LR's MOVIE OF THE NOW

Moderator: Lethal Interjection

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Re: LR's MOVIE OF THE NOW

Post by Lethal Interjection »

Kimra wrote: I haven't read the books either, that might have made me dislike it a bit, because I tend to love books a lot. I didn't notice the drag, except in the lovey dovey scenes. But that's just difference of opinion isn't it? :)
I noticed it a little in the 'romantic' scenes. More though I noticed it in her recovery from this or that fall or shock. Also they dragged out the mourning of Rue even though she was relatively minor (less so in the books, apparently).

There were a few other mistakes that I thought were overt and really should've been fixed or explained or something:
1. For a poor district, she was wearing one bitchin' leather jacket in the first scenes.
2. The guy from District 12's makeup to blend to the log? Without a mirror? That dude's a savant. I joked with my friend that now that the Hunger Games are over, they could easily get a job as a upscale cake decorator and a funeral flower arranger. Sounds like a business adventure to me!

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

1. Yeah, her daily clothes were much more expensive than her 'nice' clothes in the opening scenes.
2. Everyone laughed at his magic makeup skills. I also wanted to know where he found his magic supplies... it's possible with futuristic technology and with a sponsor sending in some makeup supplies he might have pulled it off. But... yes it was laughable. Also from a poor district and he got to decorate cakes to look like that? I think not.

Undoubtably there were things that weren't perfect. But I still loved it.

Now lets just compare it to Twilight, and suddenly all of it's faults are nothing. :P (I only mention Twilight because I read a review comparing them, and making a point that it was by far the better movie to admire, which I agree with).
King Prawn

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

I haven't seen the film yet, but I did read the Hunger Games books, and quite enjoyed them.
Very high standard for YA fiction I found, with some pretty interesting social commentary etc.

Although I keep getting annoyed by the people who keep saying "Battle Royale did it first" or that the Hunger Games totally ripped it off.
I'm pretty sure the author of Battle Royale openly admits to being heavily influenced by Stephen King's The Running Man and The Long Walk.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

I haven't seen or read the Hunger Games. A lot of the YA fiction doesn't interests me even when it is fairly well written. I do really like distopian sci-fi though, so maybe I will read it eventually.

It seems in the US, a YA classification is mainly down to what age group it is marketed to and some content restrictions. You can't have too much swearing or descriptive sex, but you can have a lot of horrible things happen. The optimistic side of me likes to think they are following Chesterton's line of thinking that children already know there are monsters, and that the importance of fairy stories is they teach children that monsters can be killed. But it is probably more because we have some very odd social mores when it comes to sex and swearing. Stupid puritans.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

It's not a movie but: Sherlock BBC tv series.

This TV series is brilliant. The Hound of the Baskervilles episode was slow beyond reckoning, but five our of six excellent episodes must be considered in a favourable eye.

*marries Steven Moffit and puts him in her collection of loved writers*
King Prawn

sotic
[Insert Here]

Post by sotic »

I saw episode 6 by itself, the Reichenbach Fall, and I thought it was pretty good as a standalone thing. The characters make enough sense without needing the first five episodes to set them up, and the plot is mostly detached from the rest of the show as far as I can tell.. I'm not sure what this says about the character and plot development that takes place prior.

Moriarty is a convoluted son of a bitch.

e: The ending confused me though. How is Sherlock alive? It's pretty clear that he stepped off the roof, and Watson/the viewer doesn't actually see him hit the ground, but I don't see who else's body it could be, and where could he have gone but down? It sure looked like a dead Sherlock to me.
Wind catches lily / Scatt'ring petals to the wind: / Segmentation fault

zomgmouse
ss No More!

Post by zomgmouse »

Bad Timing - really, really good.
The Breakfast Club - it was nice, but had many flaws.
Better chocolate than choconever.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

sotic wrote:e: The ending confused me though. How is Sherlock alive? It's pretty clear that he stepped off the roof, and Watson/the viewer doesn't actually see him hit the ground, but I don't see who else's body it could be, and where could he have gone but down? It sure looked like a dead Sherlock to me.
Serious major spoilers.
Umm... He did happen to have a spare body on the roof. And you would imagine that if one kills themselves and there happens to be a person shot on the roof you just stepped off of the news papers the next day would say 'murder suicide' or something like that. I'm pretty sure in some clever sherlock way he threw Moriarty off the roof, and had Molly (whom he'd said not two scenes before that he needed and who also happens to be the mortician at that hospital) faked the death information.

Even before they showed he was still alive it was obvious to me. But then I'm a twisted so and so and see nothing wrong with re-dressing someone elses corpse and throwing it off a building to stop your friends from being shot. I admit I'm not sure how he made the little switch since John was staring at him, but I'm sure that'll get covered in the first episode of the next season...

Also! You should watch the others. They are really good. And no theres not character development so much as strong characters. And the plot doesn't flow from one to the next, it is individual stories, but it's still awesome to see them all.
King Prawn

sotic
[Insert Here]

Post by sotic »

Ohh, that makes a lot of sense to me now. So much sense in fact that I feel foolish for not having considered it before.
Wind catches lily / Scatt'ring petals to the wind: / Segmentation fault

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

sotic wrote:Ohh, that makes a lot of sense to me now. So much sense in fact that I feel foolish for not having considered it before.
It might help when you've already seen the twisty turny ness of the previous five episodes.
King Prawn

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

Oh yes, that show is definitely brilliant. You need to see them all.
I'm trying not to think about that fact that it will probably be a year before any new episodes.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Apocalyptus wrote:Oh yes, that show is definitely brilliant. You need to see them all.
I'm trying not to think about that fact that it will probably be a year before any new episodes.
As long as they keep making them. With both main actors being quite popular in Hollywood right now it's a shock they came back for the second season. Maybe they like making it? Here's hoping.
King Prawn

carbonstealer
Australia Apologist

Post by carbonstealer »

Kimra wrote:
sotic wrote:e: The ending confused me though. How is Sherlock alive? It's pretty clear that he stepped off the roof, and Watson/the viewer doesn't actually see him hit the ground, but I don't see who else's body it could be, and where could he have gone but down? It sure looked like a dead Sherlock to me.
Serious major spoilers.
Umm... He did happen to have a spare body on the roof. And you would imagine that if one kills themselves and there happens to be a person shot on the roof you just stepped off of the news papers the next day would say 'murder suicide' or something like that. I'm pretty sure in some clever sherlock way he threw Moriarty off the roof, and had Molly (whom he'd said not two scenes before that he needed and who also happens to be the mortician at that hospital) faked the death information.

Even before they showed he was still alive it was obvious to me. But then I'm a twisted so and so and see nothing wrong with re-dressing someone elses corpse and throwing it off a building to stop your friends from being shot. I admit I'm not sure how he made the little switch since John was staring at him, but I'm sure that'll get covered in the first episode of the next season...

Also! You should watch the others. They are really good. And no theres not character development so much as strong characters. And the plot doesn't flow from one to the next, it is individual stories, but it's still awesome to see them all.
You completely left out the fact that the girl was scared of SHERLOCK. There is possibly a doppleganger in the mix too :0
Apocalyptus wrote: Nothing can beat the image of mouth muffling breast implants.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

Anyone heard when the US release for the second season of Sherlock is? The first season was only a three month lag, so I'm hoping it is soon.

While I was trying to find that, I came across and article from December on January saying that is set for a 3rd season.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

carbonstealer wrote:You completely left out the fact that the girl was scared of SHERLOCK. There is possibly a doppleganger in the mix too :0
I suppose there could be, and I wont dismiss it. But you can program someone to be terrified of anything with enough bad stimulus and a photo.
King Prawn