An intern at my dad's work volunteered there and gave us a fantastic tour. My brother got pissed on a couple times from ~20 feet away. No feral domestic cats though.
It looks like T&Ds has a greater variety of animals but less big cats than the NC one. They both have binturongs though, which are my favorite. I will have to take the wife to the NC one. We aren't in that area of NC much, but could plan to go there on our way to visit her family in New Bern. It would only be a detour of about two hours. We went farther out of the way than that to drive the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel on two occasions.

Also Felstaff, that was awesome.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

MIT Wristband Could Make AC Obsolete

DR, you might find this interesting.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

Finally, a hero for our times!

By the way, it has comments! If you think people wouldn't be saying crazy stuff about a tiny air conditioner: think again!!
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Kaharz

Post by Kaharz »

I am very interested in seeing this become a reality. I doubt it will be super effective, but even if extends the tolerable range by a couple of degrees it would be awesome for both personal comfort and helping reduce energy consumption.

I'm slowly winning the wife over the merits of AC, but she still likes it way hotter than me. This time of year I sleep with just a sheet over about half my body, even with the AC on. She still uses the comforter and burrows in. I'm sweating and she is trying to steal what little bit of the bedding I'm using because she is cold. And of course in the winter she cranks the heat up to intolerable levels and is constantly stealing the blankets so I wake up freezing.

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Kaharz

Post by Kaharz »

Maybe now Prince George's County, Maryland police can hide the number of their SWAT deployments and avoid looking like overzealous psychopaths.

For some background, in 2008 the PG county police deployed their SWAT team to conduct a drug raid on the home of a small town mayor, Cheye Calvo. During the raid they shot his two Labradors because they were 'acting aggressive.'* Calvo and his mother in law were cuffed and questioned for hours. Calvo was in his underwear and not permitted to put pants on. Turns out the police goofed. The people actually moving the drugs would pick a random address to mail the drugs to and then stake out the mail box to grab the package before the oblivious home owner did. There was a number of other procedural screw ups with the whole thing even though the internal investigation found no wrongdoing. Oh, and the drug in question was marijuana. Scary stuff, I know. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berwyn_Hei ... _drug_raid

In response, the state passed a law requiring the deployment of SWAT teams be reported so that informational reports could be issued and made available to the public.
http://www.goccp.maryland.gov/msac/law-enforcement.php

It turned out that PG County deployed its SWAT team way more than any other area, including Baltimore City. While PG County does have about 1.33 time the population of Baltimore City, all their violent crime rates are way lower.** Baltimore City stated a while back that they use their SWAT team whenever they are serving a warrant on a residence where they have any reason to believe firearms are present, so they don't skimp. PG County and the local police departments account for about 30% of the SWAT deployments in the state in 2012. Baltimore City only about 13%.

For some other fun comparative statistics from 2012. Baltimore City accounted for 58% of the homicides, 25% of the rapes, 35% of the robberies and 28% of aggravated assaults in the state. PG county was 17%, 14%, 24%, and 14% respectively. The gap is even larger when you look at it per capita of course. PG county is without a doubt the second worst area in the state and a lot of the violent crime is concentrated in a few fairly small area. But it still looks peaceful relative to Baltimore, as long as the police aren't raiding your home of course.

*They were barking. According to Calvo, one dog was running away when it was shot.
**So clearly using the SWAT more is working right?

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Still got too many tabs open Ed?
King Prawn

Edminster

Post by Edminster »

Two seems to be the least crash-prone! I really should look into a new laptop :/

gödel stop spreading fud

Kaharz

Post by Kaharz »

So pretty much Burning Man 20 years ago before it got too big to allow people to just drive around shooting guns. Oh and without the bitcoin. It was a barter system back then. But barter is taxable.

The video isn't that entertaining. But I figured I'd post it anyway.
http://laughingsquid.com/the-drive-by-s ... -man-1994/

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

A map of places in the world that are or sound dirty in English.

Gotta say, I was not aware that there was a place called 'Chinaman's Knob' in Australia.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."