LR's MOVIE OF THE NOW

Moderator: Lethal Interjection

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Re: LR's MOVIE OF THE NOW

Post by Liriodendron_fagotti »

SO GOOD.

I finally saw Citizen Kane. I can see what the fuss is all about. I also have the same birthday as Orson Welles!
Continual disappointment is the spice of life.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

Watched Blue Velvet. Me oh my.

I saw that it was filmed in Wilmington, NC, which is right next door to the real town of Lumberton, NC, where my mom was born! I've canoed a fair bit on the Lumber River and can absolutely imagine finding bodies wrapped up on bald cypress knees*.

I could gobble Kyle MaClachlan right up.

*Not what happened in the movie, but still, spooooky

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Post by Lethal Interjection »

I've watched a bunch of movies in the last week or so. I won't go through them all, but I will mention 2 stand-outs.

Locke - Magnificent. I love fishbowl movies and also real-time movies, so this was a plus. It's so awesome when a movie can hold your attention so well while being very minimalist. Hardy was great, as was the writing, direction and editing. Just an excellent watch. Made even more impressive that it was filmed in 6 days, running through the entire film twice per day (so 12 'takes').

Midnight in Paris - I don't like Woody Allen. I was pretty firm in this until I saw Annie Hall a few years back. Then I realized where the fuss came from. After this week the total number of Allen films I've seen is something near 10. And I really think Midnight in Paris is Woody Allen's most creative piece. It's not better than Annie Hall, but I think it's more creative on the whole.

Sahan
"I promise you no penis jokes."

Post by Sahan »

Midnight in Paris is the second Woody Allen film I've ever watched, and I also liked it a lot. There's just the whole controversy about his predatory behaviour, so I feel uncomfortable about wanting to see more of his films while he still profits from them.
Destructicus wrote: Alt text:
"I wonder if chemists feel bad that they're always left out of these sorts of jokes."

Since when is chemistry not a science?

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

Sahan wrote:There's just the whole controversy about his predatory behaviour, so I feel uncomfortable about wanting to see more of his films while he still profits from them.
That's what torrenting is for, I guess.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

In my defense* I think at least half of the Woody Allen movies I've seen I didn't know they were his prior to watching.

Actually, I only knew that Blue Jasmine and Midnight in Paris were Allen films, aside from Annie Hall. Most were during or after watching, but also Magic in the Moonlight which was pre-watch but post Netflix-interest. Every other one was after (or during) watching.

*I don't really put any stock in the controversial personal life versus artistic merit discussion.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

W.A. is great. A friend and I are making our way (slowly) through his oeeuuuvrrrre. She didn't like Midnight in Paris, which I'd already seen when we watched it together. I think a large part of it was Owen Wilson though, who I don't have any issue with.

The dinner scene with Annie's family in Annie Hall is one of my favorites.

Felstaff
XKCD spy

Post by Felstaff »

I watched Girlhood t'other day. A nice film about love between friends, much like the love between Andy Dufresne and Red in The Shawshank Redemption.
255 characters of free advertising space? I'm selling these line feather jackets...

Lethal Interjection
Death by Elocution

Liriodendron_fagotti wrote:W.A. is great. A friend and I are making our way (slowly) through his oeeuuuvrrrre. She didn't like Midnight in Paris, which I'd already seen when we watched it together. I think a large part of it was Owen Wilson though, who I don't have any issue with.

The dinner scene with Annie's family in Annie Hall is one of my favorites.
When I first glanced over this post I thought W.A. was referring to Wes Anderson. Who has nothing to do with Midnight In Paris, but has plenty to do with Owen Wilson.

Liriodendron_fagotti
(Eastern Bassoon Poplar)

I can see how that would be confusing. Damn directors and their initials. I do really like Wes Anderson, though, too.

Apocalyptus

Post by Apocalyptus »

Felstaff wrote:I watched Girlhood t'other day. A nice film about love between friends, much like the love between Andy Dufresne and Red in The Shawshank Redemption.
Is that the French one? I've been meaning to see that.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Felstaff
XKCD spy

Post by Felstaff »

Oui. Oui ça l'est.
255 characters of free advertising space? I'm selling these line feather jackets...

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

I just finished A Million Ways to Die in the West. If you haven't guessed, it was terrible. I think I chortled once,* and I was drunk. I can't imagine watching it sober. It has a great cast, and Seth McFarlane has made me laugh a good bit in the past, but the movie just falls terribly flat.

*And that was at them passing off "Mila Kunis" as fake indigenous language. Which I honestly shouldn't have laughed at.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

Apocalyptus

Post by Apocalyptus »

Kaharz wrote:I just finished A Million Ways to Die in the West. If you haven't guessed, it was terrible. I think I chortled once,* and I was drunk. I can't imagine watching it sober. It has a great cast, and Seth McFarlane has made me laugh a good bit in the past, but the movie just falls terribly flat.

*And that was at them passing off "Mila Kunis" as fake indigenous language. Which I honestly shouldn't have laughed at.
Yeah I wasn't too impressed by it either. But I did like the part with the flower and Charlize Theron's character's husband.

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

Watched Tomorrowland yesterday. I'd heard bad things about it. It's not perfect, but it was pleasant, and sometimes pleasant is what you want. But it's actually a nice little kids movie and I actually like that it was trying to present the argument of optimism for the future being important. *goes back to watching dystopian future movies*
King Prawn