LR's MOVIE OF THE NOW

Moderator: Lethal Interjection

zomgmouse
ss No More!

Re: LR's MOVIE OF THE NOW

Post by zomgmouse »

The Bridge on the River Kwai - The first and last fifteen minutes were classic, but the rest was a bit stretched out. And the entire thing made me think I was watching a Blackadder episode.
American Beauty - some good acting and lines/moments, but not as overwhelming as I was led to believe. It felt like a wannabe Short Cuts.
Better chocolate than choconever.

smiley_cow
polite but murderous

Post by smiley_cow »

I finally saw The Secret of Kells today. Beautiful animation, pretty story, and I love how they made the film look like old illustrations from the actual book of Kells, or just from old Irish art in general.
DonRetrasado wrote:Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bitcoin.

Kaharz
This Intentionally Left Blank

Post by Kaharz »

smiley_cow wrote:I finally saw The Secret of Kells today. Beautiful animation, pretty story, and I love how they made the film look like old illustrations from the actual book of Kells, or just from old Irish art in general.
That was a fantastically done movie. I unfortunately watched it streaming, so the image quality was not as good as it would have been on DVD, but it was still fantastic.
Kaharz wrote:I don't need a title. I have no avatar or tagline either. I am unique in my lack of personal identifiers.

zomgmouse
ss No More!

Post by zomgmouse »

The Wizard of Oz. I was all ready to cynically dissect it and make mental snarks, but it was a truly wonderful and magical film. I melted (like the Wicked Witch).

zomgmouse
ss No More!

Post by zomgmouse »

Okay, since nobody's watching any films, i'll just have to go ahead and double-post.
Right:
- Strangers on a Train - gripping and darkly funny
- The Circus - absolutely brilliant
- Gosford Park - masterful, beautiful, subtle
- Dog Day Afternoon - incredibly powerful and human
- The French Connection - a nice ride
- Clerks. - I don't see what all the fuss was about
- Wall Street - really good

carbonstealer
Australia Apologist

Post by carbonstealer »

Clerks is interesting but it is lengthy.

I saw A Few Best Men. I was on the fence about whether or not I was going to love this movie, but I didn't stop laughing the entire time. I think I am going to stop while I'm ahead and not watch it again, just in case it shatters the dream castle
Apocalyptus wrote: Nothing can beat the image of mouth muffling breast implants.

Dindong
[Insert Here]

Post by Dindong »

I finished Twin Peaks and then I watched Fire Walk With Me, which was not very good. There was no need for it, the whole point of Twin Peaks is that they are trying to figure out what happened to Laura Palmer, so in the course of trying they accomplish it. We already basically learn it all in the TV show, there was no need for a prequel film.

The film should have been instead of a 3rd season. It could have tied up every loose end and given Twin Peaks the ending it deserved. Makes me very angry.

I watched Lolita - My second least-favourite Kubrick, but it's still Kubrick so it's good.

I watched Blue Velvet - which was good but I don't think my viewing experience did it enough justice to shine.

Full Metal Jacket - very very good.

Twin Peaks as a series is very enjoyable, just because there's no real ending doesn't mean it's bad, think of it like a kafka book

Kimra
He-Man in a Miniskirt

Post by Kimra »

The ending of Twin Peaks made me want to strangle things. (Is that a spoiler?) Also I think I watched it several years too young. There is such a thing with movies, not that it scared, just that most of it went right over my head. Still don't think I could invest that much time all over again just to get that ending again. -______-

I saw Hugo today. I thought it was charming, but I am sad there was not really any magic / fantasy to it at all. I took what I wanted from the ad and assumed it was something it wasn't. It was still charming. But if you want more than a beautiful clockwork machine figure you are barking up the wrong tree. I feel that ad (or my assumptions) did that movie a disservice. Besides that the movie was beautiful, stunning visually, the story was sweet, and the acting / direction good.

Hugo: It felt like watching a foreign film in English... except the lipsink was good.
King Prawn

DonRetrasado
los más retrasadadados

Post by DonRetrasado »

Dindong wrote:I finished Twin Peaks and then I watched Fire Walk With Me, which was not very good. There was no need for it, the whole point of Twin Peaks is that they are trying to figure out what happened to Laura Palmer, so in the course of trying they accomplish it. We already basically learn it all in the TV show, there was no need for a prequel film.
From what I understand, Twin Peaks had almost nothing to do with trying to figure out what happened to Laura Palmer, it was more about the characters. The decision to actually find a murderer was handed down by network executives and was a widely criticized move, since at the start of the show they had no ending in mind at all.

EDIT: Also, David Lynch was only involved in the first season, so there's that, too.
Astrogirl wrote:Lethal, nobody wants to know about your herpes.
Lethal Interjection wrote:That's good to know. I can avoid a few awkward phone calls now.

Dindong
[Insert Here]

Post by Dindong »

I didn't mean it was all about that, but that was the premise. And so it meant that they were finding stuff out about her, so we already knew all of it, there was absolutely no need for a prequel if all the information is revealed in the show itself.

I realise it was about the characters, I loved the characters. I was very much involved in the lives of the characters and supporting them and hoping the best for the ones I really liked. The decision to find a murderer, while it probably led to the end of the show, wasn't all bad. I really enjoyed the stuff about the black lodge and Bob and Mike and everything.

I'm pretty sure David Lynch was involved past the first season given that he directed the season finale of the second season. A very well-directed episode, the whole black lodge was just great.

zomgmouse
ss No More!

Post by zomgmouse »

Twin Peaks was a bit like Gosford Park in that the murder came second to the character study (spoiler?). The second season was pretty enjoyable, but the first is just classic. I haven't watched Fire Walk with Me yet, but I will, just because I'm a completist.

I watched Mommie Dearest yesterday as a special screening in a cinema; we watched it with commentary by John Waters, which pretty much made it bearable. So hilariously awful!

Dindong
[Insert Here]

Post by Dindong »

Speaking of David Lynch I watched Wild at Heart today. Also enjoyable.

zomgmouse
ss No More!

Post by zomgmouse »

Paths of Glory. Early Kubrick. Very clever and bitter satire.

Apocalyptus
Not what you were expecting

Post by Apocalyptus »

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension
I had never seen it before and knew next to nothing about it except it was some sort of weird sci-fi cult film from the 80s.
After being really confused for the first 10 minutes I accepted the onslaught of weirdness and cheese and really enjoyed it.
Plus, young Jeff Goldblum as a surprise eye-candy bonus didn't hurt.
Kimra wrote:Next they'll be denying us the right to say "We'll rape your arse if you don't come to this fucken country."

Edminster
Tested positive for Space-AIDS

Post by Edminster »

Apocalyptus wrote:The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension
I had never seen it before and knew next to nothing about it except it was some sort of weird sci-fi cult film from the 80s.
After being really confused for the first 10 minutes I accepted the onslaught of weirdness and cheese and really enjoyed it.
Plus, young Jeff Goldblum as a surprise eye-candy bonus didn't hurt.
The reason you were confused is that there were actually seven or eight movies of history and several novels and comics behind it that never actually got made because the writer kept throwing them out because they weren't perfect.

It's a rich and complete universe that only has a single movie, which is an incredible shame.
ol qwerty bastard wrote:bitcoin is backed by math, and math is intrinsically perfect and logically consistent always

gödel stop spreading fud